• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

HopMod eBike | Frame Kit

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
(They say:)"Retro 70's style Electric Bike | Frame Kit inspired by the BMX, Muscle & Mini Bikes WE ALL LOVED AS KIDS!"

41945a4373363c8a050a0cce27f60703_original.png

Currently on kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/voltagecycles/hopmod-ebike-frame-kit

$1,413 pledged of $29,000 goal
9 backers
24 days to go

I like how the BB can be moved up or back by unbolting the mount and repositioning it. The seat mount is also adjustable position, and that also means that a suspension seat mount is an easy upgrade....

I love it, but I'm in the UK and shipping would be prohibitive (I'm cheap) but I love it! The only modification to the design I would do is extend the chain and seatstays enough to accommodate up to 29" wheels, the clearance looks wide enough to run fatty, but it would allow more experimentation, and a wider array of newer parts to be comparable.

I would thread two m8 bolt holes into the drop outs, one to add supports to extend the skateboard made seat over the rear wheel, and the other to attach folding motorcycle pillion pegs, boom passenger capable! Plus the extended deck becomes a good pannier rack option with rails for the bags attached underneath

I wonder how hard it would be to graft the front end off of a 125 or smaller motorcycle? Being steel, as opposed to alloy, it would be fairly simple to convert to a twin shock/swing arm rear suspension as well. If the geometry is anywhere close could make an awesome dual sport ultralight electric motorcycle. Could a Sturmey Archer 5-speed hub be used as an intermediate gearbox between a big Cyclone or similar motor and a motorcycle type swing arm? Maybe bolt a gear to the disc mount to drive the rear wheel, flip the hub to drive from the left and run the motor backwards...... Or just put the final drive on the disc brake mount on the rear hub and drive from brake mount to brake mount instead.... :idea:

Umm, sure. I bet it could use a gyrocopter rotor too, and a paddlewheel and TWIN TURBOS.

Chalo said:
Umm, sure. I bet it could use a gyrocopter rotor too, and a paddlewheel and TWIN TURBOS.

Perhaps not enough room in the mini bike style frame, but I'm sure a Briggs and Stratton will fit :lol:

Seriously, something like this with a big-ass high voltage battery would be a blast at Glamis, Pismo Dunes, Jawbone Canyon and especially up above 8000' on Forestry Service trails. Quiet and slow like a trials bike set up for exploration...... Just maybe 1/2 the weight too. Lot of room for batteries in that square "triangle".

Yep I am a fan. Would buy one.

Innovation in that seat mount and bb setup right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodlandhills, I know sturmey archer do a 3 speed hub with sprocket teeth on the hub shell meant to be that jackshaft to a tricycle rear axle/diff, same internals as a standard Sa 3s hub, should be able to take the strain of a 3kw cyclone motor, but at this point I would run a basic cyclone motor to a pedalable jackshaft as they designed, but build your own using the botom bracket adjustable placement holes to hold the primary jackshaft in a second bb shell, eliminating the need for their flimsy bracket system, could still pedal it then but adjust the tooth counts for tremendous torque

Looks like this Kickstarter project was cancelled just before the new year... I wonder why

I kinda liked the frame for a moped style commuter

I don't trust that adjustable BB. Doesn't look strong enough with 2 bolts and lateral pedal forces. That needs to be re-engineered.

The rest of the bike is pretty cool.

It does look too much like a moped/motorcycle if your only going to put average e-parts on it.

Posting dated December 26 on FacePlant site:
Thanks You to all who supported the HopMod Project with your funding of the project... we reached 11% of our goal, but with little momentum in the past week realized we will not make our goal for producing the first 50 batch of frames.

We will be reaching out to those who backed the project, and if still interested in having us produce your rideable reward, we will be honoring the KS early bird pricing, (Frame Kit, Ebike Frame Kit, or Complete.)

BTW:
Based on the feedback for this project...
We are considering giving KICKSTARTER another go in the spring with the FAT Tire Frame Version!

Thanks for the overwhelming interest and encouragement of the HopMod eBike | frame Kit project.

Enjoy the Ride!
Marty

https://www.facebook.com/HopMod/

melodious said:
I don't trust that adjustable BB. Doesn't look strong enough with 2 bolts and lateral pedal forces. That needs to be re-engineered.

Most e-bikes have pedals only to keep up appearances. Pretending doesn't impose large structural loads.

People who actually pedal tend to use normal bikes as a starting point, because those are what work best for pedaling.

Cant wait untill i recive my frame,WOHOO! :p
This will be my first ebike build,definitely looking forward to get started.

I love woodland nature,so that will be reflected in the colour schemes
For the frame I think I will go with glossy green paint job.
The seat will be a sprung brown tanned leather seat.
For wheels i will run moto rim/moped tire combo.
The rest of the bike will have gold and black details.
Some sort of rear rack will manifest,but how,i don't yet know. :?

There is so much to learn for a ebike novice like me,but thankfully I found E.S forum.
I really don't have any experience in building ebikes,I study theology and write poetry,so there is
definitely an learning curve to experience. :)
Thinking creatively and conceptualize is thankfully something that even a child like me can do,but the
real challenge will be to make your "thinking" into "building",and that requires some mechanical skills.(which i do not have)

I will take it step by step,i guess. :)

Miro said:

There is so much to learn for a ebike novice like me,but thankfully I found E.S forum.
I really don't have any experience in building ebikes,I study theology and write poetry,so there is
Thinking creatively and conceptualize is thankfully something that even a child like me can do,but the
real challenge will be to make your "thinking" into "building",and that requires some mechanical skills.(which i do not have)

Are you the only backer for this project? Details please!!

skeetab5780 said:
Miro said:

Are you the only backer for this project? Details please!!

I pledged for a bare frame when they run the kickstarter campaign,and so HopMod will honor everyone who
who pledged their money,with a frame,even though the campaign was unsuccessful.
They will only make a small batch of frames.

skeetab5780 said:
how much was the frame only? I like it

I paid 595 dollar for it,maybe a little expensive added the shipping cost at 150-250 dollars to Sweden.

Back