HP Printer - DEAD / Replacement Suggestions?

marty

1 MW
HP Officejet 7500A Wide Format e-All-in-One Printer - E910a Repair.

Printer says.. Out of paper. Peak in with flashlight. Rubber rollers on right not turning. Rollers on left are turning.

Find this YouTube video.
How to take apart HP 7500A Multifunction printer.(HP 7500A 프린터 분해하는 방법)
[youtube]YeJOPX5u3yQ[/youtube]
Guy in video moves fast. Suspect he has had some practice. Video is fast dark fuzzy and hard to follow. I have a easier time viewing after I download video and save in my computer. Stop, rewind, repeat. I am slow.

Online copy site here:
How do I download or save a YouTube video to my computer?
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001002.htm

Take notes.

L = Left
R = Right
All screws BLK unless noted otherwise.
All screws Torx 10

Step 1
Remove paper.
Open top, remove ink and printhead. Don't turn off. Remove purple power cord. Ink cartridge should be in the center.
Tape top shut.
Remove rear access door. Note triangle. Push direction of arrow.
Remove 2 screws in rear.
Pry off L cover at bottom.
Snap off front L cover.
Remove 2 screws L of paper tray.
Snap off rear long quarter round cover.
Remove tape from Step 1. Leave tape on scanner.
Open top.
Snap off R cover at bottom.
Snap off front R cover at top R and bottom.
Remove 1 screw bottom R of paper tray.
Open top.
Remove 5 screws.
Disconnect 3 connectors L to R. WHT ribbon on R, BLK/RED, RED/BLK/GRN, WHT/BLK/GRN.
WARNING! disturbing purple red tampon under top cover.
Lift off top cover.
Remove 1 big head silver screw top of ribbon holder.
Disconnect WHT + BLK ribbon.
Remove ribbon holder.
Remove 2 silver small head hinge screws.
Lift off top.
Disconnect 5 connectors L to R. BLK/ORN, BLK/RED, BLUE/BLANK/RED, ORN/BLK, BLK/ORN,GRN/BLK/RED, 2 WHT ribbons. Wide one to front.
Remove 3 ink carriage screws. 2 big head machine screws, and 1 small head short screw at rear.
Remove 2 silver machine screws with washer and bracket at L.
Lift off carriage. Note ORN/BLK wire under rear L motor.
Things are getting really messy now. Get some paper towels, news papers, Ink cleans up with warm water. My hands are black. Now I know why guy in video wears rubber gloves. This might be what is called a Inkjet spittoon?
Inkjet spittoon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkjet_spittoon
This printer is old. I have used $$$? worth of ink over the years. Always bought new cartridges.
Remove rectangle tampon and L shape [L as in the letter L] tampon.
Remove white clip.
Metal box I am guessing is a air valve. Pull it away. Disconnect hose and BLU/BLU wire.
Remove big top ink soak pad.
Remove silver screw with flange washer from hose connector. WHT hose on L. BLK hose on R. Metal box air valve hose snaps in top of connector.
Remove small ink soak pad. Note that it goes under WHT hose on L.
Remove spittoon. [forget exactly where this step goes? Watch the video?] I am not sure how to clean this part? Water? It's a inky mess.
Remove rectangle pad.
Wash pads in warm water.
Remove 2 silver big head machine screws from air pump. Remove air pump motor. 2 gears fall off. [Air pump might be a vacuum?]
Carriage - Remove 6 silver screws and 1 silver machine screw on side, pop off arm at rear. Remove carriage.
Remove part with clear window.
Remove 3 silver screws from circuit board. Metal flag bracket near Ethernet jack.
Remove 1 silver screw with flange washer from small vertical circuit board plastic bracket.
Remove circuit board.
Try to clean ink off the carpet. Wife wants a new house.

Find problem. Cracked gear.
20160410_101758arrow.jpg
20160410_102010.jpg
Gear slipped off [not sure what that is called?] section of shaft.

