• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Help with eLation kit

swb

100 mW
OK, as a continuation of this thread, I thought I would ask for help in the technical section.

So I had a grinding/clicking noise the other day and decided to contact eLation as its only 4 months old...but found out eLation have closed their doors, completely, no contact possible.

So I disassembled the motor to find a planetary gear missing a couple of teeth, and about to strip a lot more.

If anyone can help, here are my questions:
* Do you know if I can find a replacement gear? I guess I should replace all three.
* Should I look for a different material?
* If I cant get a gear, would a whole planetary set be available? i.e is it familiar to others

I have enclosed some pictures of the motor, which has been removed from its outer casing. I have not seen similar here so I am wondering if its custom made for eLation.

Up until now I have been very happy with the performance and it would be a shame to scrap the whole (AU$1200) kit for something else. I have been using the motor a lot, but dont think I have been overdoing it.

I now realise how dependent you become on your primary form of transport.

thanks,
Graham.

IMG_1259.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

Looks like what comes out of the smaller bafang/cute motors...
Dunno anyone who sells replacement bits though. But hopefully that is a hint.

Yes, that looks exactly like very common Bafang 8fun motor.

Can you measure the width and the overall diameter?

Count the # of teeth too if you're keen.

I should have some spare gears here for $10 each if they fit.

Cheers, Abraham

swb said:
About the gear:
OD = 38mm
ID one side = 18.6mm
ID other side = 22.6mm
36 teeth
That's a Module 1 gear.
If it's like that after 4 months, you need to replace the nylon gears with metal ones. If the sun gear is hardened steel, the planet gears could be, too. If not, then brass would be preferable, I think.
As mentioned above:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7031
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=159900#p159900

Does anyone think that this motor is identical to any others?
If I cant get the gears (and after reading many pages, its not going to be straight forward) then perhaps I can buy a whole motor somewhere.
The outer dimensions of the motor, in its housing, are 114mm x 95mm. Inner diameter 105mm with a 12.5mm shaft.

Its a shame that the business had to close due to health/family but he could have sold his parts/spares to someone so at least warranty claims have some sort of opportunity, even if we have to buy them. I can just see my required bits just sitting in a warehouse somewhere (or even worse, landfill)

I think the design was good, if I could buy the kit off someone else I would (assuming my particular problem is a one-off) The bike performed very well given the low power (200W) - better than an equivalent power hub motor I tried.

In aussie speak - i'm spewing mate.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, too late now but I definitely would of grabbed a spare set of these at point of sale, have you tried pming Lez here on ES iirc his nickname is 'elation' ain't it? If no luck maybe cellman could help you out, he has been sourcing replacement higher quality gears for the Mac frock motors he sells .....jm2cw

good luck getting it fixxed anyways, oh, perhaps check or a cyclone motor add a replacement if all else fails

KiM

swb said:
Does anyone think that this motor is identical to any others?
If I cant get the gears (and after reading many pages, its not going to be straight forward) then perhaps I can buy a whole motor somewhere.
The outer dimensions of the motor, in its housing, are 114mm x 95mm. Inner diameter 105mm with a 12.5mm shaft.

Its a shame that the business had to close due to health/family but he could have sold his parts/spares to someone so at least warranty claims have some sort of opportunity, even if we have to buy them. I can just see my required bits just sitting in a warehouse somewhere (or even worse, landfill)

I think the design was good, if I could buy the kit off someone else I would (assuming my particular problem is a one-off) The bike performed very well given the low power (200W) - better than an equivalent power hub motor I tried.

In aussie speak - i'm spewing mate.

That motor was a custom job that Allen commissioned. The original I saw had a 2 step reduction using steel gears. Pity he had to quieten it. As Miles said, it's a standard module 1 gear profile so it will be easy, may be not cheap but cheaper than dumping the whole kit and you could end up with something a lot better than you had to begin with.

A quick Google turned up this: http://www.gearconcern.com.au/contact.htm

Take the whole lot out to them and listen to their advice.

And another Qld company: http://www.tea.net.au/welcome.aspx

If they can't help, they may know who can.

--
Bill

Allan also told me it was a custom designed motor, and not made at the one factory either because he was sick of others ripping off his design ideas.

If the gears are compatible with the Bafang (Module 1) then replacements are readily available in Australia, like voicecoils said.

You might also be able to get upgraded replacements (grey or green?) from cell_man.

I'm surprised that replacement parts even exist. Sorry for giving you the negative outlook from the beginning. This is a less obscure kit than i thought.

jateureka, the gray gears you're speaking of are MAC / BMC motor parts that would not fit here. I don't believe that cell_man deals with bafang anymore either.

Thanks for your help guys.

I will take my gears to the place at Acacia Ridge first. If they can help it might cost a bit, but I will risk it. I have also asked voicecoils if he has anything.
Otherwise at least I should be able to re-use the battery if I look for and alternative kit. Those 48V eBay hub motor kits are looking attractive, although I have disc brakes. I dont think I can fork out another $1000+ so soon after buying the eLation.

Will keep you posted, I might not be the only eLation V3 person with this issue (I really hope I am though)

Although I don't have the right gears myself, I don't think you should give up yet.

I'm fairly convinced that the basic components of your motor are made by Bafang. Allan may have said the motor was custom designed, but I suspect only parts of it are (like the side cover and outer casing). Bafang makes many different motor types so they may have some appropriate gears.

I'd suggest emailing BMSBattery.com (who sell bafang stuff direct from China) with your gear specs and a photo and asking if they can supply spare gears. It's possible they might be able to!

Here's a few photos of my old bafang motor guts, if anyone is curious about design similarities:

file.php

file.php

Compared to to:
IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

voicecoils said:
I dug out the bafang metal and plastic gears I have and they have 28 teeth so it's a no go unfortunately.

I hope you can find something suitable!

I'm probably overlooking something obvious, but I see 28 teeth on the right planetary gear and I think I see 36 teeth on the left one in the photo???
Is this one not compatable?
Gary

I posted that photo to show the carrier/freewheel but didn't count the teeth in the photo.

At work we have some rear bafangs so I will have a look tomorrow and see if I can find any 36t ones.

If they are Bafang compatible then Electric Vehicles Pty Ltd [EVS] in VIC will likely have them or be able to get them, but will probably be about $85 + gst and p/h for the gears and carrier as a set.

John Holmes was selling Bafang gears, but not sure of the specs http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=328&cat=20&page=1

voicecoils works at Glow Worm Bicycles and they sell the eZee bikes/kits/parts

SWB called our shop today, just as I had finished pulling a 36t gear set off a hubmotor that had an electrical fault but was mechanically fine.

I'll post the carrier off to him this afternoon and fingers crossed it will slot straight into place!

Cheers, Abraham

Back