Greg's Stinky Build

I figure it's time I finally post how my first build is going. Hopefully someone will find this info useful and make a few less mistakes than I did :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here's a pic of what my bike looks like right now:
stinky.jpg
Bike: 2004 Kona Stinky Large

I wanted a full suspension, solid all mouintain bike for my build and the Stinky seemed like a great choice. I got a large frame based on Endless Sphere recommendations to get a bigger bike than usual for electric (I'm 5'6"). The Large was about as big as big as I could handle, and the 2004 frame happened to be the last year that Kona used a larger triangle frame which will be great for mounting some batteries. Full suspension was a must for offroad use, and a used bike was necessary to save $$$.

Motor: Hi-PowerCycles HT3525-ish Custom Crystalyte laced in Alexrims Supra BH DH Rim
wheel.jpg
I chose the HPC Crystalyte motor because I wanted tons of torque, light weight, and ability to handle high wattage. This motor should be slightly better than the standard HT3525 at high power levels. It’s advertised as having better Magnets, upgraded phase wires, longer windings, honeywell hall sensors, wider stator, better laminations, and its wound for 55kph at 72V. This motor is a slightly slower wind of the "Striker" motor they are currently selling. I'd guess its probably more like an HT3520. I mentioned being on ES to Hi-powercycles and that I could pick it up locally, and they were nice enough to give me a pretty big discount on the motor. I know they get a lot of flak on this site (some deserved) but for me they have been extremely responsive and helpful. I look forward to doing some testing on the motor and posting results here to see if there is indeed a significant improvement over the standard HT motor.

I had them build the motor into an Alexrims Supra BH DH rim with 13/14g Sapim spokes. I specifically chose a stong heavy downhill rim because I’ll be going off road and don’t want to constantly worry about taco-ing my rims.

Other Wheel Purchases:
Kenda Presta DH Tube 2.4"-2.7" (Super heavy, thickest tube I could find, $12x2 Outside Outfitters)
Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4" Tires (Decently low rolling resistance on road, some traction off road, $64 Outside Outfitters)
Mr. Tuffy Liner Brown (Even more puncture resistance, 15$ Outside Outfitters)

Batteries:

It seems like there are 15 billion different opinions on how to handle batteries/charging on this website. After doing way to much research, I decided that I had no choice but to go lipo for the high discharge combined with low weight and volume. My plan was to keep things as simple as possible to start with and try not burn my house down. Here's what I bought:
5S1P Zippy 8000mah batteries (Qty 4 @ $73 each, from Hobbyking USA Warehouse)
Hyperion 1420i Charger (Amazon $130)
Meanwell Power Supply 24V DC 750W 31.3A CNC Servo Stepper Motor (ebay $69 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270837299730&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123#ht_527wt_1084 )
Cell Log 8 (Hobbyking $14)

I am running 20S1P 8AH configuration, which is enough for the short local trips I am doing. Since I am generally keeping it below 30Amps (max discharge of 30/8=3.75C) and this thing is rated at 30C, I should be well within the safe range of discharge despite only using a 1P configuration. I'm going to bump it up to at least 20S2P soon, but I'm taking one step at a time for now.

For charging, I have pretty much the most simple setup possible. I connected the Meanwell to the power outlet by cutting a standard power cable and connecting the wires as shown in the pic below.

meanwell.jpg

I made no modifications to the Meanwell, as I am not using it to full capacity. Someone please let me know if it needs modifying.

Before charging my batteries for the first time, I connected my Cell Log to the balance connectors to confirm no dead cells. All cells were around 3.6V, so things were looking good. Then I connected two batteries (in series) to the Hyperion charger. I first used the balancing function of the Hyperion to balance the batteries, which took a few hours. Then I selected my charging parameters and charged to 85% TCS. Charging to 85% TCS it stopped at about 4.11V per cell, which was just about perfect. I did my first charge with the batteries in a lipo fire bag, inside of an oven, with a fire extinguisher nearby, just because this site made me completely paranoid regarding lipo. I also kept using the hyperion to check that all of the cells remained in balance many times during this process, but everything went off without a hitch.

