Heinzmann CargoPower RN 111 Motor

reb1

10 µW
Has anybody seen this hub motor yet. Hardened steel gears in cooling oil. 100nm torque at the hub. Regen and reverse. Hub width 100mm F 135mm R. 36/48 VDC, Speed: 95 ... 380 rpm nominal etc. It looks like they are saying you can have your cake and eat it to.

wow, geared drive and regen sounds awesome.

somebody needs to buy one and show us the internals :)

ED_35_e_CargoPower_Cargo-Bike-Motor_HEINZMANN.jpg

Looking like it will be a very good choice of motor for light weight city commuters. They say the fast winding does 45 kmh at 36v in a 700C wheel. I guess a reliable 75 kmh might be possible with controller upgrade and higher voltage.

A 2WD fat bike conversion with those would be an awesome project (it is available for front and rear). the integrated torque arm design is a nice feature.

I wonder how the motor drag is? it should be quite low i guess..

any info on the price yet?

I believe the RN 111 Is new this year. It will probably take some time for pricing to appear at Heinzmann dealers.

4.5kg and a lower power rating than the MAC/BMC motors..
No mention of peak efficiency and no dyno sheet, so we can only assume it's not exceptional in any way.

Not exciting.. within 100g of a MAC motor's weight, not as powerful, and i'd guess it costs more.
Maybe it's constructed better? who knows. But i'm not gonna be the guinea pig for this motor. Not seeing any appeal here.

it is rated for 500W, 1000W peak. isn't the mac also a 500W rated motor?
the peak power of the MAC is mainly limited by it's cluth, this one has no :mrgreen:

I reopen this subject, this motor is now on the market for several years, but I've found very few information about it.
Does anyone have up-to-date info about this motor ? Has anyone tested it ?
If yes, I will really appreciate your feedback :)

I know a company here in the netherlands that builds trikes with the RN 111. A productionversion for Post NL.They say it can pull upto 400-500kgs from standstill without using any gears. I guess that says enough about the strength of this motor. It can go in reverse and regenerate. Max power for a 250 watt version is 950 watts and they claim that this can be delivered most of the time.

I am discussing the use of this setup with a client and hope to order one seen and expeience for myself if it is as good as it seems.

They say that you should only use with certain types of batteries like the ones from AOS. Expensive but lifipo4 so very durable and less chance of fire.

I have tried a Bullitt equipped with this motor at Eurobike. Powerfull, not very noisy, pretty nice.

4.5kg and a lower power rating than the MAC/BMC motors..
No mention of peak efficiency and no dyno sheet, so we can only assume it's not exceptional in any way.

Not exciting.. within 100g of a MAC motor's weight, not as powerful, and i'd guess it costs more.
Maybe it's constructed better? who knows. But i'm not gonna be the guinea pig for this motor. Not seeing any appeal here.
where do you get this strange ideas from? This motor is bigger has 1:10 geraing and oil cooling.And german engineering.

German engineering is not an automatic plus in my eyes, lol.
Stated power density is poor relative to a MAC/GMAC.

The website says the motor is 5.1kg so it's worse than i expected.
CargoPower E-Bike Motor - HEINZMANN Electric Motors

Steel gears is probably a negative and have a reputation for being very loud. Maybe more appropriate for strength reasons in a cargo bike.

GMAC is actually 3.8kg and has a higher continuous power rating.

German engineering is not an automatic plus in my eyes, lol.
Stated power density is poor relative to a MAC/GMAC.

The website says the motor is 5.1kg so it's worse than i expected.
CargoPower E-Bike Motor - HEINZMANN Electric Motors

Steel gears is probably a negative and have a reputation for being very loud. Maybe more appropriate for strength reasons in a cargo bike.

GMAC is actually 3.8kg and has a higher continuous power rating.
Higher gear reduction ratio, steel gears, greater mass for heat absorption... all sound like fitness for cargo bike use, compared to a hub optimized for other purposes like MAC, BMC, MXUS etc. Moar powa isn't necessarily a good thing if it happens at a speed that doesn't work for the application.

It's like those RC airplane motors with mind-boggling power-to-weight ratios. That's great, if you're using one to turn a prop. If that's not what you're doing, then a motor that does the job better will most likely have a lower power-to-weight ratio.

I dunno about that. Let's compare the two..

