GNG, 1000W 48V BB-drive, $400

actually only 4 tools I used to make this kit, a file, a saw for steel, a drill and this piece to open up holes in aluminum, http://www.ebay.com/itm/251545932787 2 hours of work and the bar is made ​​of aluminum cost me € 15 1000mm x 7mm x 3mm, everything else for those who already have the original kit, disassemble only those parts of Chinese low quality, heavy and ugly and imagination will give air

Thanks, just dropped my M10-1.50 and wasnt sure what the size was before I found this info..... Saved me some time. LR thanks :D

LightningRods said:
emilx said:
I lost the nut that holds the sprocket on the motor shaft, but the GNG doesn't know what type it is. Can anyone of you tell me how can I find this nut?

The jackshaft nut is an M10-1.5mm. The driver nut is probably an M14-1.5mm.

ebike11 said:
Hi LR, you mentioned in that post that none of these parts are compatible with the GNG BB. However, are the parts compatible if purchased and used with your BB?

By "BB" I meant the bottom bracket axle cassette, not the lower sheets that fit to the BB shell. The Cyclone ISIS BB fits both the GNG lower sheets as well as my adjustable lower sheets. I make 219 sprocket adapters for both the GNG BB cassette and the Cyclone ISIS BB cassette. No parts interchange between the GNG BB and Cyclone ISIS BB.

ebike11 said:
Hi guys, plan on pulling the trigger soon and was wondering, if the front derallieur is to be removed in order to install the mid drive, where does the shift cable that is on the deralliur go to??
Thanks!

If you have a 68mm wide BB shell you should be able to run three sprockets. One will be the driven secondary sprocket so you will have two final drive chainwheels to shift between with your front derailleur. You shouldn't have to do anything more than to adjust the derailleur stop so it doesn't try to shift onto the outside chainwheel. It seems that 148mm is the axle length for 68mm, 73mm, 83mm and 100mm ISIS BB cassettes. On the wider BB shells there is nothing to do but trial fit the chainwheels. Interference from other components like rear suspension parts on FS bikes is more of an issue.

hi,

the LR conversion thread is probably the wrong for this question so here again.

can someone post a link to this asian (chinese?) onlineshop where the typical GNG motor and also the big block motor can be ordered ?
it drives me crazy to look trough all the chinese onlinestores spitting out hundres of 48volt motors

any bad experiences with those onlinestores or also good ones for sure !!

thanks

gernot

I thought the #25HD chain was tiny.....LEGObikee.jpg

With this wrap around my homemade nylon spindle, not only is it greatly quieter, but feels more "direct" like a transmission rather than sprockets and chain. It has much less power wasted through the original rubber belt and is more snappy.
These guys are great for #25 bits http://www.staton-inc.com/home.shtml

dreadedsepentine.jpg
dreadedserpentinecu.jpg

Just got some 18s batteries. So I will need to reprogram my Lyen controller. I have tried emailing him but haven't had any answer.

Could anyone post a screenshot of their lyen settings for a GNG motor?

notger said:
hi,

the LR conversion thread is probably the wrong for this question so here again.

can someone post a link to this asian (chinese?) onlineshop where the typical GNG motor and also the big block motor can be ordered ?
it drives me crazy to look trough all the chinese onlinestores spitting out hundres of 48volt motors

any bad experiences with those onlinestores or also good ones for sure !!

thanks

gernot

I suggest ordering from bht or sending hagop torossian a message on facebook. Because his big blocks have half the kv of lightning rods. A key opportunity to get rid of that huge diameter primary and jump logs on a gng.

Also guys...is there a chain and sprockets that are similar to the 219 chain??
At the moment Im using a regular bike chain between the stock gng secondary sprocket and the large crank wheel.

Im looking for a chain and sprockets that are quieter. I upgraded from the gng 8mm to 25 chain on the primary side and the noise dropped a lot so Im satified on that side

The thing with the 219 chain is you need to buy a chainbreaker and the chains arent so cheap or easy to buy where Im located

Greetings!

My jackshaft has twisted in half.
I don't think this is very common. I'm running the chain primary @48v / 35a and have put more than 5000 entertaining km on it. Can someone suggest a supplier for a direct replacement jackshaft axel?
Vance

I think you'll need to go back to GNG themselves for that.
Otherwise, consider upgrading the whole jackshaft and top sheets assembly with LR gear. Probably a little more exensive, but relatively you've gotten excellent value from your kit so far so on a per km/smile basis its cheap regardless :)

The newest GNG kit has upgraded to a 20mm wide primary belt (stock was 15mm wide), so they are trying. I assume they are feeling the heat of competition?

The #25 chain primary mod (linked in the first post of this thread) seems to work well if your user-profile is hard on the belts. That being said, I am told the belt is quieter than the chain, and replacing the worn belt every few hundred km is not horribly expensive, so...you must decide between reraltively trouble-free, cheap and noisy, or...slightly quieter along with the cost a new belt once in a while.

Did anyone try plastic #25 chain?
http://www.plastockonline.com/100t0800df-2-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.aspx
http://www.robotshop.com/en/0-25-inch-pitch-plastic-chain.html

Attachments

• 0-25-inch-pitch-plastic-chain.jpg
    0-25-inch-pitch-plastic-chain.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 5,400
Hey people,

sadly my jackshaft broke in two pieces :?
Which parts do I have to order from lightningrods?
In my understanding the jackshaft should be enough, but do the bearings and the housing (original GNG) fit to LR's jackshaft?

I really need some advice :) Please help
Greetings from Germany

spinningmagnets said:
Please post a picture, since there have been a couple variations of the GNG kit found.
Here are the pictures:

Gonna edit later the measurings in here. Didn't have so much time now, I think I will have to upgrade to 219# sprocket, because LR's jackshaft is 12mm diameter?

I think Michael Backus uses also metric systems for his jackshaft?
11mm=0.433070866 inches
12mm=0.472440945 inches

Does his jackshaft fit?

Thanks for your help spinningmagnets :)

Hello,
I need to set parameter P1 for my Conhismotor controller. Does anybody know how much magnets has GNG rotor? I saw disassembled motor and it seems there are 8 magnets.
Thanks

Mike uses metric for his hardware. I've added some tool-guide images on the LR kit thread here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57720&start=2525

Mike used to sell straight replacements for the GNG kit. His LR-kit jackshaft uses a 25mm wide freewheeled belt pulley and a #219 non-freewheel sprocket...I don't know if he still sells upgraded GNG parts or if he's just focusing on his own kit now, but he's only a PM away.

You'd have to ask him if the pulley side fits the stock GNG pulley and if he can install a bike freewheel on the sprocket side...or he might still do GNG style.

I think Michael is busy with his work. But I won't get his jackshaft without waiting 2 or 3 weeks for it. So I muddled something together, it works, but needs some more adjustment and some more reduction...
Going from 13 to 70, from 44 to 32. I have to order a 22t to replace it with the 44t. Hope it works good, time will tell. Maybe I optimize this assembly, I don't want to pedal anyways...

It worked on the first test round :twisted:

Yep some adjustment and It should run reliably...

I wonder what it's like to pedal with such short cranks mounted on the swing arm.

Like trying to pedal while riding across a trampoline :shock:

Back