Battery Case:
This is still a work in progress. I’m going to sew a triangle bag for my batteries eventually, but for now I’m just putting the batteries in a backpack. I wanted some protection for the batteries so I made a little plastic box for them. I made it using a 12”x24”x1/4”” piece of polycarbonate that I molded using a heat gun and an angled piece of metal. Here’s a pic of the process:
bending plastic.jpg

And here is the sloppy but functional end result:
battery box.jpg

Dropouts:
Doctor Bass Torque arms
3M DP420 Epoxy Black

I decided to go with Doctorbass's torque arms for my dropout needs. After ordering his torque arms, I ran into a little snag that you can see in this pic.

torque arm doesn't fit.jpg

Toque arms wouldn't fit due to that bit of aluminum on the side. At first I planned on cutting the torque arm to fit the available area, but that didnt leave much torque arm left. I ended up deciding to remove the aluminum, and hopefully the steel torque wedged and epoxied in there gives the dropout more than enough support. I used a 4 dollar metal file from home depot to remove the aluminum, and when that left me tired I borrowed a dremel from work.

Now the hard part. I borrowed a heat gun from work and made a cardboard box oven to set the epoxy. In hindsight I could have probably used the heat gun directly without the oven, but the oven seemed to work well for getting an even distribution of heat. I tested the oven and the dropouts got good and hot. The rest of the steps: filed the dropouts and removed all the paint, cleaned the aluminum dropouts with alcohol, roughed up the torque arms with my file, cleaned torque arms with alcohol, mixed the epoxy, place epoxy on dropouts, align torque arms on dropouts visually, clamp on torque arms so they don't move, remove any dripping excess epoxy, put cardboard oven back on and cook for a couple hours.

torque arm oven.jpg

When it was finished cooking, I left it cool for two hours before inspecting the dropouts. They looked great, but there was one problem - they weren't exactly aligned. I couldn't get my motor to drop all the way into the dropouts – they would only go about halfway in. I then filed the dropouts down a bit, which ruined my file. The motor axle would barely fit into dropouts, but it’s still a little misaligned as you can see in this pic.

Unfortunately I think I'm stuck like this. The wheel seems pretty well aligned despite the axle so hopefully this doesn't cause any problems.

Controller:
Got a Lyen 12 FET Infineon Controller with all the extra connectors. I wanted a small controller to fit in the bike triangle that was powerful, and Lyen;s infineon fit the bill. Lyen recommends keeping it under 3500 watts, but that I could occasionally go a little over and not have to worry too much. That seemed about right for me. I even had him install the mini XLR and anderson connectors on the controller so it would directly interface with my motor's hall and phase connectors.
Here’s the list of stuff I got from lyen:
12 FET 4110 MOSFET Extreme Modder Controller LYEN Edition $129
Cycle Analyst connector, external USB-TTL connector for USB-TTL programming adapter, regenerative braking enable/disable jumper $10
USB-TTL programming adapter $15
Three speed switch $15
Thumb Throttle $15
Large Screen Direct Plug-in Cycle Analyst with Speedometer Cable, Version 2.23 $125
Add & install > mini-XLR hall connector and the Anderson for the phase to pair with Crystalyte HT3525 motor $5
Add & install > 15" Cable length extension $12

Lyen was incredibly helpful and answered all my questions. Had a little trouble getting the software on my Win7 x64 pc, but eventually got it working.

Cycle Analyst:
I absolutely love this thing. I have low voltage set to 72 Volts (3.6volts per cell minimum X 20 Cells), tires at 2125mm, limit current to 20-40A depending on how much I want to wheelie, and, most importantly, shunt is 2.65mOhm (verified using multimeter).

Brakes:
The Hayes HFX 9 Hydraulic brake calipers did not have enough clearance and were coming into contact with the screws on the motor. I replaced the rear brake with a 200mm Avid BB7 Mechanical Brake (Amazon.com $66) which has a lot more clearance space. The BB7's have plenty of stopping power, so this should be a good setup.

