How would you build an AATV,(amphibious 6 wheeler)?

Link said:
... is that one of the ones that can be switched between series and parallel windings?

More likely it can be series or separately-excited.

:D

Yes, I don't think you'll need a torque converter with that one. Nice :twisted:

Next you'll have to figure out if it's series-wound or separately excited field so you can get the right controller for it.

TylerDurden said:
Link said:
... is that one of the ones that can be switched between series and parallel windings?

More likely it can be series or separately-excited.

:D

That's what I meant. Like certain golf cart motors (I think). Gives excellent powerband. Throw in a couple beefy relays to switch to series for drag mode 8).

Ok now that I've decided on a motor I need to think about a controller. 48 volts and 400 amps should be good I think. I'm leaning towards the Alltrax 4844 but wondering what the advantage is with the more expensive programmable version? What can I program it to do, and do I need that?

The 4844 is programmable:

alltrax site said:
Adjustments via Controller Pro software:

Throttle acceleration / deceleration rate and map profile

Armature current limit

Brake current limit

Under / Over voltage shutdown

Half Speed Reverse

High Pedal Disable

Plug Brake

http://www.alltraxinc.com/Products_AXE.html

OK got it... :oops:

You might also check on the Kelly line:
http://www.kellycontroller.com/mot/Brushed-Motor-Speed_Controller.html

series1.png

They are programmable and in that price range.

As I understand it the Kelly's haven't been used by many people yet. They may be fine but the jury is still out as far as I know.
Also, I still don't know what exactly it is that can be programmed or if I'd actually want or need to do that. :?

The programmable stuff is cool, but you can probably get by without it.

There was a place that was selling rebuilt Curtis controllers for golf cars. I can't remember the name, but the price was right. Dang brain cells are dropping left and right.

Kelly seems to be a good brand. David (Reikiman) over on the V is using one on a project. He seems to think it works pretty well, and their customer service is top notch, from what I hear.

And programmable is not necessary, but useful. I'd get it, if I were you.

The motor arrived today, it's a beauty :mrgreen: 60 pounds of fun waiting for some voltage :shock:
I should be going to look at an Attex 6x6 this weekend.
Still debating the controller issue, leaning towards a Kelly, but will 400 amps be enough at 48 volts? I probably wouldn't want to pull more than that from the pack anyway, right?

Should be. But I'd go for more voltage, if I were you. What brand/size batteries are you using?

The battery is still up in the air, but I don't want to use more than 4 as I don't want to add too much weight and I'm not sure how much room I have. As I mentioned earlier the original Electric Attex ran 36 volts so at 48 I'm already up on that. With 6 6 volt batteries they claimed 4 hours run time which is way more than I need. I'm leaning towards a 70-100 amp hour AGM of some sort, though I may experiment with some mismatched wet cells I have lying around at first to get some idea of what I actually want.

400A should be plenty. You can't probably draw that much unless the motor is nearly stalled.

I agree with Link that you might want some headroom in the voltage department. Try 48v and see how it goes, but it might be nice to have the ability to go up to 60 or 72v later without needing to buy a new controller.

Yes you guys are right, might as well get a controller capable of higher voltage in case I feel the need down the road. Great, more money :shock: The way this thing keeps escalating I'm going to end up with a Zilla 2K, Warp13, and 144 volts of Lithium :? :mrgreen:

JRP3 said:
The way this thing keeps escalating I'm going to end up with a Zilla 2K, Warp13, and 144 volts of Lithium :? :mrgreen:

Only 144 :D?

Dude, don't tease me. I'd LOVE to see what a WarP 13 could really do. Specifically, those claims of 2000 momentary hp. I know electric motors are way more powerful for their size when compared to gas, but, hmm...:?

In any case, that would be so oversized for something of that weight, it wouldn't be funny. Sub 2 second 0-60mph times would be expected 8)...

In relation to the topic, I believe Kelly has phased out their 84V controller and replaced it with a 120(?) volt one. Not sure about price.

I don't see anything on Kelly's website about 84 volt or 120 volt controllers, the most I see is 72 volt.
http://www.kellycontroller.com/mot/Brushed-Motor-Speed_Controller.html
I also noticed this:
24V-72V controller requires separate 18V-40V control supply
:?: Sounds as if I need to buy something else?

Eh, I got faulty info.

And you need a DC - DC converter. Peanuts.

You may not even need that. If the "separate control" draws minimal current, you could just use a voltage regulator.

Those peanuts are adding up :wink:
Dude, don't tease me. I'd LOVE to see what a WarP 13 could really do. Specifically, those claims of 2000 momentary hp. I know electric motors are way more powerful for their size when compared to gas, but, hmm...:?

Something like this:
http://www.go-ev.com/racing-ba.html
http://www.nedra.com/100mph_club.html

Link said:
Eh, I got faulty info.
Actually I've since seen others mention the Kelly's at higher voltage even though I don't see them listed anywhere, so maybe they are coming out with them soon.
Some good news on my project, the Attex I got is between 400-500 pounds, 200 lbs lighter than I was expecting. I also may have a line on a good deal on some Odyssey batteries through work. 8)

Back