How to run to charge a laptop/anything from bike

Give it a try, in my experience the worst thing that can happen is that it does not work!

What kind of microwave are you thinking of? I know Makita recently released a 40v (36v/10s I suppose) model in their XGT lineup. I was hoping they would release a 2x18v model I could use with my tools but I have not seen one yet. Remember this is likely to draw a lot of current though, so you're going to need generous battery capacity.

I'm sorry but I have to ask this....are you planning on installing the microwave on the back of your bike??? You're in good company here, and definitely a talking point when you can heat up your spaghetti and make some popcorn at the park, just need to seriously consider battery capacity I think. And we need photos 😂.

This dude has the right idea, imagine if you could strap a small beer fridge on top too!

I'd ride it entrance of Botanic Gardens (in disguise), make a show of piercing the packaging, putting it in microwave and setting timer then cycle in to Botanics with it running, cycle around for cpl mins then head over to the hot food stands area. If I time it right just after I get off the bike the microwave pings and I pull out my dinner to eat of top of fridge after grabbing a cold beer!

People in the queues are confused...would probably get in the local rag - they love rubbish like that sent in...

Easy just make a spare 19 or 24 volt battery or whatever it is a battery pack and just give it a bigger battery or you can hook up through the battery probably with a bit of a resistor

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking more for camping. Maybe with trailers and some battery rich friends. Haul a bunch of batteries, xboxes, TVs, projectors, guns, ammo, beer, probably a mini fridge way out in the back country and party. Of course a microwave.

The trike is cool n all, but somewhat comical. I would do that, if I had a larger fleet of bikes. Idk if you could count two bikes as a fleet lol. Also I dont really like hauling around trailers. Looks goofy, the plan would be to bike/hike all the gear in as far away from civilization as possible for an epic party.

Last edited:
Looking forward to watching this evolve! I've had similar thoughts about running appliances and other tools off all my different batteries. I think it's absolutely possible. That Makita microwave is about $900AUD which is just stupid but looks like there are plenty of 24v options. As suggested, maybe build or buy 2x 24v batteries, run them in series for your bike and just reconfigure in parallel for a high power 24v source on those occasions you just can't go on without a snack.

Looking forward to watching this evolve! I've had similar thoughts about running appliances and other tools off all my different batteries. I think it's absolutely possible. That Makita microwave is about $900AUD which is just stupid but looks like there are plenty of 24v options. As suggested, maybe build or buy 2x 24v batteries, run them in series for your bike and just reconfigure in parallel for a high power 24v source on those occasions you just can't go on without a snack.
Only problem is BM is that the ebikes need to be super robust, typically these road are traveled by mule. as a "bush" man yourself, you probably know what i mean. the trailers, too would need to be outfitted with expensive suspenion systems, and even still would need to dismount to get up the trails probably , yeah all the equipment would need to be robust

Come on you guys not everything has to have a battery here's a do-it-yourself solar oven.
Flash your f****** camping put away the laptop the video games go out there with a fishing pole put on your hiking boots for little Dett on so you don't get a tick bite and go outside remember you're camping

Haha today Southern California at the beach is the first time we had sun in the morning in 3 months I'm going to go get my solar oven and a hot dog and get back to you later.
Or else I have a hot stick from prison that's where they take the positive and negative put it on a loop and plug it in the other one goes in your hot dog or not take long at all.

LM2596HVS module will convert up to 60V max (52V nominal ebike is about that), to whatever voltage you need.
Only $2. I put one inside my frame, above the battery, with 12V out for the lights, but you can adjust the voltage for a laptop direct charge.

Unless your laptop needs USB-C, then you need a module for that.
I would use the above module to drop down to 20-24V, then a USB-PD car charger. Many of them accept 12-24V in.

Feed laptop adapter with 48V DC. It might work. Read how and why here:
A guy plugged in a cell phone charger to our bicycle bikes (direct to battery) where I work. I saw his phone light up like it was charging. Is it really possible to plug in a AC adapter to a DC Supply and for it to work?

Haven't read all the above comments properly but OP if you're asking how to charge devices very simply and cheaply from your existing battery, for what it's worth I've used all manner of AC chargers (e.g. Usb phone chargers, at least one apple power supply, cheap generic 240v 12v output power supply off eBay) by running them straight off my 52v (14s) AEG battery. Modern switch mode supplies will accept a much lower voltage range than they specify and still maintain output voltage. I suspect you could have issues with the supply if you tried to draw it's full output current for long periods as the total input power has to remain proportionate to the output, which means higher input current at lower voltages, but as I've said I have used a number of 240vac supplies at 52v with zero issues.
That's wild, a guy did that to one of our bikes. It puzzles the EE too who voltuneers to help us

Back