help trouble shooting 8fun motor and lyen controller

rmasu

10 mW
Hi, I hope someone can help me as I am stuck.
I have a 350w 8fun motor with the stock controller Im assuming this is the same as a bafung motor and controller. It is running 36v 8amps from a bottle battery. Everything was working fine when it suddenly stopped working.
I took off the controller and it smelled strongly of a burning electrical smell. I emailed edward lyen and ordered a new compatible controller. After stripping and re connecting all the wiring I tested the bike and it ran while on my bike stand. I tidyed up the wires and it wont work now. I checked all connections again and tested voltage on battery. I smelled the controller and it now has the same burnt smell. Is it possible the motor is frying my controllers? If so can someone head me to any info to open motor and trouble shoot it, or should I be looking for a new motor. I did follow very carefully the wiring diagram on the lyen web page wiring a bafung to a lyen controller.
Thanks in advance!
Ross

Are you sure you're not just smelling the flux on the PCB?
If something in the controller burned, you should be able to see it.

To test the motor windings:
Measure the resistance between each of the three phase wires and the motor case, which should be open circuit.
Put your meter to volts 20V AC. Hold your probes between each pair of phase wires (three tests). Turn the motor backwards. You should see some volts being generated.
Let us know if you have hall wires, and then we'll explain how to test.

You should look inside the controllers. For the Lyen type,undo the screws in the wires end and the three screws in the side. The contents should then slide out.. for other types, just remove the screws. If something looks burnt, show us a photo.

As a general rule. If your motor doesn't work properly, never use full throttle because it can damage your controller. I suspect that your problem is something far simpler.

I do have hall sensor wires. Ill test the three fat wire leads today, How do I test the hall wires?
I'm not 100% sure the lyen controller was burnt but the stock one Im pretty sure. It was filled with a black silicone type solid goo, Im assuming to waterproof it.
When I initially hooked up the lyen controller everything was working for a little while. Then it just stopped. You dont think the motor can burn out controllers?

i tested the wires on the motor and spun the hub I get about .25 volts from the leads.
I did open the lyen controller, but my electronic back ground is weak. I didnt see anything burnt, just the smell test.
thanks

Connect everything back together, and then check that you've got 5v between the red and black throttle wires. Don't forget to put your motor back to DC.

It's best to check the hall sensors while connected. You have to stuff your probes up the back of the connector. It's easier if you can get someone to help you.

First, test that you've got 5v between the red and black wires. Then keep your black probe on the black wire and your red probe on the blue wire. Rotate the wheel slowly backwards. You should see 5v switching on and off. Repeat for the yellow and green wires.

When you get problems with controllers not working, you should disconnect everything not needed to make the motor run: Cycle Analyst, brakes, PAS, etc.

My bafang BPM 8fun motor
Phase wires on Lyens controller (yellow green blue) to motor phase wires (Blue green Yellow)

Same combination for the hall wires.

Just in case you have the Lyens controller wired incorrectly to the motor. I did and the motor worked ok but was noisy and not quite right. Are you using the combination as stated above?

Hi, and thank you for your input I wired the controller in the following way
MOtor controller
thick blue thick yello
thick green thick green
thick yello thick blue\

hall wires hallwires
blk blk
red red
yellow blue
blue yellow
green green
white not connected, capped off