Help with wiring BMC hub motor

big4x4

10 mW
Hello guys, I have a new analog 35A 36-72v controller from crystalyte that I am wiring up to my BMC rear hub.
This controller has the same round metal 5 hole plug and the phase connectors as can be seen here:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/solarbbq/crystalytecontrollers.htm

I know that my previous one year old crystalyte controller was a color for color hall sensor match, the phase wires were: (Motor/Controller): Yellow/Blue, Blue/Green, Green/Yellow.... everything worked fine with that one. However, this new one is not working!

I am using a the standard thumb throttle that comes with the rear bmc (like ev tech) which has red (5v), black (ground), white (1-4v signal), purple (led indicator)... I would assume this plugs into the crystalyte controller (red, yellow, green and blue wires)as outlined in the link above.... so red to red, black to yellow, white to green, and purple to blue...

When I power everything up, nothing happens, no noise, no motion, only the indicator lights on the controller and the throttle....
I have a 40A 36-72v analog controller with the same connectors as well that i tried, nothing... What is weird about the 40A controller, is that even when the controller is not powered on, the power indicator on the thumb throttle is on!?

I was hoping that someone with experience with this combo such as kyakdiver might be able help me out a bit! I need it! thanks

Hi

Your new to the forum? this has been posted over and over, have a little search about you will find the answers!

Knoxie

Doug at EV tech has the info you need. Send him an email. I have a kit coming from him with a 35 amp Crystalyte controller, and he said he'd include a wiring transfer diagram with it so I could get it running with the hub without too much trouble.. If when I get my kit this week you are still stuck, I'll post what he sent me.

It also occurred to me you may have a DOA new controller, and your wiring might be fine.

That is what I though at first...DOA controller. But I do not think that 2 DOA controllers is very likely. Please email me whenever you do get that sheet as I would love to see it!

Well I have searched and searched and all I have come up with is the wiring it have:

Controller - Motor
Blue - Yellow
Yellow - Green
Green - Blue

And all the halls match. This obviously is not working. Did the new revision analog controllers have different wiring?

big4x4 said:
Well I have searched and searched and all I have come up with is the wiring it have:

Controller - Motor
Blue - Yellow
Yellow - Green
Green - Blue

And all the halls match. This obviously is not working. Did the new revision analog controllers have different wiring?

Hi big4x4,

Hmm, the bmc motors went
controller blue to motor yellow, controller yellow to motor green, and controller green to motor blue.so that is correct?
are you sure that the controller is analogue? i know they don't work with the digital xlytes?

Cheers

D

If you had it wired wrong, in most cases it would make a terrible noise if you tried advancing the throttle. The fact that you get absolutely nothing indicates possibly a throttle problem or possibly a brake switch or low voltage cutout.

Be very careful when testing motor wiring. If you have an incorrect combination you can easily blow the controller if you give it too much throttle.

Tried both controllers again today with another motor. Same thing...the throttle lights up and nothing. I switched around the phases and still nothing. It is not even making a noise! I tested the throttle on the standard 25 controller and it works fine. Any other suggestions or info about wiring this stupid thing? Could it be that the hall wires need to be changed? The wiring on my throttle? PLEASE HELP THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!

When I ordered my BMC hub motor kit and controller from EVTECH, I requested a half-twist throttle instead of the full-twist throttle that ordinarily comes with the kit. I remember Doug saying that he had to order the half-twist Crystalyte throttle from another vender and then switch a pin on its connector for compatibility with the EVTECH controller that came with the EVTECH BMC motor. This leads me to believe that your throttle pinouts may be set for the EVTECH controller, rather than the Crystalyte controller. Give Doug a call at EVTECH to verify.

-- Joey

I had to switch the two middle wires on the throttle from EV tech to work with the Clite controller. His throttle would not work with the controller until this little bit was performed.

Try that and see if she lights up.

Kyakdiver

Initially I plugged my throttle in like I did with my previous controller, and I blew the throttle (actually two before I realized what was going on :(). I tested the throttle and it is not working anymore. Could this have killed my controller as well? The ground on controller goes into signal of the throttle and the signal wire from the controller goes into the ground of the throttle.

Derek

Probably not, but anything's possible. The supply voltage is current limited and the signal input has a very high impedance (will survive volts).

As long as you still have 5v, things should be good.

