Scooter issues

Wisent1998

100 µW
Got a scooter to refurbish and it just needed a battery replacement. Ran fine for a few days until I turned it on and it showed an error.

Opened it up and everything was sitting in a pool of water. It was still charging (not smart but I plugged it in without knowing it was wet inside at the time).

Dried it off

The hall sensor wires and the other ones( display and throttle I think) were slightly deteriorated so I soldered them together then booted it up and the motor was making loud noises while jerking when I pushed the throttle.

Tested the voltages across the hall, all good.

Checked for phase shorts, all good.

Tried to plug the battery on charge but it blew the charger this time. Checked the battery output and it was sitting at around 41V which makes me think it’s still good. The input for the battery was also sitting at the same voltage is that normal?

Opened the motor controller up tested the mosfet diodes, all good. But I noticed one of the bridges was burnt out and I thought I found the root of the problem so I soldered a bit of copper wire to close the bridge. Then tried to plug the battery back in and it blew the connectors.

Now I don’t know what to do.

Was thinking I could try another charger for the battery to see if that’s the issue but I don’t want to break another one so I could try to repair the original charger to see if the battery will charge.

I have a video of the scooter jerking and making noise when I push the throttle but idk how to upload it on here.

Attachments

• IMG_3258.jpeg
    IMG_3258.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3261.jpeg
    IMG_3261.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3265.jpeg
    IMG_3265.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3266.png
    IMG_3266.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 13
I'd guess the FET with the blown trace is shorted. If you have an ohmmeter, you can test by measuring resistance between the legs on the FETs and compare to the others.
While it is possible to replace the FET, the gate driver may also be blown. It would probably be easier and not much more expensive to just buy a new controller.

Yea that’s fair. Was hoping I can save some money haha.

Any idea why the charger blew when I plugged it into the battery? It was unplugged from the controller at the time.

I was thinking the fault put it into a state where it’s outputting high current but idk if that’s how it works

It seems unlikely the charger problem was related to the controller failure unless the charger also got wet.

I have installed a new motor controller now when I turn it on it comes on and stays on when I hold the power button but turns off when I let go of the power button.

When holding the power button after a short while it comes up with an E1 error. Holding it and pushing the throttle makes the error show up faster.

I think the colour coding on the new controller does not correspond to the signal wires.

I’m too scarred to mix match the wires until it works in case something breaks.

Checked the hall sensor voltages and they still alternate while spinning the motor.

How do I trouble shoot this?

If you want others to help, you need to give more info,
-Controller maker, Was it the same brand as the old one, Did the old one work?
-Display make/model. What does E1 say in the owners manual.

If the motor wiring is incorrect, the motor won't run at all or if it does run, it won't have enough power to move a bike/rider, I think that part is probably OK.

I have a Aovopro scooter and replaced the motor controller with this one link. After this happened.

I have installed a new motor controller now when I turn it on the screen turns on but only stays on when I hold the power button and turns off when I let go of the power button.

When holding the power button after a short while it comes up with an E1 error.

I think the colour coding on the new controller does not correspond to the signal wires on the scooter.

I tested the 6 combinations of Blue, Green and Yellow cables and the only progress is that it stays on when Y is not connected to Y

E1 was showing up in all combinations.

I though it was just gonna be an easy transplant as the controller looked identical but only after the issue I tried to find the data sheet for the controller and I cannot seem to find one.

I took the housing off the motor controller and the only thing labelled is the hall input.

Do I test all combinations of Red, Green, Blue and Yellow or is there a more systematic way of trouble shooting this?

Last edited:
Also only after I bought the controller I realised I can not find the data sheet for it anywhere online.

Do I test all combinations of Red, Green, Blue and Yellow or is there a more systematic way of trouble shooting this?
Yes, you can do it systematically by following the flow chart in this article. However, I’d check that the red and black wires still provide 5v, to make sure you didn’t fry the 5v supply during your random testing.

I bought a motor controller to replace a broken one but now that I installed it I may have gotten the wrong one? I thought they all function the same :(

The one with the bigger label (starts with YFS) is the original one.

If the other one is a wrong replacement how would I know which one to get?

Attachments

• IMG_3309.jpeg
    IMG_3309.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3310.jpeg
    IMG_3310.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
You can get everything you need from here:

Yes, you can do it systematically by following the flow chart in this article. However, I’d check that the red and black wires still provide 5v, to make sure you didn’t fry the 5v supply during your random testing.

I tested everything on a separate 5v supply to be sure. Got a another new motor controller identical to the old one from the official manufacturer and its still the same issue.

OK, you got it.

Maybe look at improving the waterproofing. Drain holes to prevent pooling are good. Water also tends to follow wires, so drip loops can help. Totally sealing things tends to not work unless you fully pot with epoxy or similar potting compound.

Back