Golden motor 48v HPM3000B problem

san123

1 µW
Hello all,
I recently bought 48v 3kw motor & VEC-240 controller from golden motor.
Problems I am facing are :-
1. At no load, RPM is 4000 , but in the given datasheet on website,it shows around 4700 RPM at no load.
2. Motor gets hot easily even at no load conditions.
3. Shaft is very hard to rotate by hand...I have heard that shaft of motor should turn easily with hand. But it takes much effort to turn the shaft.

Please tell me what should I do...Should I replace the motor with new one?

1. measure the phase resistance and resistance to ground. disconnect phase waires from controller first. are the phase wire shorted to ground? . the phase wires have been damaged by heat or corrosion, or mechanical stress and are in electrical contact with the stator iron, this causes difficulty in controlling the motor and causes more heat if it runs at all.
2. does the motor have hall sensors. one may be damaged, causing rough running and heat. does the motor sound smooth?
3. bad bearings or foriegn object or material in gap . this would usually be noticeable in sound also .
4 magnets have lost power resulting in poor performance. usually damaged by heat.
5. controller damaged. usually noticable in heat of controller or noise. also could be programmed wrong.
6. and this could be the simplest thing. your hall/phase combination is wrong. try all 12 and see if you get improvments, what is your no load current?

if its that hard to turn by hand its probably the bearings, phases shorted, or your motor is full of shit!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

to be honest i have had a few of these motors and the actual wiring between phases and halls does not match on most of them. So please do go through and check the different hall connections, pretty sure i had to swap green and yellow on about 2 motors out of 4. Also in regards to turning the shaft, if you are holding it with vice grips or something yes it will turn easy, but just gripping it by hand it will take quite a bit of effort. A better check would be to make sure it kind of jumps from angle to angle when you do turn it rather then been a smooth but hard effort to turn.

Bluefang said:
to be honest i have had a few of these motors and the actual wiring between phases and halls does not match on most of them. So please do go through and check the different hall connections, pretty sure i had to swap green and yellow on about 2 motors out of 4. Also in regards to turning the shaft, if you are holding it with vice grips or something yes it will turn easy, but just gripping it by hand it will take quite a bit of effort. A better check would be to make sure it kind of jumps from angle to angle when you do turn it rather then been a smooth but hard effort to turn.
yes it kind of jumps from angle to angle when i turn it...
and the motor runs when the connections are made according to connection diagram given by golden motor..so should i still swap the green and yellow wire ?
and i think shaft doesn't turn easily by hand because there is key slot on shaft so i cannot get proper grip to hold the shaft by hand...

Sounds normal to me :) yes try changing the yellow and green hall wire connections first. If that fails try the other 4 hall combinations. 1 should work perfect but may go in the wrong direction tho.

Bluefang said:
Sounds normal to me :) yes try changing the yellow and green hall wire connections first. If that fails try the other 4 hall combinations. 1 should work perfect but may go in the wrong direction tho.
Are you referring to phase wires or hall sensor wires?

do which ever is easier for you to disconnect and then reconnect :) I did halls because i always remove and solder the connections so i can just twist them for testing then solder later. Its just a bit odd that the controllers don't have proper color coding with the motors they sell.

Good luck, it just takes a little patience to get it going.

Back