Freewheel/Chainring:
Got a 11-32t DNP freewheel from San Diego Electric Bikes. Patrick at San Diego Electric Bikes was awesome, and he let me try out a bunch of his bikes. Since I had an 9 speed shifter, this meant I had to “downgrade” to a 7 speed shifter, which is why I got a Shimano Acera SL-M310 from amazon ($14).

Also got a 44t SLX M660 Black 104mm 9spd Outer Chainring Black (Ebikestop.com $27). The Combo 44t front and 11t back works well for 30mph, though I plan on using the 11t gear minimally to reduce wear on the freewheel. Since I was getting new freewheels and chainrings, I also grabbed a KMC X8.93, 6,7,8-Speed Chain. I have yet to dial everything in to where I can get it to shift all the way to the 32t gear. Also, I need to find a cheap 44t bash guard.

That covers the basics of my build right now. When I clean the bike up a bit I’ll post an updated pic. I’m reeeeally loving this bike, it’s an absolute blast. Right now I’m mostly using it on road and as a commuter vehicle, but it will very soon be going off road. I can’t wait :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Looking good. I had the same issue when I used the DP420 to anchor the torq plates from the Dr.

They were a slight bit out of align from each other so I did a little filing myself.

To date other then when I put the wheel on or off it's not caused any negative impact.. So impressed with how
well that stuff holds it all together.

Nice documentation. I have the same controller and have ran it at 24S with no negative impact.. I know I am pushing
it hitting near 4k watts , but it's so much fun. How did you use the multimeter to see the shunt is 2.65 ? Lyen told me
mine was 2 , but it seemed pretty off.. I did about 4 measurements on rides with a watt meter and came up with 2.7

It still seems a "slight" bit off so I am wondering if I should dial it down to 2.65 as you did.

Anyway nice way to document. Look forward to more.

ohzee said:
Looking good. I had the same issue when I used the DP420 to anchor the torq plates from the Dr.

They were a slight bit out of align from each other so I did a little filing myself.

To date other then when I put the wheel on or off it's not caused any negative impact.. So impressed with how
well that stuff holds it all together.

Nice documentation. I have the same controller and have ran it at 24S with no negative impact.. I know I am pushing
it hitting near 4k watts , but it's so much fun. How did you use the multimeter to see the shunt is 2.65 ? Lyen told me
mine was 2 , but it seemed pretty off.. I did about 4 measurements on rides with a watt meter and came up with 2.7

It still seems a "slight" bit off so I am wondering if I should dial it down to 2.65 as you did.

Anyway nice way to document. Look forward to more.

Thanks, good to know I'm not the only one who had DB torque arm issues :D
Yeah, Lyen told me the shunt was 2 as well and that seemed way off. I just took a multimeter and used it to measure current draw from the battery pack while going full throttle with no load. I could then compare the current draw on the DMM to what it was telling me on the cycle analyst, and adjust the shunt value until the two matched. Honestly I think my value of 2.65 is very slightly off, but it's close enough that it's not a big deal.

keysersoze310 said:
I chose the HPC Crystalyte motor because I wanted tons of torque, light weight, and ability to handle high wattage. This motor should be slightly better than the standard HT3525 at high power levels. It’s advertised as having better Magnets, upgraded phase wires, longer windings, honeywell hall sensors, wider stator, better laminations, and its wound for 55kph at 72V.
Any real details on this? What does better magnets mean? longer windings? wider stator? How wide? better laminations?

Hey good to see yet another Kona Stinky build! I've got a 2005 Stinky but I won't start that build until I'm done with my brother's chopper ebike. The venerable Stinky makes a great platform for an ebike build and I can't wait to see how yours turns out. :D
Looks like you're coming along pretty well too.

Subscribed.

How fast can that HT3525-ish Custom Crystalyte go on 20s Lipo?
I assume you got it mainly for it's low end torque or acceleration.

bjosta said:
keysersoze310 said:
I chose the HPC Crystalyte motor because I wanted tons of torque, light weight, and ability to handle high wattage. This motor should be slightly better than the standard HT3525 at high power levels. It’s advertised as having better Magnets, upgraded phase wires, longer windings, honeywell hall sensors, wider stator, better laminations, and its wound for 55kph at 72V.
Any real details on this? What does better magnets mean? longer windings? wider stator? How wide? better laminations?

