Hall throttle issue, signal voltage too high?

veloman

10 MW
Motor starts creeping upon powering on controller. Wires are correctly matched. Signal voltage with no throttle depressed is 0.85v.
Throttle operates normally when depressed.

It seems I need to lower the base signal voltage? How do I do that?

Controller is a Kelly sine wave. Motor is large bldc motenergy.

Before I was using a thumb throttle and different issues, such as a 1 second delay in response when letting off full throttle (scary). And difficult to get motor started in reverse when activated.

Honestly not too happy with the Kelly, which I though was a decent controller. Or are these programmable settings?

Thanks

Most likely the kelly is setup to use a potentiometer throttle, which starts at 0v. (and goes up to 5v, while the hall throttle only goes up to 3-4v, so it won't reach full controller output either, if this is the case). Some Kellys are (or can be set to be) current-based (torque control) instead of speed control, which changes the way the output responds to the throttle input as well.

Many (most?) Kellys are programmable; software on their site, specific to each model or series AFAICR. Normally they require setup with this software in order to correctly operate a motor, with at least the "hall angle identification" routine; without this it may drive the motor incorrectly resulting in odd operation or inefficient power usage (hot motor / controller, etc).

That would also let you access the other settings that might let you fix the other problems you've had.

Note that some Kellys can be bricked by using the setup software incorrectly, such as by spinning the motor (using throttle, etc) while still connected to the controller. See the manual for the specific controller you have, or check the kelly site, or ask Fany (or whoever) at Kelly about this to make sure of any conditions you must avoid to not brick the controller.

As for Kelly being "decent", that depends on the controller (model etc) and the usage and setup (programming) done to customize it for a specific system (for those that are programmable).

Last edited:
Back