Going as fast as you can on 250Watts

Modbikemax

1 kW
I know what you are saying 'get a bigger motor' right!
Well that will happen in due course.
But I like a challenge.
I found a Bafang 36v 250w motor on gumtree for A$20 nice start, controller $29 ebay, Repco speedlite steel lugged frame and Velocity 700c rim $40 at a swapmeet. etc
So far so good. About $300 and some shed time later this is what was born.
30kph no pedalling. 35kph pedalling and after that I just run out of gears but I love the simplicity. One button throttle, one brake lever and one gear. All up 14kg.
It a blast to ride. :D

Attachments

• yellow 1.jpg
    yellow 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,198
  • yellow 2.jpg
    yellow 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,198
  • yellow 3.jpg
    yellow 3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,198
  • yellow 4.jpg
    yellow 4.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,198
  • yellow 5.jpg
    yellow 5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,198
  • yellow 6.jpg
    yellow 6.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2,198
  • yellow 7.jpg
    yellow 7.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,198
  • yellow 9.jpg
    yellow 9.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2,198
That is a Masterpiece, perhaps the most elegant Ebike I have seen! Bravo.
Do you have any pics of the battery box, I assume it is the long piece with the checker pattern?

BikeFanatic said:
That is a Masterpiece, perhaps the most elegant Ebike I have seen! Bravo.
Do you have any pics of the battery box, I assume it is the long piece with the checker pattern?

It is more of a battery channel than a box. I didn't take photos sorry.
2 x 50mm x 25mm x 3mm angle aluminium. I used the existing down tube shifter lugs on the front and silver soldered a second set taken from another frame to the back tube.
The batteries are 50mm x 48mm and sit in the channel. They are held in with checker tape.
The cables meet in the middle and are connected in the black box under the channel.
Light weight, strong aero dynamic and simple.

The only other things I can think for you to do, wihtout changing bikes completely, would be to increase the aero of the bike and yourself. Since lycra is out for you based on your reply in another thread, ;) then the tightest-fitting clothes you can wear would help. Narrow drop bars might help, too, depending on your riding position (which will also help).

Some fairings or partial fairings would also help, but those will depend on your riding position since you yourself are the main thing that has to have the wind re-routed around. The bike itself isn't that big a drag, compared to the rider. ;)

Great work mate!

Where'd you get the dual brake lever from?

Grinhill said:
Great work mate!

Where'd you get the dual brake lever from?

It's sold by screaming roo on ebay for petrol power assist motors. There are other suppliers too but he is in Perth and delivery is 1-2 days.
I use them on all my bikes now, e and non e, for more efficient braking, I found that I was mostly using the front brake only and this system always engages both. It also frees up your left hand for the throttle button and gives a nice uncluttered look.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorised-Bicycle-Motorized-Bike-Parts-Dual-Cable-Brake-Lever-/281011692094?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item416d9a223e

Made a major upgrade today with a new Aerospoke wheel. Smooth as silk and cool as hell. :D
Early tests are promising.

Attachments

• Aero Spoke 1.jpg
    Aero Spoke 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,877
  • Aero Spoke 2.jpg
    Aero Spoke 2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,877
  • Aero Spoke 3.jpg
    Aero Spoke 3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,877
  • yellow volt meter.jpg
    yellow volt meter.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,877
I like the positioning of the controller. It gets cooled, protects the wires exiting from the axle with a nice broad 'skid plate', and keeps the phase wires short.

How are you getting along with the single brake lever function?

gogo said:
I like the positioning of the controller. It gets cooled, protects the wires exiting from the axle with a nice broad 'skid plate', and keeps the phase wires short.

How are you getting along with the single brake lever function?

I can get the wheel off easily without lots of connectors. The fewer connectors the less likely one will let you down.
All the interlocks have been removed all that's left is power and the on/off button.
Short wires to the motor are important to get the most from the limited power reducing losses and they are all soldered.

I have four bikes with the single lever. Stopping is more effective since you always activate both and it keeps everything clean and simple. Everyone that has had a ride on them get it right away without the confusion of levers twist grips and gear changers.

New black motor with sightly higher gearing laced into a nice black rim and black spokes.
A smaller controller looks neater with even shorter wiring.
I think it looks a bit better.
Now does 34 kph.

Attachments

• yellow 10.jpg
    yellow 10.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,651
  • yellow 12.jpg
    yellow 12.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,651
  • yellow 15.jpg
    yellow 15.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,651
  • yellow 13.jpg
    yellow 13.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,651
In case you were wondering, mounting the controller on the axle makes it dead easy to get the wheel out.
The motor and controller can easily be put on another bike too.

Attachments

• yellow 16.jpg
    yellow 16.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,651
I like it, but that torque arm isn't doing a damn thing (not that you need it with 250 watts). The two metal pieces of the arm need to be welded together. Otherwise, the arm is just sliding up and down the fork, with rotation at the middle bolt.

itchynackers said:
I like it, but that torque arm isn't doing a damn thing (not that you need it with 250 watts). The two metal pieces of the arm need to be welded together. Otherwise, the arm is just sliding up and down the fork, with rotation at the middle bolt.

Yeah you are right, it is very tight but I don't like it. It's untidy and ugly. The heat shrink tries to hide it.
I plan at some point to braze on a bracket and at the same time braze on a few other brackets to tidy up the cables and some for a mudguard. It means a repaint but the weather is crap at the moment for painting.
I might even make a better bracket for the axle, the one shown is a bit loose so the axle can still move.
A bracket that clamps onto the axle is a much better idea.

Back