Good reliable source for A123 pouch cells?

dutchlincoln

100 W
Hello,
I want to make me a good pack of reliable cells.
I also do read a lot about bad cells, scammers, Mr. Devries, Sangesf, etcetera..

Can anyone give me a good and decent adress proven reliable, safe, and providing good cells?

Thanks!.

dutchlincoln said:
Hello,
I want to make me a good pack of reliable cells.
I also do read a lot about bad cells, scammers, Mr. Devries, Sangesf, etcetera..

Can anyone give me a good and decent adress proven reliable, safe, and providing good cells?

Thanks!.
Victpower is where doctorbass bought a pile of a123 20ah cells.

This is a good question and one which is being debated on this and other forums pretty intensively. What is an A123? And do the Chinese have the same concept of it as westerners have? This seems to be in question. My mother-in-law brings lots of "Nike", and "Mickey Mouse", and other things for the kids that any westerner would immediately recognize as counterfeits. Is it the same with batteries? I intend to go to China to investigate exactly this issue, among others.

A123 has been suggested to be a name given to anything with LiFePo constructed in certain ways, and not actually anything from the A123 factories, although perhaps cloned to look like it. Is this reasonable a suggestion or outrageous? I have no idea. However, it is certainly worth investigating. Others have suggested that A123 are just that, only the factory rejects. The Chinese A123 factory is near Victpower, and OSN. So, it is possible. However, I am pretty skeptical. Some say genuine from USA, or Korea. However, this involves lots of shuffling.

Victpower has a factory with 100-200 employees according to Alibaba. OSN has between 11-50 employees. However, there is a factory a province away (less as the crow flies), the Jiangxi Jingang Energy Technology Co., which was the official provider of batteries for the 2008 Olympics which has between 500-1000 employees and the capability of producing 30,000ah a month. These are in my estimation likely the real guys. Not that the others aren't. However, getting the Olympic nod is a big deal (I know, because "Uncle" Liu was a producer of carved statues with Pakistani rock, and it is difficult to get the Olympic moniker and severely punished for fraudulent claims). Now, whether you can get small quantities from them I do not know. My guess without having travelled there yet is that this factory is the real deal, and makes the lion share of batteries, and for a price, makes the technology for producing batteries in various styles available to the other players. Victpower produces batteries, but I have read from their literature that they specialized in the round tubes style. However, my guess is that they are now producing the prismatic pouches because they saw a market, and getting better at it. OSN, I haven't researched yet, but they seem to specialize in customer service. Both have spent lots of time on reaching a western audience, and have no problems with dealing with smaller quantities. Whether one is better than the other only time will tell. However, whether they are genuine A123 as westerners would expect brand wise is perhaps doubtful. You just need to get feedback from trusted sources (and Doctorbass is that, but you might not get the same treatment because you carry less weight) and make your own educated guess. What really matters is the quality that shows up at your door. Also, just because someone gives a certain testimonial on ES means nothing. Be cautious, and good luck.

I am in a dilemma...I am looking for 50pcs if possible "USA made" with full tabs cells.
OSN offers me 30$ per cell.
BUT
Victpower is waaaay cheaper and also offer 1 year warranty.
I have already make some business with OSN Power and I was very satisfied. With Victopower do not have any experiences.

Any advice?

If you buy from victpower you have to buy extra's just for the build and then a spare. New at 20usd. must be of a lower grade. To get that price victpower buys a mixed batch of grades as what they can get there hands on. Don't buy a premade pack from victpower as I have seen pics of solder tabs.

20 bucks a cell ain't bad at all.
Just wonder what the quality is...

I have 2 victpower battery packs of 48 volts at 40Ah (32 cells) bought through a friend of mine.
Not sure how much they exactly were, soldered indeed, and some swollen cells...
So, i need some to replace these cells.

How can i check capacity and quality from the other cells?

Dutchlincoln is it pack solder togethere ? I think victpower just takes any cells off the self for a pack build. Dumumn has wrote about the steps to find out about the capacity of a pack and how to check. Can't find it right now.

dutchlincoln said:
20 bucks a cell ain't bad at all.
Just wonder what the quality is...

I have 2 victpower battery packs of 48 volts at 40Ah (32 cells) bought through a friend of mine.
Not sure how much they exactly were, soldered indeed, and some swollen cells...
So, i need some to replace these cells.

How can i check capacity and quality from the other cells?

do you have any knowledge of the history of the cells that were puffed up?

was the pack ever kept in compression and still puffed up? or was it just loose stacked pouches next to each other with no compression?

Hi

Other than they are brand new, i know nothing.
They are firmly wrapped in ductape as one compact package.

i think these are the first reports of puffing in these cells.

is it organized into a pack under a BMS so you can charge it up and then discharge it to determine the capacity of the puffers?

It has a bms, but its a simple one i think, i see them around a lot.
I intend to charge each 2P cell with a RC charger and discharg them in order to determine rest capacity.
Then, when a 2P pack has less capacity, i want to disassemble that 2P pack and check the individual cells.

I guess this is the only good reliable option...

That's why i was looking for a good RC charger.
I think about a hyperion 1420 duo charger, or a cellpro powerlab 8 (or the clone from hobbyking)

i think i already explained to you once how to find the capacity. you should be able to get the pack to balance if it has a BMS so you should use that under a bulk charger to balance and fully charge the pack and then discharge it into a sufficient load to measure the capacity.

tomaj said:
Victpower...20,5$ per cell.
It is a great price for new, "USA made", full tab cells.
Really?
I thought Victpower and others say there is low supply of A123 20Ah.
And still $20/cell?
From my experience Victpower pouches were better than from A123 RC.
Victpower all marked A0 in the middle of cell.

Back