From HPC:
"By better magnets, we us premium grade neodymium magnets. Wider stator- the HT motors we had used 32mm stators so we bumped it up to 35mm but now I hear some of the newer motors are coming with actual 35mm magnets. Better lamination- we sourced higher grade steel with japanese made laminations. Also, we use NSK bearings with custom axle as well as honeywell hall sensor with thicker gauge phase wires. Other than that, we do not want to get into the nitty gritty since we are not trying to give away any trade secrets!"

Sacman said:
Hey good to see yet another Kona Stinky build! I've got a 2005 Stinky but I won't start that build until I'm done with my brother's chopper ebike. The venerable Stinky makes a great platform for an ebike build and I can't wait to see how yours turns out. :D
Looks like you're coming along pretty well too.

Subscribed.

How fast can that HT3525-ish Custom Crystalyte go on 20s Lipo?
I assume you got it mainly for it's low end torque or acceleration.

Yeah, the stinky is awesome, so far I'm incredibly happy with it as I'm sure you'll be :D .
Top speed I've seen on flat ground at 100% throttle is about 30-31 MPH. You're right, I'm definitely after torque with this build mainly for off road hill climbing. Low 30s is right around my comfort zone for speed on a bicycle too, tho I may bump it up to 24s at some point just for fun.

Hey keiser!

I'm working on a Stinky as well. I even used Doc's torque arms, but modified them instead of the frame.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30078&start=30#p522467

Skippic said:
Hey keiser!

I'm working on a Stinky as well. I even used Doc's torque arms, but modified them instead of the frame.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30078&start=30#p522467

Nicely done, I like your torque arm install way better than mine :mrgreen:
For some reason I never noticed your thread before. Thanks for pointing it out because there is some great info in there. I'm amazed that I'm still learning so much on this site, it's a bottomless pit of ebike knowledge.

Stink-E's do work well for these conversions.
I still love mine. Got full year on mine so far with no real issues.....other than burning thru brake pads :lol:
Good luck on your build and keep the posts coming.

PS...
Torque plates are REALLY easy on the stinky's.
I had a local place water jet some parts for me that drop right into the pockets around the axle slots.
I will dig up a picture and post it.

Here is the initial template I created for my torque plate.
They fit right inside the pocket and once the axle nuts are tightened down, they are secure.
Same shape for both sides.

stink-e torque plate_01.jpg

I made the same kinda plate to fit my customers stinky. Now the best way to avoid the misaginment, is to have everything prepped for glueing, have the motor in the frame, add the glue, torque plates then tighten it down , then let off the tension a bit, clamp them on , with c clamps, then remove motor , check fit etc. when you are sure it looks good tighten the axle nuts on a bit. and you should be good.

this silver HT needs 72V to get to 54km/hour?
my E+ motor/controller on MTB frame with tires semi-slick, 150lb rider, flat, zero wind can easly get to 45km/h and that's on 36VOLTS.
So what is this HT rated at 36VOLTS, meager 30km/h????

miro13car, Your comparing Apples to Oranges.
my E+ motor/controller on MTB frame with tires semi-slick, 150lb rider, flat, zero wind can easly get to 45km/h and that's on 36VOLTS.

A Crystalite HS (High Speed) will do 50km/h on 36v.
A Crystalite HT (High Torque) will probably only do 35km/h on 36v, but because of the torque it is very quick of the line and that is why this is a preferred motor for some people. @ 100v 50amp these motors really shine, so these HT motors work best at higher voltage.

If you don't know the difference between torque and speed motors then you need to do more reading on ES.

Looks great. Maybe another thread should be started with tips to install the epoxy on the torque arms. I'd think glue on the arms, then put the axle in place, then snug down the nut till it sets might be good. Might have to repeat it, after cleaning excess epoxy off the axle, and perhaps some saran wrap on the axle or tape, or something so you don't glue in that axle permanent.

