how to program a sevcon gen4

I might need that thread info soon, i'm considering getting a new 2013 zero motor and a gen 4 controller... I know they are not like kelly or infineon about programming..

I see i'll have "fun" :lol: programming it!

Doc

Hi all, I purchased an IXXAT USB to CAN compact right from the IXXAT (over the phone, they shipped it right to me) for my Sevcon Gen 4 and it works great. I would HIGHLY recommend dishing out the $300. I am willing to lend it for a week or so for a small fee, but I have yet to work out details on that end. Also, I'm not done with using it :p PM me if you're interested.

After getting it working, with a Briggs and Stratton limited edition Etek motor (similar to ME0907, but more powerful: Kv = 60 RPM/Volt):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMH7Z1aJeSs

My advice is to call sevcon. The technical support staff is top-notch and is willing to email you a copy of any information/documentation/software you need for free. They figure, you purchased their $900.00 motor controller, may as well give as much support as possible in return. Seriously, they are very kind and can send you configuration files for your specific motor, and updated firmware, as well as instructions on how to properly set it up.

I have been documenting my '79 CB750 motorcycle conversion on my blog here: http://yameb.blogspot.com/search/label/EtekChopper
And I will soon have a post up on how to program the Sevcon Gen 4 using the IXXAT converter and the DVT software.

Hi,
Can you share some info?
How did you do it? Which software did you use?
Some pic's maybe? Screenshots?

Thanks!!

I wouldn's bother spending $300 if i was sure that it would really work :)

Thanks!!

That is a nice new for the 2012 and 2013 zero that are using sevcon !

Even if you become a master of Sevcon programing, let us know! from now it appear to be much more complicated than a sinple infineon controller!

Doc

Daniel, your project looks like it's coming along well. I've recently got on the road my ME0907 /Sevcon motorbike, and it's running pretty well. I'm using neutral regenerative braking, which I'm still tweaking to get more charging. I will be interested to see how you go with a separate braking pot, that may be a better way to go. The Sevcon is very good, and much quieter than the Kelly I originally fitted, but so many parameters..
I'm running a 13 - 60 gear at the moment and just ordered a 70 tooth to play with, as I think I will be better running the revs a bit higher, will be interested to hear what gearing will work for you, I'm only running 48v at the moment.

Charles

Attachments

• Bike1.jpg
    Bike1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 13,684
FYI my next blog post will be all about how I got the Sevcon Gen4 working.

That bike looks great! I've gotten farther than my blog would suggest. I should have it driving minimally (No lights or front brake) within the week. Then I'm getting it street legal and rebuilding the front disk brake.

There's some things I'm curious and worried about. For one, my gearing is pretty meager compared to that of most EBikes I've seen, only 10/56, but this allows it to go ~65MPH at 72V. I have a 72 tooth rear sprocket I can switch it to, but then it won't go as fast, but it'll have better torque.

How is the top speed and torque of your 4.6:1 gearing? About 50MPH I presume?
Which model/size Sevcon do you have? Mine is the Size 4 350Amp/80Volt model.
How heavy was your bike with the old engine installed? How heavy is it now?

Mine I estimate is about 350lbs after the EV conversion and without a driver. I'm afraid even at 350lbs, my motorcycle won't accelerate fast enough to be safe. It's a 0 to 60 in around 10 seconds, but idk. I feel a motorcycle should be more nimble than that to be safe around bigger cars.

Shouldn't the size 4 be able to do 420 amps?

I'm running size 4 48v unit. I could probably squeeze in another 4 cells to go to 60v which the controller will take, maybe later.
Top speed is 50mph, and it get there nice and quick. I would guess 0-30 is about 3 secs, and 50 in about 6 secs.
I think I run out of torque a higher revs, my current drops off though, so it may be settings still need adjusting.
The motor will go faster though off load. My only slight problem is the motor gets a bit too hot after about 30mins continuous running, I need to ram a bit more air through it.
I'm going to try the 70 tooth gear when it arrives to see what happens, it will be interesting to see if it makes much difference to my top speed, I'm hoping it will just rev a bit faster.
I'm still getting to grips with the programming at high revs, I'm sure I can improve it, will keep cheecking your blog
Bike weight is 330lbs, almost exactly the original weight.

Wow, nice acceleration! Well, your top RPM is limited by your system voltage. An ME0907 voltage constant is 68 rpm/Volt. Add 12V to it (make it 60V), and the top speed will increase by 25%. Increasing the rear sprocket size will lower the top speed and up your acceleration. But if you increase the gear ratio by 25% but increase the voltage by 25%, you will maintain the same top speed, but have a faster acceleration!

Fun times with power conversion... I posted a new thread on how i programmed my Gen 4. I can't wait to actually get to ride my CB750 =]

Hello,
I'm an electrical engineer who tuned the Sevcon Gen4 controller for a two wheel application as my job for 2 yrs. I have the ability and tools to program and service these controllers. I'm in the Austin TX area and would like to offer my services where needed. Since the same controller is used by most Brammo and Zero bikes, I can offer aftermarket (warranty voiding) tweaks and data gathering and well as out-of-warranty repairs. Zero is known for their amazing service, so give them a shot first. Thanks,

-work hard and have fun

Hello,

I contacted Sevcon U.K. , but they can not provide me the DVT software, and send me back to my vectrix dealer where i purchased the scooter from in the first place...

Is there someone here that can provide me this software, so i can try to take a look what's wrong with my Sevcon?

Thanks!

