How to pull low spots out of a tire without tire pliers

I'm no friend of SCHWALBE tires. They pose as German's, but the majority of their tires are made in Indonesia.
They have a few top tires in the high performance line, but most are overpriced Indonesian crap with high tollerances and often plastic like rubber compound. Some of their tires are considered dangerous in the wet, but they last very long.
Very good marketing, low quality product. If you change from the average Schwalbe to a Continetal, Michelin or similar, the difference is very noticeable.
I too have noticed consistency issues with Schwalbe tires disproportionate to their price. But generally their designs are good, puncture protection is effective, and wear life is long (largely in return for the hard "plasticky" compound, I think).

By comparison, Continental tires tend to wear out faster, like for like.

I think the sweet spot for quality, durability, and value is occupied by brands like CST (not their low priced Cheng Shin line nor their premium priced Maxxis line) or mid-priced ($25 to $50 retail) offerings from Kenda.

The better profiles from Kenda and Maxxis are what I use, Conti as well. The list prices may be high, but usually I buy occasions with huge discounts. If you live in a hotter climate, these Schwalbe tires may be acceptable if you don't care about, maybe a little runout. On cold, wet cobble stones, these long lasting compounds slip like on ice. The fat "Big Ben" and "Big Apple" tires for example have a history of landing senior bikers in the hospital.
I prefer a tire that wears a little faster and sticks to the road to a long lasting with critical behavior under wet and cold conditions, but that's me. I know people that are proud to drive a set of bike tires for 15 years and counting...

OK.

Thanks everybody, looks like Swalbe isn't the best. I was also looking hard at armored Kenda tires.

From what you guys are telling me, it seems to me that I should't worry about possibly wrecking this tire by pumping it up with an air compressor fast and hard. I have really good ear protecting for shooting shotguns and rifles. I will use those + saftey glasses.

The max is listed as 65 PSI. I will push the tire all the way to 115 PSI if I Can to finally seat it. I will use copius amounts of lemon pledge to help with the process. I will first shock the tire to 90 PSI and wait a few minutes. I will then shock the tire to 115 PSI with the compressor. IF it blows, oh well I guess. I just got a new job and I can probably afford a $60 Kenda tire.

Last edited:
Inflating to seat is for car mechanics IMO. Every poorly seated bike tire I ever had responded well to letting out all the pressure, squeezing both edges of the tire to the center all around, then slowly inflating and fixing any lopsided bits as I go.

Inflating to seat is for car mechanics IMO. Every poorly seated bike tire I ever had responded well to letting out all the pressure, squeezing both edges of the tire to the center all around, then slowly inflating and fixing any lopsided bits as I go.
I have tried that method painstakingly for hours. It didn't work with this tire... This is my last recourse...

Back