Don't get too too paranoid about your lipo. You aren't doing anything too risky at all. I like the idea of storing it fairly safe, off the bike myself though.

8ah, plus undercharging means a fairly short range. Do try to stop at about 3.65v. I really think if you routinely go to 3.5, you still have a cell or two getting even lower. In any case, at that point, 3.5v, just a tiny bit more distance to get home will whack em hard. So try to get a feel for your distance to 3.65v.

miro13car said:

Its probably even slower than 30km/h at 36v. It's wound slow because I wanted torque not speed, which allows for more efficient and powerful hill climbing with less waste heat. This motor would be too slow at 36V, it really requires a higher voltage than that.

dogman said:
Looks great. Maybe another thread should be started with tips to install the epoxy on the torque arms. I'd think glue on the arms, then put the axle in place, then snug down the nut till it sets might be good. Might have to repeat it, after cleaning excess epoxy off the axle, and perhaps some saran wrap on the axle or tape, or something so you don't glue in that axle permanent.

Don't get too too paranoid about your lipo. You aren't doing anything too risky at all. I like the idea of storing it fairly safe, off the bike myself though.

8ah, plus undercharging means a fairly short range. Do try to stop at about 3.65v. I really think if you routinely go to 3.5, you still have a cell or two getting even lower. In any case, at that point, 3.5v, just a tiny bit more distance to get home will whack em hard. So try to get a feel for your distance to 3.65v.

Thanks Dogman. If I were to do it over again I would definitely be installing the torque arms similar to how you're describing. I think these torque arms really need a precise install that you can only get with the axle in place.

As for the lipo, I'm really conservative with low voltage. The lowest I've gone so far is around 3.68V, and I haven't really had an issue yet with range as I'm only going short distances of around 10-20 miles. Keeping an eye on the cycle analyst it shouldn't be too much of an issue. If I want more range, well, I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on another 8AH of lipo =D

I know the difference between torque and speed very well , no worry.
I am comparing apple with apple here, namely hub motor with hub motor correct?
I seriously doubt any off the shelf/no mods/ H series motor can go 50km/h on 36Volts no kidding / no matter slow or fast "winding"/ installed on frame with tires and rider I am using with my E+.
I know winding changes characteristics of BLDC motor BUT...
E+ and H series are similar size, the devil is in QUALITY of materials namely cheap magnetics on H /noJapan qualityfor sure/- means lower magnetic flux and
Quality of mechanical assembly where H would have twice of the gap between stator and rotor and other manufacturing inferiority.
E+ has 87 Newtonmeter of torque peak and still I can reach 45km/h with no pedalling. It is all about balancing compromise but first you start with quality magnetcs and no wobbling rotor.
You should do more reading.

miro13car said:
E+ and H series are similar size, the devil is in QUALITY of materials namely cheap magnetics on H /noJapan qualityfor sure/- means lower magnetic flux and Quality of mechanical assembly where H would have twice of the gap between stator and rotor and other manufacturing inferiority. E+ has 87 Newtonmeter of torque peak and still I can reach 45km/h with no pedalling. It is all about balancing compromise but first you start with quality magnetcs and no wobbling rotor.
A standard HT3525 produces 130NM peaks on 20s lipo / 40a while still giving around 55km/h, your out-torqued and out sped (considering your motor cannot be over volted) :lol:

Miro13car, why do you keep bashing the Hx series motors on other people's build threads? You did it on mine and now your doing it again on Greg's thread? :evil:
If you don't like these motors, then don't try to flame / bash them on other people's threads, its not cool, not in the Endless-Sphere spirit and you just end up looking like a dickhead to be honest... :roll:

miro13car wrote:Are you serious about those holes in motor?
So yours is " No-Rain" ebike, right?

