How to Mount a Cycle Analyst

d8veh

1 GW
I got my new CA and needed to mount it on my handlebars. Two problems:
1. My handlebars are the thick tapered MTB type that taper all the way from the stem to the brake levers so that when I clamp it, it slides down the taper from vibration and ends up upside down.
2. Even if I could get it to stay in the same place, it doesn't seem very secure to leave outside the shops, where curious light-fingered toe-rags would probably twist it off just for the hell of it or to see if they could put it on their own bikes without understanding what it is.
Personally, I don't like the design of the mounting arrangement. It makes other mounting options tricky. The sunken screws in the chamfered edges make it difficult to mount it to a solid flat plate - as does the protruding existing mounting block. I's prefer it if the mounting block where wide and flat to take an adapter plate with four screws rather than the stirrup with two screws if the designers are reading.

Anyway, coming to my question: Has anybody come up with a nice method of mounting it other than using the standard handlebar clamp.
This is how I mounted my last meter, which is much more secure and stealthy and leaves the handlebars clear and you can see the tapered handlebars:
SANY0085.jpg

That looks like a good way to mount the CA if you have the room on your stem.

As for theft/vandalism, Justin says on teh A part of his site that he's not seen or heard of a problem. My CA is mounted securely on my bars, though it can slip slightly over buried tree roots, bumps, etc. I've not noticed a problem with pryinghands, but then I don't leave my bike out in public that much. On my bike it just looks like a large cycling computer; it's pretty inocuous...

I have the Tapered bars as well, and aside from stealing a longer screw for the mount from a seat post reflector, I mounted it stock on the rubber strip it came with, and it's never moved. I even tape my camera to it when I ride.

But I like the mount you made, it looks very professional. I may copy elements of that idea.

I've been using the standard CA mount for a while now, but I've been really apprehensive every time I leave my bike outside the shops, so finally I made my own more secure mount out of a bit of 2mm aluminium plate. It's much more secure now from thieving hands and it doesn't keep sliding down the taper and turning upside down.
SANY0162.jpg

SANY0164.jpg

I like that solution too. My commuter bike had such an insanely beefy handle bar mount that I decided to just drill a hole in it. Then the new large screen CA screwed right onto the bolt using the threaded hole on the back. Ends up looking just about like d8veh's mount does. Right up front and center.

I have tapered handlebars as well. But all I do to keep the CA mount from moving is wrap about 1-inch of the bar tightly (the tighter the better) with black electrical tape so there's no more taper along that 1-inch section of the bar. Mount the CA's lower bracket to that flat (non-tapered) section of bar. Then to ensure it doesn't spin or move... wrap that whole thing neatly and tightly again with a couple more layers of black electrical tape before putting on the upper bracket and the CA itself. If you wrap the electrical tape neatly and tightly (as mentioned) you'll hardly notice it unless you're looking directly from underneath the CA and handle bar.

But I like the brackets you guys made and I'll have to try that too.They'd probably be lot less noticable too if you spray painted them black.

The horizontal bar is a mount for my front light. It's just a bit of plastic tube eith a clamp at one end. It came with a cycle computer.

That is a cool mount. I have had bmx bars on some of my bikes. The nice crossbar gives you lots of handlebar real estate front and center. Nice for mounting a front bag, or lights and computers.

At one point I bought an old vintage set of aero bars, intending to use it to mount a big crossbar in front of the taper bars for all the dashboard stuff. Never did it, and then the new CA mounted too nice to need it.

Back