Hi power electric ducted fans

lpbman said:
How much of that is because that's not what the fan blades were designed for, and how much is because it's a single stage axial fan? Not expecting you to do my "homework" for me,

I just look at the basics of it and think there is quite a bit of energy lost to the engine having to suck air in at high rpm, and this would "replace" that energy even if little positive pressure is achieved. Maybe I'm overestimating how much energy it takes to fill the cylinder or perhaps the pressure diff. is too low to transfer that energy to the engine...?

Thanks for the responses regardless... this has been buzzing in my head for sometime and it's nice to have feedback.

The problem with ducted axial fans is that they work like rotating aircraft wings, so are dependent on the angle of the blades being right for the flow conditions. The analogy is like an aircraft wing, which will only work over a limited range of angle of attack. Increase it too much and the wing stalls, decrease it too much and the wing doesn't produce enough lift to fly. This means that ducted fans (and propellers) only work over a limited range of conditions, and only work at maximum efficiency at one particular set of conditions.

If you want a high pressure increase then you need to switch to a centrifugal type of fan, which uses a different technique to shift air. These rely of centrifugal force to accelerate the air outwards along the fan blades, increasing its velocity, and hence dynamic pressure. The velocity of the air at the tips of a centrifugal fan (like a turbocharger impeller) will be close to the velocity of the fan tips themselves. For example, if you had a 90 mm diameter centrifugal fan running at, say, 80,000 rpm, then the tips would be doing about 376 m/S. The air leaving the tips would be around that speed. The dynamic pressure of moving air is given by the formula 1/2 · Rho · V². where Rho is air density (1.225 kg/m³) and V is the velocity (in m/S). The dynamic pressure from air at 376 m/S is therefore 0.5 · 1.225 · 376² = 86,593 N/m², which is about 12.55 psi, a reasonable boost pressure.

Petrol leaf-blowers have been dyno-proven to give a modest power boost to a car engine. Electric superchargers have also been created, but think ~10KW of motor(s) driving a supercharger...

Anything less (ala all the "electric supercharger" junk on ebay) just won't cut it...

I've just been doing some "what-ifs".............

If you took a fast, powerful, inrunner motor (because they tend to have a higher Kv than outrunners), like this one from HK: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19111__Turnigy_SK3_Fandrive_3994_850kv_120mm_EDF_.html and ran it at maximum voltage (12S LiCoO2 LiPo)) then it could spin at up to around 37,000 rpm. Couple this to the compressor from an old turbocharger that was, say, around 120mm in diameter and you could get something like 4.5 psi of boost. It'd suck a LOT of power, a couple of kW or more, but might just make a worthwhile difference to a bike engine.

Punx0r said:
Petrol leaf-blowers have been dyno-proven to give a modest power boost to a car engine. Electric superchargers have also been created, but think ~10KW of motor(s) driving a supercharger...

Anything less (ala all the "electric supercharger" junk on ebay) just won't cut it...
I know good and well those bilge pump motors won't work. I also know that the way to get real power is a real turbo or supercharger.

I'm just wondering what could be done, given power up to 3kw (overkill it's just not a limiting factor), an axial fan or two designed for as high a pressure dif as you can manage at 50cfm (did a rough calc on that honda guessed at engine ve)
Anything more than 5hp and your prob looking at more fuel than the efi can deliver anyway.

I did originally think that using big 120 cfm high power edf's would compress air. I can see I was wrong, but you can't kill my curiosity!

Probably see Jeremy's post above ;)

Rotrex superchargers use a turbo compressor with internal gearing, powered by a belt from the engine crankshaft. Replacing the belt and gearbox with an electric motor should make no difference to it's effectiveness as far as I can see.

Punx0r said:
Probably see Jeremy's post above ;)

Rotrex superchargers use a turbo compressor with internal gearing, powered by a belt from the engine crankshaft. Replacing the belt and gearbox with an electric motor should make no difference to it's effectiveness as far as I can see.
Except to reduce the parasitic losses running the supercharger off of the crankshaft maybe? But that probable wouldn't effect the effectiveness of the turbo itself, just add to the available power of the base engine.