1708568731023.png

1708568791093.png

There's definitely more metal to soak up heat. But we've got a lot less copper and what appears to be half the poles. If the pole count is half, we can expect much weaker torque. This design is really leaning on that 10:1 ratio.

The downside of 2x the rpm over the MAC is that very few controllers will be able to drive it. Phaserunner just barely runs a MAC as is. You will likely need to run their controller or an RC controller. Another downside is likely the noise level of a very high RPM stator and metal gears.

You can get a DD ( grin all axle ) for a lower weight and it'll be thermally better than this motor and have a higher power rating. Would have plenty of torque if you have it in a 24 incher or below.

Color me skeptical on this motor.

Last edited:
1:10 gearing makes BIG difference.mxus xfc 19 is stronger at same current than mac and also takes longer time to overheat.and it only has 1:5.8 gearing.I had the much smaller motor xf17 before with 1:8 gearing before they stopped production.it was as strong as the mac uphill at same current.The mac is a very good motor,bur xfc19 is better.And the Heinzman is bigger with almost twice the gear ratio.Dont know why you are skeptical to this German engineered motor from a quality brand like Heinzman.But strangely enough you belive in and bought the small lightest kit motor from a company ..............

Last edited:
I explained why i was skeptical.
The only way to know is to buy one and hot rod it. Who's gonna bite?

I explained why i bought the lightest also in other threads you probably learned about it. Only mid drive with the characteristics i wanted; i was willing to take a risk on it. What's that got to do with the Heinzmann? :cool:

I've been tracking that motor for over 4 years. The current status is that the cargo power system is available but Heinzmann won't sell to end customers - only bike manufacturers. There is one german bike store that plans on carrying it, but they are waiting for Heinzmann to release the motor - like everyone else, so no point to spam them with emails.

Anyone interested in OEM should also know that the price for the whole system is currently at 3000+€, and Heinzmann won't sell you the motor alone.

There is one way to get past the restriction though: there are a few cargos around using this motor. If you happen to find one, you can ask the owner to use its frame number to order a spare motor. Won't be cheap though.

I have been all over the world, and I am an avid BMW driver (on my I think 12th one now) Love the car.. Hate the mercedes too boaty for my taste.

Germans have a culture that is fairly detail driven, (look at the difference in marketing) with that said, These are the same guys that had over 100 versions of "tank" creating a logistics nightmare. With every up there is a down. super tight tolerances can lead to things like the Koenigsegg, it can also lead to the Chauchat, where the grand idea of the french in the trench warfare nightmare was to put a viewport on the side of the mag. It was a over engineered nightmare. Yes, it is french, it is an example.

I have seen just as many failures due to german engineering as I have seen success. I managed a group of Mechanical Engineers that were working in transport, designed in the hub of western industrialism Livermore Ca. (where the lab is, but we were not associated) Other side of the team was in Berlin, and assembly was in Italy (Breta). A big chunk of the work that our lead big brain dealt with was flying back and forth between the three locations and explaining that in the assembly phase is *NOT* the time to change the tech or the plan. And keeping the Italians from throttling the germans.

Engineering comes from all over the place, no one locale has the monopoly on great inventions.

As you sit on your computer cpu designed in Santa Clara, Case made in either China or Mexico, boards cut in third world esque events of environmental destruction, and software that was conceptualized by a college drop out, written by a bunch of hardcore grads, and finished up and maintained to this day by predominantly Indian Engineers.

Don't even get me started on Networking issues, the guy that invented TCP/IP was a Birkenstock wearing hippy that if he did not consume epic quantities of weed I would be stunned. He designed it on a chalk board in a hall at MiT.

So, about them germans...

I have seen just as many failures due to german engineering as I have seen success.
You are correct. Thinking back 5 or so years, I was in-the-hunt for a decent quality pellet rifle. Just got burned-out with Wally cheapies, so I purchased a German made W******** from an outfit in Arizona. $400 an change. Nice looking and even came with a target test firing. But the shoddy internals soon became obvious when I tried to cock it. Felt rough, and much higher effort than I was used to. Instead of sending it back, I opted to dissect it, in high hopes of finding a minor flaw & quick fix. Not so. The cylinder that the piston slides in was egg shaped, and some of the internal machining mirrored that of a farmer's corrugated spud field. Yes. I still have the rifle, but lost all interest in using it.

That explains why for 7 years, nobody's seen any insides of it yet. it's basically unobtanium.

Back