Heinzmann disassembly

The 24V controller will fail shortly if you run it at 36v. The motor seems to take 36V if you limit the current to 22A or use the built in thermal sensor.
Connecting it directly to 36V battery with no load won't hurt anything. It is worth a try but do have 30-40A fuse somewhere in series, otherwise you may melt wires if it is frozen.
Good luck. It does look pretty corroded.

It's brushed so you can test it with a 12 v battery, bypassing the controller. Do pay attention to Gmouch about overvolting. I didn't take him seriously and burnt my motor on day one. :shock: Shoulda hooked up the temp sensor. :oops: And I think the controller I was using was too high amp making it worse. There is a freewheel in there, could that be the problem?

I suspect that the controller may be damaged too. I hooked it up to a battery earlier to see if the control panel (lights, battery indicator, etc.) would work and it seemed totally dead. I need to disassemble the down tube panels and extract the controlled to take a look at it.

the amount of corrosion inside the hub made me wonder if it had been in a flood, seemed more corrosion than just sitting outside. i agree that you should limit the current too, maybe a 12V battery charger would not be able to put out more than 10A and have built in overcurrent protection for itself. see if you can get oil to the bearings first and be gentle with the pliers on that gear, it is a machined surface and could get ruined if you squeeze too tight on the pliers, maybe a little leather in between? but oil and spin the motor to see how much trouble it will be first. bol, dm

Eureka! It's working!! I took all your ideas plus a spray can of liquid wrench. I hosed the inside I the motor with the LW and let it sit. Then back and forth a little with the pliers and leather. Repeated this all day and it slowly hot easier to turn. Then took a 10A 12vdc charged and hooked it up. It turned laboiously and at first it pegged the amp meter at 15+ amps. Then slowly the current dropped to about 8 to 10 A. I ran it till it got a little hot. Then disconnected power and sprayed/soaked. Repeated multiple times. Eventually amps down to 3 or 4. Then hooked to 36vdc batt wit 15a online fuse in series. Ran good. Sprayed, soaked and ran motor several times.

What's next? Anyone know where to get a gasket to go between the motor housing and the outer cover?

I think I need to scrounge a controller and a battery too. The OEM E-Bike controller would be nice so all the lighting and cruise controls would be operational.

Than you all so much for you help!!

The OEM controllers for the 24V sells for between $100-135. You can also use a generic brushed one with a twist throttle for about $50.
If cost is an issue then it is the way to go. Ofcourse you would loose the head light and tail/brake and cruise control.
If you still want to go with the OEM route, PM me. I know a friend that has been parting these out.
On the battery, the box is also expensive. I would probably consider LiFePO4 from Ping if I didn't have the box or batteries. The box sell for $100 and the batteries for another $75. You are more than half way to LiFePO4.

kbarrett said:
I finally got to talk to a human at Heinzmann ...

No spare parts in the US. Basically, you send it back for warranty work, or you get to replace it. No repairs.

The gear is just press fit, and it is not supposed to turn in place ... ever.

He suggested either having it laser welded in place, or pull it and remake the shaft.

He also warned about re-assembly ... apparently one of the plant workers in Pocatello has lost a fingertip to those magnets.

Anyone know a good laser welder in Portland?
Hi,

Did you ever get the large gear fixed on the Heinzmann hub? Mine is doing the same thing. It should only spin in one direction.

Thanks,

Kevin

WOW
What a beauty , first class engineering
Is it used , looks like new to me!!
This motor will last for sure because construction but first of all QUALITY of material, no China pot metal here.

docnjoj said:
Wow! That is one beautifully made motor! Where can one get one? I live in an old tech, brushed world! David (other Doc)
Know this thread is a bit old, but the question is still relevant, as is the motor itself. I bought me one of these beaut's last year and would recommend it as one of the best geared motors on the market. I bought the 36V 500 watt motor kit, complete with thumb throttle and controller, rimmed. Contact: Light Electric Vehicle Technology, info@heinzmannusa.com. The SLA battery they sent me sucked - replaced it with my own build of an A123 AMP20 pack. Otherwise very happy! Nice pics of construction! :mrgreen:

Here is the only other thread of significance that I could find on the classic Heinzmann. It contains some pics that this thread doesn't, so here's the link:

The link to this thread has been added to the master geared hub index.

"Heinzmann hub motor opened up for service"
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3853

another somewhat useful link: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45498#p664311

Back