I'm not sure if they do, but an electromagnetic clutch would reduce the parasitic loss on a belt driven 'charger to near zero. Whereas an electric version would suffer alternator, battery, wiring and motor losses when running. Plus you'd only be able to use it intermittently - unless you had an enormous alternator.

I suspect a NOS kit would be more effective !
and this small turbo kit is under $300 !
RHB31_VZ21.jpg

Hillhater said:
I suspect a NOS kit would be more effective !
and this small turbo kit is under $300 !
RHB31_VZ21.jpg
I think a brushless motor hooked to the compressor of the turbo would work well. But if you go to the effort of driving a supercharger with an electric motor WHY NOT JUST DRIVE THE REAR WHEEL WITH ELECTRICITY????

[youtube]GYW5G2kbrKk[/youtube]

Hell yeh!

Arlo1 said:
[youtube]GYW5G2kbrKk[/youtube]

Hell yeh!

Regretfully this was a fake. Pity, because it's convincing enough. The supposed builders owned up to it being faked here:

[youtube]j2kCqhdzUh8[/youtube]

Maybe this will be real....

[youtube]lavvVN7fSEU[/youtube]

sk8norcal said:
cross reference,
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50749&p=750978#p750978

[youtube]zFHzWofHrwo[/youtube]

paraglider
Hell yeah thanks for posting that.

those tiny ducted fans have alot of thrust, anyone know what make/model they are?

heres something that has been puzzling me for some time which relates to ducted fans.
The venturi effect is used to blow up rescue chutes/slides on large aeroplanes, a jet of air that passes through a duct which increases dramatically the amount of air ( thrust?) that flows into the rescue chute allowing it to blow up very quickly. I"ve seen this effect demonstrated on tv a couple of times, one demonstration was simply a long plastic bag ( about 3 or 4 m long and about 20cm diameter open at one end). People were asked to blow it up in one breath, but only a tiny amount of air would go into the long bag. The tv host then showed by leaving the opening wide open ( not closed onto the mouth) and a gently blow would fill this very large bag with one breath due to venturi effect..........quite a striking demonstration ( i've been unable to find the video on the net unfortunately).
What i'm wondering is why couldn't this effect be used on ducted fans? A larger duct near the output of the standard ducted fan should dramatically increase the air output and therefore thrust?
below is a rough diagram showing the effect:
venturi duct.jpg

I like your question and am interested in hear people who know's feed back on this.

In the video, there is more air, but is there more thrust? There is probably less...

What is thrust a function of? Pressure and volume?? It's an impedance thing isn't it?

I got no education in this but interested to hear from who does :)

Is this now kinda thread hijacking though? not sure what to do about that :|

Arlo1 said:
I am looking to build something cool :wink:
But I need to design a hi power edf I basicly need ~100-300 lbs thrust from 2-6 edf systems.
Where can I lern more about good edf design?

The Bell X22 flew from the 1966 to 1988.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_X-22

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CLxIebUejI

Hope this helps.

very interesting, 40million invested and 18 years research, and now you can buy a kids toy quadcopter which does the same thing and is probably more controllable/reliable.

BigOutrunner said:
Arlo1 said:
I am looking to build something cool :wink:
But I need to design a hi power edf I basicly need ~100-300 lbs thrust from 2-6 edf systems.
Where can I lern more about good edf design?

The Bell X22 flew from the 1966 to 1988.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_X-22
Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CLxIebUejI

whatever said:
very interesting, 40million invested and 18 years research, and now you can buy a kids toy quadcopter which does the same thing and is probably more controllable/reliable.

Dang, the Chinese nail us with ANOTHER cheap knockoff.

Hey, let's not forget the AvroCar. Thanks to looking for a pic for this I learned that they did have a few modestly successful flights, I thought it had always been too bouncy and twitchy. They learned so much from the ducting and channeling that has gone into the F35, but they got tired of the project and cancelled it in 1961 when apparently they were on the verge of a breakthrough. Unrealized at the time, of course.