This post has the link to the software, I've tried UK sevcon and I couldn't get much help out of them, it sound's like their Europe or US divisions are more helpful.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48904

Thanks for the help all.
Not started wit even trying to program yet, first check all connections, power, etc.
I have a size 2 (programmed by sevcon) and a size 4 (original, but altered by dealer) for the vectrix.
Now, the size 4 gave 2 lights, and the size 2 was dead. I discovered a pin errir in pin 10, wich is different on both sizes. So, i put contact on pin one, and the size-2 starts!
I adjusted my throttle, and at the end, it worked! I could go forward, still in neutral, and reversed when turning the other direction!
So, i put it outside for a testdrive, and it won't run again. No clue why, and i'm busy with it all day now. Controller lights, and states o.k, pulling its main contactor in, but the *^%^$£&% thing wont run!
I don't know if any of you can give me some advice, but i'm afraid i really have to take a look into the controller itself in order to see why it won't run...

thnx.

If the contactor is operating, then it might be something to do with the forward /reverse switch, any other fault such as throttle pot wiring or seat switch etc. will give an error code.

well, throttle pot seems to be o.k., but is there a seat switch?
If so, where should it be?
Do you have a running VX-2?
I'm curious at the voltage of the "in reast" position of the throttle. (measured on J10 or P10, pin 1 and 2)
I don't have a FW/rev switch, it is in the throttle at my vectrix.
Are you in posession of any schematics?

thnx.

Sorry I haven't got a schematic. On my motorbike I have a seat switch connected for the kick stand, and the forward switch on with ignition. If you can get the dvt software running, you can easily see all the input/output settings, and the throttle pot voltages. It makes it much easier to fault find.

Ok.
I have the DVT software, and i ordered the IXXAT, as the usb-to-can i have, doesn't work with the software.

Is it understandable for a beginner to monitor and locate the problm why it won't run?
Also, are there password-protected areas, or is everything just freely accesible?

When i'm in and have it running, i'd also like to upgrade the max. speed of it. Is this easy to do?

Thanks.

ps. I have a wiring diagram now, so if anyone needs one...?

The DVT software is quite easy to fault find with, and you can access all parameters. In the software there is a GUI which gives a list of controller info, fault info, and range error and settings checks.There is quite a bit of help info in the files with the software such as an error code help spreadsheet.

Attachments

• fault codes.rar
    33.3 KB · Views: 471
Hello Charles,

I received the IXXAT today (i chose a galvanic isolated version).
Now, the DVT software asks me for a TCL file (of the VX-2).
I thought i got my hand on the file, but it is a .DCF file.
Am i doing something wrong, do i have to convert the file, of do i have the wrong file?
Brutally asked maybe: Can you provide me a file? :)
i'm really looking forward now to ride my VX-2 :|

The problem you have is with the configuring of the software in the correct directory. It has to all go in the same one, otherwise it can't find it.
Here's the info:

5.1 Sevcon Controller Program Installer
To install the DVT Software, start the Sevcon Controller Programs-Setup.exe with Administrator rights.
Follow the guide through the installation process and once the first additional setup gets started, follow
the steps below to ensure that everything will be installed correctly:
• ActiveTCL installer: Just accept the defaults for everything. ActiveTcl is the script
interpretation environment that the DVT executes in. The DVT itself is just a bunch of script files,
not an actual program.
• BLT installer: You must install BLT into the same directory as ActiveTcl which is C:\Tcl.
Do not use the default installation path of C:\Program Files\Tcl
• Ixxat drivers: Install the Ixxat drivers for the Ixxat USB-to-CAN. DO NOT RESTART after the
end of the setup.
If the PC shut down during setup, just restart the installer and follow the steps above. If you already have
installed one of the programs, you can jump over the steps with “Cancel”.
Once these three components are installed, setup will install DVT_Customer and prompt you to restart the
computer. Accept the restart this time. Once the computer is restarted, everything should be ready to go.
5.2 Update DVT
If the DVT is already installed, just rename the program folder to program_old and copy the new program
folder in your c:\DVT_Customer folder.
The EDF files need to be in the named folder.

Today i tried to search a fit into the controller, and connected everything.
The gen4 communicates on 250Khz i discovered.
I tried to read several different data.
At a certain moment, i saw a screen where i could test something. It gave me a fwd/neutr/rev/ and throttle, so i played a bit thee, and went to preoperational and operational, in order to try to have the wheel spin.
Didn't work.
I discovered the get fault info butto, and stated the controller was in preop., io error, and tpdo timeout.
I managed to get rid of the errors, exept the tpdo timeout.

Anyway, now the controller gives me 10 blinks.....

Anyone know what to do?
I can's imagine i chacged a value somewhere and loaded it, other than in that small test area field. (and st it back to how it was again.)

It's quite complicated i have to admit.
So many values (of which i think they're o.k.)

Also: everything (io values, throttle) is communicated over CAN and not directly on the controller.
Is it possible to see these values change then as well?
How?

Any baseline ho-to would be great, thanks.

oh, is it possible to have a DCF file opened in the DVT software and see the values of that specific file? Of does it have to be shot into a controller in order to see the set values?

Thanks!

PS. If i ask too many (silly?) questions, just say so.
Also more info on programming the sevcon is highly appreciated. Is there a online coarse, or hwto, learning book, or anything like that?

The dvt software only views what's in the controller. There is a screen in tree which shows all the io and analogue values.
Are you still getting a fault in dvt_top get fault information? If so, is there a hex code listed?

connect, power up, and see fault displayed:

0: 0x4681 Preop

Then i went to operational mode, en get fault list again:

0: 0x4a81 RPDO Timeout (DI)
1: 0x4682 IO init

Then to main screen.
Below it says:

Access level: 0x04
node 1 status:
Traction state:eek:ff
Already logged in at a higher level

Then i cycled power.
Still gives error 0 and 1 as above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

softwareversion UK0319B38
sw checksum: 0xe367
config checksum 0x3258

hw ver: 0x00070004

Back