heat shrink film, where to buy?

Kevinator

100 W
I need to put my PIng battery back together. I should of ordered some from him when I got my replacement BMS, but its too late now.

Where do you guys get your heat shrink film? What size and specs should I look for? Do I need a heat gun or will a 1500w hair dryer do the trick?

i have used heat shrink with a hair drier in the past but im not pleased with the results. i just use card and duct-tape now. its much cheaper and easier than heat shrink

What does your pack come out looking like? Any pictures? I'm trying to decide the same thing.

Katou

Thanks for the info guys! I checked out ebikes.ca, but shipping from CA to USA costs more than the merchandise :( I have a Ping 12v/15ah battery that I need to wrap back up after I replace the BMS. You can see it in the picture below. I plan to use duct tape and the circuit board sheets it was originally wrapped with, but I would still like to put shrinkwrap over the that, and also shrinkwrap the new BMS like it was originally.

I think each pack measures something like 6x4x3.

On the orange storage tub lid:
- brand new Ping 12v/15ah lifepo4 pack with 4s BMS
- last year's Ping 12v/15ah battery with bad BMS, unwrapped; It has a 8s BMS that Ping modified for 4s and originally came with the pre-Aug'09 charger connectors.

Hobbyking has something they call "covering film" which I'm guessing is the same as shrink wrap film. Anyone tried this stuff? Shipping is still more expensive than the merchandise, but in this case, you get A GRIP of film....like 24"x14ft http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=245

WG044.jpg

The covering film wont work or at least I don't think so, it is a plasticky material, sticky on one side, smooth on the other, used to cover the fuselage and wings of balsa and wooden planes. The covering film gets stuck on and then ironed on with a low temp iron, it shrinks, to conform to the surface.
I don't think it would work properly for covering , it is too thin for you application and won't cover it properly like heat shrink.

Kevinator said:
I need to put my PIng battery back together. I should of ordered some from him when I got my replacement BMS, but its too late now.

Where do you guys get your heat shrink film? What size and specs should I look for? Do I need a heat gun or will a 1500w hair dryer do the trick?

So is that what you need... A heat gun or hear drier with at least 1500w to secure the heat shrink wrapping onto the battery?

Back