I love the one pic where the guys feet seem to be sticking out the bottom.

yME2NwF.jpg

How cool would be single seater mini jet fighter, with two hiddent edf-s...
Turnigy Rotomax, for example, with cnc milled impellers.

Something similar to Bede BD-5, bt with twin electric EDF-s
[youtube]Lu81z9RpA5Y[/youtube]

vax said:
How cool would be single seater mini jet fighter, with two hiddent edf-s...
Turnigy Rotomax, for example, with cnc milled impellers.

Something similar to Bede BD-5, bt with twin electric EDF-s
[youtube]Lu81z9RpA5Y[/youtube]

Well the only problem is you would need EDF's that are significantly larger to get the same amount performance out of that jet.

Its all about the exhaust velocity, and the mass flow rate.
Jet engines have a high exhaust velocity, with a moderate mass flow rate.
EDF's tend to have a low(ish) exhaust velocity (granted faster than props), and a high mass flow rate.

Its basically a kinetic energy function, which is KE=(Mass)*(velocity)^2

Jet engines are far superior because the velocity is squared, which is why a 10 lb thrust jet turbine will perform similarly to a 50 lb thrust EDF with respect to top speed. So jet engines will always have a higher top speed than EDF's or props.

Acceleration however is all about total thrust, since thats just the good ole standard F=ma, or what we care about a=F/m (F is total force lbs thrust in this case, m is mass, and a is your acceleration)

The Turnigy rotomax's only have 10kW of power each, I don't think you would make it off the ground with only two of them on a BD-5.

The jet engine in that BD-5 is about 326 lbs thrust and is 12" dia x ~25" long if I remember correctly, so the size of EDF that would needed to equal it would be relatively large, to give you an idea you would need 16 of these EDF fans http://www.schuebeler-jets.de/en/hdt-fans-en/ds-94-dia-hdt.html, and they are some of the most powerful RC EDF fans you can buy.

Next problem is power, each of those fans take 5.7 kW of power, so you would need to be able to supply ~100 kW of power to fly it, it flies for about an hour on the jet engine, but we will aim for a quarter that at 15 minutes. Just long enough to take off, circle around a few times, and land again. So that would be a 25 kWhr battery pack, a 8kWhr pack that I made weighed 125 lbs in batteries alone using 20C turnigy lipoly so that is around 390 lbs for the battery pack.

The BD-5 carries 30 gallons of Jet fuel, which weighs 204 lbs, or 51 lbs to give it the same range as the batteries. So it should still be able to take off with that extra 190 lbs of weight. But between the lower exhaust velocity on the EDF's and the heavier weight its flight characteristics will likely not be nearly as good as with the jet. Certain farm animal names come to mind to describe the likely characteristics. Not to mention you just strapped yourself on top of 390lbs of lithium in a small jet with inherently touchy and unstable flight characteristics.

The probably fatal problem is that while you can likely take off with that 390 lb battery pack, landing might not go so well. Your max landing weight is usually a lot less than your max takeoff weight. So normally if pilots have to land again with a full fuel load they dump some before attempting to land. The same applies for the BD-5, in fact an airshow pilot Chuck Lischer died flying a BD-5 when he attempted to land with the tanks more full than they recommended. Since batteries don't lose very much mass when they discharge (electrons don't weigh all that much :lol:) you will either have to land at too high of a speed and break the landing gear and end in a lithium fireball, or stall out and end in a lithium fireball.

So I don't think the day of the electric jet fighter has quite arrived yet. But I definitely would love the idea of just plugging in my jet fighter at night after i am done flying, and not have to pay for the thousands of dollars in fuel to takes to fly them. Some day perhaps.

OK, forget Turnigy, it was just one example.
Let's say, there's two larger EDF motors. Diameter from 300mm to half a metre.
This would improve things considerably...
The idea is to hide fans inside plane body, for smooth and clean aerodynamics.
There's electric propeller planes already flying. So why not very large EDF ones?

Back