How do I brighten my rear view camera image?

docnjoj

1 GW
OK so I installed a rear view camera and screen and it really does remove the "blind spot" on my trike. But in the sun (which is almost always down here) the screen gets washed out and I can't see the image. Is there a simple way to intensify the image. I am running the system on a Lyen converter @14 volts which seems like the high voltage that a car alternator would run at. The system is a cheep backup camera for a car. I put a hood over it and it helps a bit and so did raising the voltage from 12 V.
otherDoc
View attachment 1IMG_0164.JPG

You're going to have to box that screen completely with the smallest possible opening that is practical. The inside of the box has to be matt black, preferably velvet lined. I'd be inclined to make a tapered snoot as long as possible, maybe 8" to a foot. That hood you have now looks pretty useless.

That's about the best you can do without hacking the electronics which I couldn't do.

--
Bill

Maybe bring the screen closer... a lot closer
tv_glasses.jpg

If you were willing to open up the screen and alter the LCD backing, you could replace the (probably CCFL) backlight that's in there now with either a brighter CCFL or an LED array.

Alternately you could modify the CCFL's inverter to output higher voltage/current to the CCFL, with the caveat that it will burn out the CCFL itself earlier, and probably the inverter itself, too. Or get a higher output inverter and replace teh one in there with it. (which will still shorten teh CCFL's life, though not the inverter).

Thanks guys! I use a mirror also but I am not able to get it to focus right behind me. Where do you get that thing on the eyeglasses, L0ck? AW I would open the thing up if I knew what the heck you were talking about? Would a photo of the inside help? Tiverion has the easiest solution and I will roll out the black duct tape to try that first. I will take the back off since I actually can repair laptops and stuff and solder pretty good. Then perhaps AW and dnmun can translate electronic stuff into understandiblese for me.
otherDoc

Hey L0ck
I did a bit of a search and Scalar makes a number of medical grade devices but the eyeglass thingie is being redesigned and is not sold now. The competition is in China and Israel but nobody is talking price. This may be an idea whose time has not come yet!
otherDoc

Ya know I may just try a mirror mounted on my helmet. I used to use one but stopped cause I got a new helmet. The bike eyeglass mirrors are almost as expensive as the cheep video gadget I am using. Oh well!
otherDoc

Sorry for abusing this thread. But talking about rear view camera, does anybody happen to know how to mirror the image? Basically, I want to see what is on my right behind me on the right on the screen.

Chasing around the cyberpunks...

Take one fun toy:
41h7yxJZecL._AA300_.jpg

(Wild Planet Spy Gear Spy Video ATV-360, $99 from Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1234804508&sr=8-2

...and hack it eg:
http://www.machinegrid.com/2009/02/taking-apart-the-atv-360-eyepiece-head-mounted-display/

Datasheet on the display here:
http://www.machinegrid.com/machinep.../kopin_cyberdisplay_300m_lv_feature_sheet.pdf

This is probably *too* small unless jammed against yer eyeball... Several folks like Brother, Nikon, SAP, Shimadzu etc have all announced see-through mono-displays, but nothing on the streets yet. Ah well...
:)

LocK

Matthijs said:

http://www.scalar.co.jp/english/detail.php?id=t4-n
Yah. Problem is, they only made 500 pairs, four years ago, and they were only sold in Japan for £562 ea... the trick is finding current production that's cheap and available :?

Lock

Lock said:
Matthijs said:

http://www.scalar.co.jp/english/detail.php?id=t4-n
Yah. Problem is, they only made 500 pairs, four years ago, and they were only sold in Japan for £562 ea... the trick is finding current production that's cheap and available :?

Lock

:shock:

The vast majority of LCD displays of the type pictured above are of a transmissive nature. In other words, light produced at the backlight panel shines through the display plane to your eyes, however incident light striking the panel (eg: sunlight) just gets soaked up in the thing and doesn't contribute much else.

Think about an older, monochrome LCD display, like on a digital wristwatch or the very old Tandy model 100. Those are reflective displays. Some have a backlight as well, but the primary illumination is ambient light passing through the screen and being reflected back. These panels have excellent viewability in sunlight.

A hybrid design exists, generally referred to as a transflective panel. These are obviously sort of a compromise design, not nearly as good as a plain ole' monochrome display, but still a great deal better at handling incident light than 99% of common LCD panels. They're fairly popular amongst the in-car PC crowd, and I have a fairly old unit (which was based on an industrial 7" Liliput display modified with a new reflector) which I used in a Miata project. Even with the top down on a sunny day, it wasn't totally impossible to read.

Here's an example of a current-gen unit already modified for direct-sunlight use: http://store.mp3car.com/mp3Car_com_7_Sunlight_Readable_Touchscreen_Monit_p/mon-052.htm I can't vouch for this specific one, but if you browse around the relevant forums for this sort of thing, you should be able to find some reviews and opinions.

Thanks Joe Perez for the learned treatise. Those screens seem all to be touchscreens an cost a bunch. I'll go with the hood first and see if it helps. I can almost see the image in bright sunlight but not good enough to trust the thing completely. I still gotta use mirrors too. Twilight and indoors gives superb images.
otherDoc

Hi OD,

Try the "take a look" mirror that mounts on your glasses. Should be about $15 and I think you can get them from the www.hostelshoppe.com

I tried the rear view camera thing on my streamliner, and had the same issue. It worked great in the garage but out on the track it was totally washed out. I was running it at 8.5 volts though. I'll have to try 14V and see what happens.

-Warren.

Hey Warren
I went from 12 to 14 volts and it actually got a bit brighter but still not extremely visible in bright sun. I'm gonna try a full hood and see if that helps. Thanks for the mirror advice!
otherDoc

Back