GT i-drive 2.0 Build

Reviews are killer :D No doubt it would cost less to find a used bike with all of the parts that trying to find a transmission and all of the other unique bits :| :|

no purchases yet. the hunt for 6-8" of travel continues...

in other news, it looks like tropical storm lee is gonna get it's ass out of here soon. it's been sitting on us for three days, dropping 4-10" of piss:
storm_total_rainfall_inches.jpg

our flooding isn't as bad as elsewhere (ie, Binghamton, NY) - troy, how's Rochester?
flood-9811-7-600x405.jpg

anyway, i didn't bother to film my wet commutes cause i didn't think it would come out.

i thought it was gonna clear out this morning, so i rigged up to record. it rained but the video was not as bad as i thought:
[youtube]0PECSCsbvUg[/youtube]
i have no idea how the lens stayed so clear in the rain! maybe it was just a coating of water that enabled the little focus i got..

youtube editor (crossblur) transitions are too long, oh well.

ps. my pump was in my backpack - that wavy thing is a velcro strap that normally holds it down.

hyena, the white sticker is for you.

dbaker said:
Nice wheel :mrgreen:
thanks! you mean the true? [edit: not the brakes. the front squealed lika banshee, and the rear vbrakes did nothing at all. thank god for regen..]

after three days of this rain, the bike is a lot cleaner than it used to be.

won't last since i mean to go home via Rock Creek. :twisted:

Yesterday was a tough ride home in driving rain. I have been lucky with my very early morning trips in to avoid most of the heavy rain. Shorter days mean the flashlight is getting a workout in the morning :)

I bet it's real easy to spin your wheel coming off from a stop in that rain?

veloman said:
I bet it's real easy to spin your wheel coming off from a stop in that rain?
Maybe on grass or sand if holding the front brake, or leaning waaay forward. But no, it's not easy...

At 80V pulling 50A, I can wheelie from a stop, but only off a fresh charge.

The bike is pretty heavy and the tires have so much surface area in contact w/ the road...

@Greg, awesome GT it-1 frame and I ordered one real cheap 199 bux. Can't complain! :lol:

It seems the frame has plenty room for the battery case and 7-9" travel suspension is PLUS easier soak up the rough roads.

PS. Once I get the frame and will start hunt good deal 7-9" travel suspension rear and front.

@Hyena - ROFL good picture. thanks for laugh

@Greg - OK, Yeah, I emailed GT corporation and They mentioned it gonna cost me 345 dollars for the shimano nexus internal hub. They said it has 8 speed transmission built-in with the nexus internal hub. sound perfect ebike setup.

rui_fujino said:
what do you wear?
in all seriousness, i wear waterproof pants, jacket and booties over work clothes. water doesn't bead up anymore, and i've been getting wet, particularly in the crotch.

i had (yellow) waterproof breathable summer stuff, O2 brand? it's all torn up tho, and patched together with gorilla tape, so not too fancy.

for the fall/winter, it'll be the black stuff. i'll either spray waterproof coating on it, or get new ones of the same kind.

WOW, that's one cool frame, it does look like an exact copy of BMW design, accept I bet the GT is Aluminum. Any confirmation on this? You could also make some cool torque arms using that rear dropout slot. So the 8 speed goes into the frame as the jackshaft? You guys might run into some issues with that left side drive on the hub motor. Can't beat the price though...

Apperently it's based on this bike from 1997:

download-22014-800.jpg

i'm with you. but the drive train concerns me, esp if ratios no good for high speed, not to mention the expense...

i've been looking at this one. and some closeups of the seatmast from here:
p4pb1886689.jpg

i'm thinking i could replace that seat mast w/ another that has a container for lots of lipo, (and clamps up near the headtube too) and a more motoX seat more like the one from 97..

damn, It looks sweet too and It seems lacking placement for the LiPo battery pack seats unless you are going make a
fiberglass molded case on top of the frame.

nice close call this morning:
[youtube]UWUMfXAo7bw[/youtube]
the lady in the bmw got jammed behind the right-turning cab, but caught up fast enough so I couldn't take that lane, then turned from the far lane (a no-no) in the circle. who am i to wave the finger. she must have had no idea i was there. if i didn't hit the brakes it wouldn't been a mess...

re cycling in the rain (cont'd), the splash from the tires is far worse than whatever falls from the sky. my fenders/mud guards spare me the worst of it, but there are much better ones for non-dh bikes that will save you most of the mess. when i don't ride w/ the beam rack (+ rear fender) in the rain, my back gets completely soaked in no time!

ps. there will be no vid from the creek ride friday after work. i realized at 3pm that i had forgotten to plug in my charger. and when i left at 4:30, i was disappointed to see that my charger, even tho plugged in, wasn't ON. so i had ~3Ah to get home. no problem, i switched to mode 1, rode by the creek slowly, got home, downloaded footage, but then deleted it all a bit later while cleaning some things up... (tiny mac hard driver... argh... :x )...

since i knew i'd be using the bottom of the battery pack, i hooked up my buzzer. a mile from home, one cell went off, (hit 3.2V under load). the CA read 7.5Ah (out of 10Ah, right? but you figure i only charge to 4.125V per cell... where's that table showing lip capacity per voltage? anyway, charging to only 4.12 may give me only 75% capacity..) nice to have to front gears to drop to and pedal... one cell was .5V lower than the others. i hooked it up to the balance charger, and after 8 hours that one cell was even with the others..

Ugh, in my experience, I've learned to pay attention to the high end cars, not sure why, but I guess they don't think it's necessary to use signals. Ugh.

the swiss dude has done it again, putting all us wannabe videographers to shame. quadcopter shots and all..

10 Things I have learned about Mountainbiking
hillside wipout at 1:27
microheli shot at 2:18?
stupid overheads at 2:30/2:35

nevermind that he must be a nightmare to 'ride' with...

Crikey that was a close call buddy!! had that happen on me a few times, I never get the hump as most folks dont expect bikes to be going that quickly, hows the weather doing over there? its getting very autumnal here Greg, damn hate the leaves on the roads they can be so slippy :p it will be xmas soon... ha ha, did we have a summer here in the UK?

GCinDC said:
nice close call this morning:

This rider actually got intentionally hit by a driver in DC. It looks like a truck of some sort. He's carrying a traffic cone in the rear bed. Unfortunately, his video does not get the tag number. I would be very careful around DC.

http://www.thewashcycle.com/2011/09/waba-seeks-justice-after-roadway-assault.html

The rundown starts here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ7FSSzKkx8&feature=player_detailpage#t=70s

GCinDC said:
since i knew i'd be using the bottom of the battery pack, i hooked up my buzzer. a mile from home, one cell went off, (hit 3.2V under load). the CA read 7.5Ah (out of 10Ah, right? but you figure i only charge to 4.125V per cell... where's that table showing lip capacity per voltage? anyway, charging to only 4.12 may give me only 75% capacity..) nice to have to front gears to drop to and pedal... one cell was .5V lower than the others. i hooked it up to the balance charger, and after 8 hours that one cell was even with the others..

I was talking to "Ykick" the other day and he had an ingenious way of quickly fixing sagging cells. His method was to bring the lowest cell in the pack UP to highest avg cell voltage instead of waiting for the entire pack to discharge to the lowest voltage and then bringing it all up to spec. He was able to tap into the terminals to charge the individual cell via the battery meter output port (the port you plug into the cell log).

Wondering if you have tried this method before?

Back