GNG Trike motor 2500W & Golf Cart Motor with 4 speed

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Just curious if anyone has seen any details on the motors used in these kits:

http://www.gngebike.com/48v2500w.htm

And the gold car kit comes with a transmission that might be adaptable as a mid-drive (make the axle into a short out-put shaft).

http://www.gngebike.com/trike-conversion-kits

Can't seem to get more details on the "60V 1200W BRUSHLESS PERMANENT MAGNET TRIKE KIT MOTOR (WITH CONTROLLER)" second from the bottom on this page, but since they seem to be offering adapters to the trike motor kits for bicycle freewheels, might be really easy to use and have a 4 speed transmission, going to give them an email and see what I can find out.

I would think this would be a very sweet mid-drive if you can get it as shown with a 4 speed gear box, and short axle to attach #35 or similar chain to (usually the chain is motorcycle chain on the trikes, but I'm sure it could be easily adapted)

crossbreak said:
look here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42785&start=780#p674712

Hmmm, I only see the BB motor kit listed there, can you point out where the motors I am asking about are highlighted?

I believe the link refers only to the BB Drive, am I wrong?

2200w not good enough for ya? :lol:
There's a 2500w lurking out there somewhere. I just wanted to point out the company of origin.

neptronix said:
2200w not good enough for ya? :lol:
There's a 2500w lurking out there somewhere. I just wanted to point out the company of origin.

Depends! If I have that 4 speed gear-box included, even the "800W" rated motor might be enough, but I would rather use a motor at it's designed rating than try and over-watt something that isn't designed for it. :wink:

I'm only thinking that some of these motors with fins already attached might be set-up to do what the average person wants on the smaller sized say 1800W and below rated motors (and lets face it, many of the motors are just paired with a different controller, especially the "trike motors" running motorcycle 420 chain to determine the wattage changing with just the power put into it).

But if I am running a heavy cargo bike, I would want the biggest motor that I can reasonably afford/fit and use so that it's not being over-stressed, given that it will operate at a RPM that makes sense for climbing hills first, and speed on flats second.

As a bicycle tourist once said to me "what flats?!" when I commented on the low gearing of his bike, since I like to have gearing for speed and climbing generally, and his idea of a good touring bike was sturdy, low geared, dependable and cheap (He had a nice older Peugeot that didn't look like much, and he typically would stop by all the local bike shops around his route while touring across the US, scrounging old tubes/tires from the cast-offs a business throws out because it's not cost effective sell old tires/tubes not to mention liability.)

since a heavily laden bike whether pedal or electric powered won't have any "flat land" speed concerns half as much as just getting that heavy load down the road at a reasonable speed (bicycle speeds 7 - 15 mph is just fine for a cargo/touring bike as long as you get reasonable efficiency), so the low end torque and efficiency is more of a concern than speed or weight.

Back