No riding in rain,or you still can ride with rain water on windings extra cooling them down? LOL

Oatnet wrote: Miro, holes in the sidecovers a standard practice here, when hot-rodding motors. It allows the motor to shed a lot more heat, so you can put more amps into it, not sure how you could have been here for the past few years and not seen it everywhere. Heck, how could you have missed Lukes 'penis motor' where the holes were shaped like genetilia? Rain, gravel, and dust have proven to not be an issue. In '06 Steve Head had video running submerged hub motors down a creek/river. Salt water would be a problem, but clean water does not conduct current very well.

miro13car said:
Based on the quote above and the one above that from Pianoman's thread from you i'd say you need to do more reading and less commenting :wink:

Keep up the good work Greg, can't wait to see how it turns out :)

Paul :D

Is rated by whom,
do you relally believe when China brand factory rates anything?
Maybe some H single motor build for demostriation would reach even more than 40km/h. But I don't believe all of them will, it is QC nightmare in sweat shop factories.
The silver one in this thread is a rebuilt E completely. But for the cost of this labour including, does it make economical sense unless you have them laying around???
There is China brand and Western stuff like Sony, Canon made in China -that is hudge difference.
Simply put Sony camera made in China suppose to be identical to same Sony camera made in Japan and it is identical.
But Sony has strict QC in place, uses Japan robots, etc.etc. just use China labour.

Attachments

• NC%20Winding.jpg
    NC%20Winding.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2,564
Miro13car, I'm not going to derail someone else's thread like you did mine by getting into a stupid QC argument with you...
Start your own thread on "inferior" Chinese QC and keep it out of other peoples threads.

Paul :D

Orange!
You're going to love it.
10,000 miles on my stinky over the last 5 years, and its still going strong.

WHat you did with the torque arms should work, though most of us do something like this for the Stinky:
paintedtorquetabs.jpg

When you can get the battery mounted in the frame, you'll find the bike is even better balanced and offroad capable. There's also a lot of places to stick the controller. I ended up sticking mine on the down tube between the crank arms. its out of sight and the wire runs are short there.

I always liked the stinky, is the bike i had in mind for my 2nd project untill i knew about greyborg.

I freaking love this bike :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Been too busy riding to update this thread. Thanks for all the comments, especially the torque plate pics, I'm sure that will help future stinky owners. I got some more batteries, so now I'm at 22S 16AH. I've now got a max speed of around 34-35 which is more than enough. With this much battery weight carrying it all in my backpack is no longer a reasonable option, so I've been playing around with mounting it. I decided to try a handlebar mount first:

2012-03-03 14.19.24.jpg

I sewed together a little battery holder using some cordura and nylon webbing. Inside is 22S 8AH worth of batteries with some closed cell foam for protection, though I need to add some plastic for puncture resistance. I'm using two carabiners to attach it to the handlebars for now but I plan to clean this up a bit in the future.

I was skeptical on whether the weight up front was a good idea, but after 5 minutes with it I was a convert. You don't even notice the extra 11 pounds up front once you get going. The best part is no more wheelies! I need to get the other 8AH of batteries in the triangle, but for now I'm pretty happy with my primary battery pack up front.

Other things you will notice from the pic: I've added a myrricyle with was very much needed. I now have that cheapo ebay LED headlight which is having some problems (documented in LED thread). I added a handlebar switch to turn the LED on and off, and it also has a kill switch, which I've wired to trigger the regenerative braking.

2012-03-03 15.44.53.jpg

To make the build look a little cleaner I've put the controller in an Avenir Large Seat Bag

2012-03-03 14.19.13.jpg

It doesn't really fit my 12 FET controller, but when I tried to return it Amazon said I could keep it for free. So, after reversing one of the mounting posts I was just barely able to cram it in there. Again, need to clean up the wires. I want this bike to look stealth when its finished :D

As luck would have it I found a rated 14% grade hill in my neighborhood so I decided to use it to do a quick test my motor. I've listed my speeds in mph compared to what the ebikes simulator got:

HPC 3525.jpg

Looks like I got the increased torque I was hoping for :mrgreen:

On the to-do list: Rewire everything for super easy charging, add a temperature sensor/alarm, make a battery bag for the triangle, add a bb7 front brake, get this thing on some trails

Back