How to extend a battery wire?

Abagrizzli

10 W
I want to move the battery from a frame to a backpack, but the wire is too short, I need another meter or so. What is the easiest plug-n-play solution for this? The connection used is 4mm connectors, and I do have spare units.

"easiest" depends on your experience. If you are experienced in butt-splicing wires, the most reliable easy way is to splice the extra wire into the existing cable.

If you don't want to do that, then since you have the connectors, the next easiest way is simply to make an extension cable. This doubles the number of potential failure points, though.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72127

I used an extension cord, since I had extra connectors I could splice into.

The backpack thing has been done, but doesn't seem optimum to me.

One vendor used magnetic connections for the backpack mounted battery. That provided a quick disconnect solution. If I could figure out how to make something like that, it would be pretty slick!

Wow, I suspected it can't be just easy like that ((((

I've planned to get an extension cord, a 1 meter cut to connect between two ends with 4mm connectors.. What can be potential problems with this connection?

The magnetic connection would be the best, but who makes them?

Soldering is not a possibility for me - I don't know how to solder, don't have the tool and don't know anybody who can do it properly... ((((

New battery? Ufffff

With all the bike stuff you sell on ebay, you should be pretty handy. Buy a soldering iron or a solder gun, and learn how to solder in about 15-30 minutes of practicing. If you do kit installs, you have to know how to lengthen or shorten cables.

Just buy electrical solder with proper flux. It might take a few moments longer with the lead free solder ... I'm still using a roll that's 30 years old with lead in it.

Unfortunately, I'm absolutely ignorant in electric stuff and that kind of work (soldering). Given that I just can't mess up the motor (or the battery), because importing it to our country is illegal, and if anything happens to the motor I can do nothing about it. That is the reason I prefer not to learn on this motor, but to get the most professional help available before I do something wrong.

Anyway, I emailed Paul, waiting for his answer.

4 m/m connectors are too easy, I don't solder them, but use a mini-torch to fill the cup of the brass fitting and then "dip" the stripped wire in.
But, appearently the OP is afraid to get his hand dirty.
Just as well, as the idea of carrying batteries in a back pack is a bad one.
Many have tried it, but as far as I can see, many, if not all find it very tiring very quickly.

Again, guys, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty - I works with bikes, sometimes my hands are so dirty, that you can grow thing on them. :D

But I can't allow to ruin the motor, by doing something wrong and burning the controller or something.

Battery in the backpack is not ideal, I know, but I have to conceal the electrical appearance of the bike as much as I can. I will find the right backpack, and try to make it comfy. If Ego kit, which costs itself like a good bike, use this backpack battery patent with a 6kg battery, sure I can do it with 2.5kg battery I have.

After consulting with Paul, decided to go with the extension cord, without soldering.

Magnetic panic connectors is a very nice idea, but according to Paul, 4mm bullets are of the same nature - they will pull easily and harmlessly if pulled. I take his word on it. :D After I think about it, magnetic connectors might not be strong enough to hold together on gnarly terrain.

Back