How do you feel about 60v bike controllers?

I assume 60v is 16S.

I see these popping up more and more lately. Leaf bike even sells 60v controllers now.

So what do you think? Is 60v more desirable than 48v (13S) or 52v (14S)?

Should the ebike industry move over to 60v like Sur-ron and Talaria did?

I personally like the idea of 60v as it is a better spaced step in between 48v and 72v. IMO 52v is just too close to 48v.

60v helps with optimizing for a particular motor winding but 52v doesn't.

P.S. Some 60v pre-built pedal bikes I have found:

1715040058289.png

1715040229620.png

Last edited:
60V controllers are relatively rare. It's a common voltage for controllers that support several voltage levels, but the choices for a 60V controller are narrow. However, it is supported with respect to available components/accessories.
I tested voltages between 14S and 22S in 2S increments to decide on what voltage level I wanted to run. 18S was perfect, and maximized performance while still having a useable throttle. It was sensitive, but still useable. I ended up going with 20S because it's a common/supported voltage level, and just deal with the throttle by adjusting the ramping.
16S would be a great upgrade from 13S, but wouldn't be worth the hassle of upgrading from 14S. 16S would make a factory ebike interesting though.

60V bike controllers are a fascinating advancement in electric bike technology. They offer higher voltage capabilities compared to traditional 36V controllers, which can result in increased power and performance.

Thanks chatGPT!

60V is 16S, which is 67.2V peak for lithium ion? In some countries, this may exceed the levels for low voltage DC, and require added insulation, etc. In my opinion, it starts getting dangerous, especially for younger people with softer fingers. and possible lethal for babies. 48V comes from telephony, and has been shown to be safe, even if you grab the lines during a hurricane,

When I first joined endless sphere, there was a guy who scoffed at us weenies who won't touch 90V DC levels, but he hasn't posted in years so I figured the battery got him.

60V is 16S, which is 67.2V peak for lithium ion? In some countries, this may exceed the levels for low voltage DC, and require added insulation, etc. In my opinion, it starts getting dangerous, especially for younger people with softer fingers. and possible lethal for babies. 48V comes from telephony, and has been shown to be safe, even if you grab the lines during a hurricane,

When I first joined endless sphere, there was a guy who scoffed at us weenies who won't touch 90V DC levels, but he hasn't posted in years so I figured the battery got him.
I just watched a YouTube video on one of the new crop of 60v bikes, but it had a 17s pack. It seems like the only voltage level without a defined/consistent spec.

Back