How do I get proper tension in a Recumpense V4 drive?

MattyCiii

100 kW
Hello all you V4 drive users, I have two questions:
1) How do you "test" for proper belt tension? Like, is there an optimum amount of deflection when you press down on the belt?
2) What's a good way to set the tension? I mean, with the DaVinci drive there's a screw one can use to just dial in tension then sock-down the mount bolts to lock it in. Is there an easy way to get the V4 tense, until one can tighten down its bolts?

MattyCiii said:
1) How do you "test" for proper belt tension? Like, is there an optimum amount of deflection when you press down on the belt?
Ref: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=126539#p126539 [See page 50 onwards].

Less tension is quieter and easier on the bearings. More tension gives greater capacity (up to a limit).

One easy technique that works great is the "pinch technique":

V4Tension.jpg

(excuse the dirty drive)

Place your pointer finger on the curved indentation on the front of the drive, and your thumb on the pulley. Pinch very firmly, on the edge of bulging veins firm. Tighten screws while pinching.

The belt should not be able to deflect more than 45 degrees from horizontal.

Cheers

Thanks FFR!
You'll be able to spot the parts you made/sold me on my Dahon folder - the shallow chainring adapter, the mini FW adapter, etc. That's gotta be cool, seeing the things you make appear on people's creations...

Back