I just tried the 36 volt 35amp Crystalyte controller on a BMC motor and can't get it to work either. I matched the wires exactly to the way Doug hooked up the 48V 20AMP crytalyte controller, ( which works perfectly). Light goes on, and the motor moves for a half second when I give it throttle and then nothing. I have a feeling Crystalyte changed their hall sensors wires configuration and didn't tell anyone.. It sucks that nothing matches up in the small brushless EV world without wasting time doing trial and error, especially when the error part can lead to ruined expensive stuff.

here is the wiring diagram I got from Doug. By the way, I ran both a thumb and a twist throttle, and both worked fine. I think Y is yellow, B is blue, G is green

Crystalye Phase wires to BMC motor

Y------------------------------B
B------------------------------G
G------------------------------Y

Hall sensor wires

Crystayte BMC

Y-------------G
B-------------Y
G-------------B
R-------------R
Black--------Black

I didn't have a wire color that corresponded to G on the hall sensors, but I did have red, black, Blue. and yellow. The 5th wire was more of a tan color.

Andy

Thank you Andy. I really appreciate it. I will try that and report back. Did Doug say anything about changing the throttle? On the new controllers, you have to do that or else you will blow the throttle! I really wish C-lyte didn't change anything so I can ride my darn bike on 56v!!!!!

I think both of my controllers are the older style. Doug had this 35 amp one laying around a while

Well, I am ecstatic to report that one of my controllers works now with that wiring! The other controller still does not even budge but I am happy I have my bike working at least. Thank you everyone for your help and now I gotta think why this other controller is not working!

andys said:
I just tried the 36 volt 35amp Crystalyte controller on a BMC motor and can't get it to work either. I matched the wires exactly to the way Doug hooked up the 48V 20AMP crytalyte controller, ( which works perfectly). Light goes on, and the motor moves for a half second when I give it throttle and then nothing. I have a feeling Crystalyte changed their hall sensors wires configuration and didn't tell anyone.. It sucks that nothing matches up in the small brushless EV world without wasting time doing trial and error, especially when the error part can lead to ruined expensive stuff.

I agree. I am contemplating getting the motor from doug and running on 56V but don't want to have a process matching up a controller/throttle/motor. I see the 36-72v controller at ebikes.ca and figure that's the one to get for the ev tech bmc. But if I pull it off I won't have any extra funds for a while to buy another controller etc. So Would be great if Doug offered say a 36-72V 35Amp as a stock item, right now he offers a 36v controller that doesn't even work at 48v right?. He might be worried about too high a speed on the higher voltages I'm not sure, but if this is true, that same justification applied to most other vehicles their markets would shut down overnight!

Doug hasn't had the best experience with Crystalyte controllers as far as reliability, so he is reluctant in selling them. There also is the legal thing about selling a product that breaks most states laws for e-bikes.

He told me the BMC ones he offers have been nearly 100% reliable. I got the 36V 25Amp one now and will be hooking it up as soon as my battery arrives. I like its compact size-- it is 1/3 the size and weight of the 35 amp Crystalyte one. My current project really is supposed to be a stealthy electric bike and not an electric motorcycle, so I am hoping the 36V 25 amp controller will be plenty powerful enough. That is still almost 900 watts at full power!

Just got an email from Doug. I will ask him to clarify, but it seems that the higher amp Crystalyte controllers do need the wires changed on the throttle as well. here is what he said,

"The two middle wires must be swapped on either the throttle or the controller for it to work. That would be the common and signal wires. If you just plugged in the BMC throttle I sent, the controller would never get a 0-4V signal from the throttle.
Check and see if this is the case."

Andy

I just got a 35a 48v BMC controller and need the wiring info. All the wires are the same color but when I match them up it does not work. Any ideas?

Got my EvTech hub with the provided 25amp Controller, button throttle, 36 V 10ah lithium phosphate battery. Worked perdy good for about a week, bopping around town, etc. Nothing too challenging. Decided to put it to more of a test. Took it up a local hill @1000 feet high maintaining a strong pedaling effort.. Smoke coming out of the controller big time @ 700 ft. Big stink. Shut it down. Took home. Open controller, goo melted around capacitor.

Long short, motor fine (I hope), battery fine, controller gone.

Maybe a higher capacity controller would be a good idea or maybe I just got a lemon.

Just off the phone with Doug. This looks like it was a lemon, he's going to send me another.

Back