Help with mounting solution for light?

pebble

1 µW
Edit - First post, meant to post this in ebikes general discussion

Hello! Perhaps you can help me think of a creative solution to my light mounting problem.

I have a 52v battery and wanted to run my light off it directly. I found an inexpensive cree LED with an integrated voltage converter so it runs off the 52v battery directly. The light has a single threaded hole on the bottom that I can use to bolt it onto something.

Right now, I have it mounted on my handlebars but it's very janky, rattles, and can't be adjusted for light angle. I would like to mount it on the center fork, and take advantage of an existing center fork light mount that is made to be adjusted for tilt angle.

Also, I plan to use this for mountain bike trail riding at night, so I want a mount that will hold up to some abuse and not fall off or lose it's angle every time I hit a bump. Any recommendations?

I was looking at this mount, has anyone tried it?
https://www.amazon.com/CatEye-CFB-100-Bicycle-Headlight-Bracket/dp/B00X4SH0XU/ref=asc_df_B00X4SH0XU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309849426425&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4910301758455157283&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001785&hvtargid=pla-567767336289&psc=1#customerReviews

The next issue would be exactly how to mount the light to the bracket. It seems that most light mounting brackets have some kind of quick detach system. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the male part of a quick detach which I could screw into my light? Alternatively, I could probably just run a screw directly through the plastic piece there and into the threaded hole on my light..

With just a single hole, and nothing else, any single screw is likely to loosen from vibration and begin twisting back and forth / side to side. Loctite might help that; might not fix it all up.

If the light is round (cylindrical), you can use a pair of clamps (like a hose clamp) to secure it firmly to a mounting plate that is itself firmly mounted to the bike (either the frame or the fork or steerer or stem). The mounting plate should have "notches" on it's edges for the clamps to hold onto, so the light doesn't slide back and forth on the plate.

The mounting plate can be anything that is essentially L-shaped. (with the necessary angle for pointing the light down/forward where you want it--if it's steel you can bend it to the angle you want after the ligth is mounted).

If you need further security on the light mounting, you can put one of the clamps over the screw hole, drill a hole in that clamp, and bolt the clamp to the light before putting the clamps over the mounting plate.

Back