• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Help with Cell-log HVC - charge control board

Hey guys, I am still very new to the electronics world and am having some trouble making HVC circuit from my cell-log.

I currently have one of Gary's charge control boards with a HVC line that needs to be shorted in order to cut the meanwell chargers.

I have found a few other circuits in the forum to do various things with the cell-log hvc function, but i cant seem to adapt it quite right to go to the charge control/limiter board.

Here's where I am so far...
Untitled.png

I have just finished building this but didn't have any luck getting it to work.
Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Or suggest/explain what I have done wrong?

Unfortunately I am to inexperienced to know where to go from here :-(.

Thanks for any help!
Tom

No, that won't work. You have both sides of the opto connected together. Here's a schematic of the basic Alarm output isolator:

CellLog HVC Isolator.png

The diodes are just so that this will work with 5s, 6s, 7s or 8s packs. If you just plan to use it with one configuration, the diodes can be left out. Multiple isloated CellLog opto outputs can be connected in parallel, if your pack configuration is larger than 8s.

-- Gary

Thank so much Gary, that helps a lot. I now have it working and think I am getting a bit closer to understanding schematics and opto's.

So how am i going with this?
Untitled-1.png

I also have the neg from cell-log connected as in your diagram Gary, but i read this is not needed as its connected internally in the cell-logs? I will experiment with that later. Just super happy to have it working!

Is there absolutely nothing else I will need in the circuit? Ultimately I will make 3 and parallel the opto outputs to HVC for my 18s pack.

Thanks again for the help! :)

Not quite. The - of the CellLog Alarm needs to go to the Pack - connection, and there should not be a connection between Pack - and the HVC - line. The latter goes to Meanwell-only.

lol thanks Gary. Really appreciate it.
3rd time lucky?
Untitled-2.png

Also, the original circuit I found had a 0.25w fuse where I originally had the the 1N914s. I assumed that somehow this was protecting the CNY17f or maybe celllog from a surge from the battery, so i guess assumed you had adopted the 1N914s to do a similar thing.

Is it a good idea to maybe include 1N914s or the fuse just to be safe? Or 100% not needed?

Thanks again Gary :)

Tom

Yes, that looks good now. :)

I don't remember ever adding a fuse to one of these CellLog drawings. Somebody else must've done that. It is not needed, though.

-- Gary

Back