Golden Motors - New Smart-Pie Motor?

the 36v 12 ah battery i get around 17 mph on flat ground. minimal pedaling keeps it over 20mph. wife gets around 19 to 20mph with the 36v however she weighs about half what i do lol. its a nice kit and a lot of fun to ride.

Just received my magic pie 3 48v 15ah
had a rough time getting here, box hade a big hole in it,rim out of round
took it to local bike shop to true rim,guess they didnt tighten spokes enough
made it three block before spokes came out. internet said do not run radial spokes ,as it came
so longer spokes on its way to put at least one cross in the spokes
ther than that it worked fine, cruise was smooth, the hub is big enugh to start out on 26 in rims with no assist
it growled alittle bit at start,but as soon as the wheel started to turn it went silent
225 lbs plus bike and motor stuff, i think motor was 5 lbs
had no chain on bike and no brakes used regen to slow down worked fine
top speed was 45 km out of the box

Attachments

• Photo641.jpg
    Photo641.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 2,313
Wow, "Banana seat and sissy bars". Isn't that what we used to call them :)

Awesome before picture, where is the pie?

I love that eco -pack bag. I made a video of it over here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK2i0qe3WW4">here<a>.

Sound sucks. I'll probably do a better sound track.

Gary

Not sure why you need longer spokes. There were spoke issues with the MP1. That was corrected with the spoke pattern in MP2. Now with the mp3 I think spoke issues are almost non existent. As far as I can recall I think I only sent out spokes once last summer and not sure when before that.

Edit: whoops forgot this is about the smart pie. I don't think i heard of anyone with issues on the smart pie Spokes.

Gary

you run straight radial spokes
mine is a magic pie 3
and came with straight spokes,no spoke cross
felt very unstable
the back wheel with the banana seat is taking 80 % of the weight
really felt the wheel flex
im hoping crossed spoke will stop this
unless you can tell me different
laurence

i bought a magic pie 3 with internal controller, lastest a few weeks until it rained, controller failure, decided it was too heavy anyway so i replaced it with a smart pie, lasted a few weeks until it rained, replaced the faulty controller with a new one which turned out to be dead straight out of the box, i now use a bafang, i'm considering trying an external controller on the smart pie one day, when i've calmed down a bit (i still shudder from the experience) anybody else had this problem? its a nice motor with seemingly shoddy electrics

supermosfet said:
i bought a magic pie 3 with internal controller, lastest a few weeks until it rained, controller failure, decided it was too heavy anyway so i replaced it with a smart pie, lasted a few weeks until it rained, replaced the faulty controller with a new one which turned out to be dead straight out of the box, i now use a bafang, i'm considering trying an external controller on the smart pie one day, when i've calmed down a bit (i still shudder from the experience) anybody else had this problem? its a nice motor with seemingly shoddy electrics
I have and I have read a few more (2 or 3) that also have had problems with the internal controller on the SmartPie. I swapped mine for a external one from Lyen. http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=4747.
First fault I had was a loose connector inside the controller, easy fix. Next time I had the controller die completely (shorted FET IIRC) probably due to moisture since it was a lot of water inside it when it fried.
If you consider using more money on the smartPie you should also read this http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=4637

I'm now using the smartPie on my secondary (read never used) bike and I use a Qute 100 on my main bike.

Good luck.

Back