help needed: idiots guide to datalogging w/ Cycle Analyst

voicecoils

1 MW
Can anyone provide a walk through for logging data with the Cycle Analyst?

I have a CA-DP model with the latest firmware and the ebike.ca supplied TTL to USB converter. I have a laptop which has both OS X and Windows 7 on it. I've downloaded hyperterminal but don't know where to begin with it...

I'm stuck finding the next steps to get the CA to communicate with the computer and then record the data.

Others may be in this position and could benefit from the advice of someone more computer savvy.

Cheers guys! :D

If the information was quoted before he erased himself, Nutsandvolts had posted this stuff in one of the CA beta threads, if I can remember which one. Some of it was reposted later by the admins, so it might be there anyway.

I don't have a CA yet so can't directly help, but hopefully this will be a helpful pointer, at least.

Use Hyperterminal on the appropriate port. If you use a program called 'realterm' (free) you can log it to a txt file. You can later import this into excel or similar program and do whatever with the data. Does that help at all?

grindz145 said:
Use Hyperterminal on the appropriate port. If you use a program called 'realterm' (free) you can log it to a txt file. You can later import this into excel or similar program and do whatever with the data. Does that help at all?

Getting my computer to recognize that the TTL-USB converter is connected and then having an appropriate port to select (and knowing what it is, is where I'm stuck at the moment.

Thanks though, what you're saying is what I'm trying to do. So I'm on the right track...

The way the usb converter that I have works, is that it installs itself as a virtual com port once the drivers are installed properly. After which, you can go to the device manager(right click on my computer->properties->hardware tab-> device manager) Then unfold the ports section and look for something that looks like your usb converter. I m sure some of this is insulting your intelligence but just in case there was a piece you were missing I thought I'd include it.

grindz145 said:
The way the usb converter that I have works, is that it installs itself as a virtual com port once the drivers are installed properly. After which, you can go to the device manager(right click on my computer->properties->hardware tab-> device manager) Then unfold the ports section and look for something that looks like your usb converter. I m sure some of this is insulting your intelligence but just in case there was a piece you were missing I thought I'd include it.

Not insulting, thanks!

I've followed your directions on W7 at work, and it takes me to the ports, thanks! I'll do the same at home on my laptop with the CA -> TTL -> USB connected and see if it shows up there.

Much appreciated. :D

Back