Grin tech hub motor options compared

taiwwa

1 W
The main hubs that interest me are the RH212, the GMAC, the grin all-axle, and the TSM-A5.

So to start off, it looks like the RH212 is extremely cheap. It has a base price of $240 whereas the GMAC is $475 and the all-axle made in house is about $700. The TSM-a5 is $550.

I put a TSM-A5 on a bike not too long ago. It's a 500w motor, but peaks at 1400+ watts. What is to like is this motor has a solid torque arm setup, something you want with regen. It also has a torque sensor in the freehub. Though, it weighs more than the all-axle motor.
Grin stuff cost is premium, but I do feel it is a good value. The shipping and duty is another issue. I'm planning to do a rear all-axle motor this winter, and if I do I'll drive up to Vancouver to get it.
If you want to put a baserunner controller in the battery base probably best to buy it as installed with the Grin battery. I modified my own battery base to put it in there, so it is doable. Just kind of a minor pain.
I've been very happy with the TSM-A5 bike. It's my favorite ebike in my fleet, which includes two mid-drives (a BBSO2 and a TSDZ2b) and a couple of fixed Huffy Oslos (which are so handy I ride them the most often).

I put a TSM-A5 on a bike not too long ago. It's a 500w motor, but peaks at 1400+ watts. What is to like is this motor has a solid torque arm setup, something you want with regen. It also has a torque sensor in the freehub. Though, it weighs more than the all-axle motor.
Grin stuff cost is premium, but I do feel it is a good value. The shipping and duty is another issue. I'm planning to do a rear all-axle motor this winter, and if I do I'll drive up to Vancouver to get it.
If you want to put a baserunner controller in the battery base probably best to buy it as installed with the Grin battery. I modified my own battery base to put it in there, so it is doable. Just kind of a minor pain.
I've been very happy with the TSM-A5 bike. It's my favorite ebike in my fleet, which includes two mid-drives (a BBSO2 and a TSDZ2b) and a couple of fixed Huffy Oslos (which are so handy I ride them the most often).
It looks like the main differentiator is the torque sensor? I’m looking at installing the motor on a recumbent so I’m not sure how much torque sensing or general motor feel really matters. The Grin-all axle is like 1.5kg lighter, appears to be comparable in power output, and is statorade compatible which the tsm-a5 is not.

RH212, the GMAC, the grin all-axle, and the TSM-A5.
All are big purchases. Put them all in the Grin simulator side-by-side (you can always open another browser window) and play around with edge cases. This might crystalize an idea of one being better for one purpose over another (and you can do this from the comfort of your chair).

I think the RH212 would be great performer for a motor with a 27mm stator and 0.35mm laminations. When provided the same input, the performance is very similar to the 5T Leaf, so I use it with the Grin simulator, along with the Leaf, to guesstimate how the Leaf may handle heat on a climb (the Leaf isn't modeled for heat).

Adjusting the Kv of the Leaf to match the speed of the RH212 fast wind (with Statorade), the torque and power graphs are nearly identical.

Unadjusted, the Leaf's speed, torque, and power extend further, but still still consistent with the RH212 within it's range, and close enough for my estimation purposes.

So, on a 10% grade, at full throttle, the RH212 melts down in under 7 minutes, but with a 30% wider stator, I'm guessing the Leaf can go 10 minutes.

Of course I never climb at full throttle, since I've determined that I can climb 10% indefinitely when riding at my 20mph sweet spot for climbing hills, and so can the RH212.

On a 20% climb, the estimate to actual are strikingly close when compared to my real world temp testing data.

With additional cooling, it seems like the RH212 would be great to hotrod.

Last edited:
Back