Got fried by Col. Sanders today. eBike vs pedal

thundercamel said:
speedmd said:
Playing games is just going to get all us riding -liking e-bikes banned from most greenways.
Agreed, be respectful, as long as they are. I almost had a lyrca crash into me because he didn't obey a stop sign or look over his shoulder for traffic. Yelled "BOO!" into his ear as I passed him right after.

"go gently into the night" . Lots of places where stuff comes at you and folks just don't pay close enough attention. Walkers looking at their phones with ear phones, little kids, pets....etc. I ride many more hours -miles on the road bike than my ebikes and fear runners and dogs more than anything other than hostile drivers-riders. I have a running list of plates or descriptions of openly hostile bone heads. I remember one of the ES e-mtn bikers posting his ordeal getting his clock cleaned by someone he buzzed one too many times. If I recall, he ended up crawling around a bit dazed and not easily getting back out of the trail with his wrecked ebike. A few yahoos got bikes (ALL OF THEM) banned from some great trail networks out west. Story was the Judge had their strava data in court. It did not go well for them and all of us! Dumb Mo Fo's! Everyone is watching my friends.

Dropped by a roadie... You make us look bad with an extremely underpowered ebike :lol:

You are supposed to smoke and embarrass those skinny snobs, then turn a corner and get back to cruising.

I've had some sucker try to one up me in the city, I stopped at every red light, he blew each one, I caught back to him in seconds and blew past him faster and faster the more he did it, fun times.

Tommm said:

Just let the Lycra roadies pass you and be ok with that, be fine with Lycras passing you. I've had a few ebikers pass me and I know it did not feel good to swallow your pride and ego. I've had a ebiker pass me as I was walking up a hill with the last wimpy motor I burnt up. It did not feel good to me. Another ebiker did pass me while I was on a leisurely cruise and it was fine, he was probably headed home after a long hard days work, whereas I had the entire day off and was fishing the entire day.

markz said:
Tommm said:

Just let the Lycra roadies pass you and be ok with that, be fine with Lycras passing you. I've had a few ebikers pass me and I know it did not feel good to swallow your pride and ego. I've had a ebiker pass me as I was walking up a hill with the last wimpy motor I burnt up. It did not feel good to me. Another ebiker did pass me while I was on a leisurely cruise and it was fine, he was probably headed home after a long hard days work, whereas I had the entire day off and was fishing the entire day.

Yep. I have an ebike for transportation. Enjoyable transportation, but transportation nonetheless. Motor assist kicks out at 28mph per AZ law and also because that's a sensible top cruising speed for my bike. If a roadie can pass me at 28mph, more power to her or him. I'm not racing.

Tommm said:
I've had some sucker try to one up me in the city, I stopped at every red light, he blew each one, I caught back to him in seconds and blew past him faster and faster the more he did it, fun times.

I rode home in a suit once. Was running late, so not only had no time to change, but was pedalling to add to the bike's power for those last few km/h

I passed a really fit looking woman on a track bike. I suspect at least semi-pro, as most people don't commute with 80mm deep wheels at the front, full cover wheels on the rear, and profile bars. Not drop bars, full blown profile bars that would make looking forward difficult. She's doing a fair clip - at least 40km/h, but my bike can do low 40s on battery alone, and I can push it to mid 40s by assisting it, and so I did pass her at a believable speed.

My bike is by no means stealthy, but I am discrete. Q100H in the rear, everything else tiny and hidden in the pannier. No shark pack, no visible controller. If you couldn't get a good look at it, you could easily mistake the motor for an IGH.

At the next set of lights, I see her trying to discretely look at my bike. Bottom bracket? All normal. Triangle? It's a translucent water bottle, no battery. Handle bars? Standard bike computer. Rear rack? Not a sign of battery or cabling in sight. Each glance, her confusion slowly turns into scowl.

I was waiting for the inevitable "is that an electric bike?", to which I would have "confessed" immediately. But with me clearly out of breath, she probably figured that I was genuinely pedalling, and she said nothing, and we split ways at the next intersection.

I do wonder if she felt so disappointed that day, that some guy in a suit was able to pass her on a track bike. I generally feel no more joy in passing cyclists on my eBike than I feel passing them on my motorbike. It just doesn't make sense any more than someone in a forklift feeling proud they can lift more than world champion weight lifters. But for some reason, perhaps because she couldn't bring herself to ask, and the obviousness of her emotions on her face... this memory brings me joy.

I passed a really fit looking woman on a track bike

Most normal guys would have hung back and enjoyed the view a few KM. Fortunately, I have not yet needed the medicine to help for this. :lol:
BTW, the Q100 is relatively obvious and her scowl most likely from her getting pulled into a different warm up-workout than what was planned.

Not sure if you're trolling, or you think too much with your lower brain... I enjoy the female form as much as most other guys, but don't let it over ride my decisions, such as being on time. As I said, I was in a rush.

And again, nobody can read another's mind - either me determining whether you're trolling regarding a Q100 being obvious, nor you trying read the thoughts of a woman you've never met or seen. But I had the advantage of seeing where her glance was going, and how her expression changed as she was obviously looking for something she didn't find.

Anyway. The Q100 in field oriented control is dead silent, and while anyone knowing what they are looking for, this is obviously an electric bike, I'd say few others on first glance would think so:

20200419_100009.jpg

I'd say given your salty reactions to others in this thread, I'm gonna guess you're really proud of your riding past and are trolling. Sorry mate, not into that game. I have no ego to think that I am fast. I raced in Grade C, right on the border of breaking into B a decade ago when riding was part of my training for a triathlon, but even had I been an olympic candidate, I'd still hold the same view. I am not in any way the same category for someone who rides for fitness or competition.

Are you suggesting a dedicated cyclist can not see your hub motor from a few meters behind you? Bags do look like they hide it well from the side, but found it a bit hard to bite as it was served. Nice looking commuter BTW.

Call me what you like, ICGAF, but I do ride ebikes, road, Mtn and cross and do have a short tolerance with various cycling groups tearing at each other. Salty fits.

cheers

Back