How many watts do I need?

Personal experience my recumbent trike will pull me (me and equipped trike 350lbs) up any hill without peddling at 10-15 mph at 800-1100 watts. Mostly ride with peddle assist with 7 levels 0w - 800w don't really have any use for over 500w assist.

Have a thumb throttle with with a switch for 3 power levels keep it set for pulling hills around 900w. Don't like changing my pas up and down for hills. When I hit a big or just steep hill and slow down below 10 mph just hit the throttle and walk up any hill.

If you are going to peddle I would find a motor that will not over heat on your longest hill at 10-15mph at the weight you need to pull. have a front gearmotor for my mother set at 700w and it pulls her up any hill just fine but would burn up with me.

PeteCress said:
Chalo said:
The BBS02 I had was quieter than either of the direct drive hub motors I use now.
How many watts were you running it at and why did you switch?

I was using it in stock "750W" configuration, 48V x 25A.

I switched to hubs because the BBS02 consumed and broke too many bicycle drive parts to serve as my daily transportation. I installed it on on a friend's bike. She rides it often, but not enough to wear stuff out often. Since she has had it, I've replaced a bad speed sensor and a bad pedal sensor.

PeteCress said:
Triketech said:
Over the last few months a couple of jewels have surfaced in the trike market...
Besides CraigsList, where do you look and what do you search on?

Bentrider. http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/forumdisplay.php?f=55

donn said:
It looks to me like t-cycle.com has a couple variations on battery mounts that can go under the boom. Worth a look if you haven't been there.
The original underboom mount was for rack mount package and at the time (2015) I wanted something down and dirty for testing the concept. Down & Dirty worked for 5 years.

Phaserunner_Battery.jpg

Recently updated the battery (Luna Wolf) and relocated components. The fabricated mount has a locking slide with a wiring closet.

I spoke to Pat about that product but frankly its not finished. I sent him SolidWorks files on the assembly and parts and gave him the rights should he ever want to build them, but its a very limited market. The Tube Clamp came from T-Cycle.

I don't have pictures of the new mount on-line yet, that will probably be a few months out before I publish an article at Triketech (actually I'll be overhauling the whole site as time permits).

Back