Now to find the part. Will call HP and tell them of the new law we have.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2015/s3998

Copy from pop up window at:
https://www.ifixit.com/
The Fair Repair Bill, known as S3998 in the State Senate and A6068 in the State Assembly, requires manufacturers to provide owners and independent repair businesses with fair access to service information, security updates, and replacement parts.

Life would be wonderful if manufacturers provided service manuals and parts.

I might have been delusional when I thought I could contact HP.

Fill out form.

Dear HP People,
Need service manual, parts diagram, and disassembly instructions for HP Officejet 7500A E910a Product Number C9309A printer.

Love,
MARTY

Click submit and form goes nowhere?

This product is no longer serviced by HP. You may search for possible solutions on this support website.

Emailed picture of gears on shaft to this place http://www.partshere.com/ no reply as of yet.
20160411_132250sm.jpg

markz said:
Why bother, that stuff is so cheap now. You spend more on ink then the machine itself.
True. Did look online at the local Office Depot/OfficeMax
HP Officejet 7612 Wide Format Wireless Color Inkjet All-In-One Printer, Scanner, Copier And Fax $237 in stock at local store. About $200? if I poke around on the internet. I like to print big CAD drawings up to 13" x 19" Local blue print shop can print drawings up to 5 foot wide.

I love my crappy plastic old printer the same as I love the little girl named Jill that lives inside my GPS.

Notes on disassembly of roller assembly.
roller_assembly_w_arrow.jpg
Remove 3 silver screws from each part next to paper grabber rollers.
Remove 2 parts next to paper grabber rollers and 2 parts under, parts next to paper grabber rollers.
Remove 2 closed end offset springs from paper grabber rollers. Lift and slide to side to remove paper grabber rollers.
Remove long spring from white center roller. Hook towards white roller. Lift and slide to side to remove white center roller.
Remove 1 silver screw and little motor.
Remove 1 big head machine screw, bracket, and belt tensioner.
Remove belt.
Remove plate with rectangle holes by removing 2 closed end flat springs and squeeze clips at each end.
Unsnap small roller shaft end holder [gear end] at inner plate. Leave it hanging.
Remove motor and gear plate by pivot, push, pull, grey and black shaft retainers. This step is tricky. If ya get stuck? Go to sleep and try again in the morning.
Remove screws on inner plate so it can be moved enough to remove gear shaft with cracked gear.
Remove long black plastic paper guide. SURPRISE! screw at one end is T9, this is not a joke. This screw is a little smaller then all the other T10 screws.
Remove gear shaft with cracked gear. Note position of gears. I used a vise and a small block of wood to get the gears off of the shaft. Gently tap on the metal shaft with small block of wood. Vise opened a bit wider then shaft.

Next step is to clean all the inky parts. Plan is to use a tooth brush and warm water. Lots of water.

What type of grease for plastic gears and moving plastic parts? Got wheel bearing grease, brake lube grease, ball joint/tie rod grease in a cartridge, Vaseline. Old grease is white.

Go find computer repair stores, and look in their back alley. Find electronic recycle places they might have what you need.

Replaced the gear and put it all back together. Comes on and makes normal noises. Paper jam error. Never gets to the point to pull paper in. Suspect something might be set in wrong position during reassembly. Should have taken more pictures during disassembly. Might have had a brain fart when I wrote wire colors. Wire connectors can be mixed up. FREE printer. Come and get it before it goes in the trash can.

Went to Office Max to look at printers. Findings:
Ink cartridges - This is what I had. Over the years I gave way too much money to HP. NO MORE!
Laser toner - Office Max sales guy likes laser. Never dealt with toner.
Epson EcoTank Supertank Printers - Takes bottles of ink.

Here are 2 that I am thinking about. Wonder which one will last longer?
Samsung Multifunction Xpress C460FW Nice looking printer $314.03 at Walmart
600x600_21.jpg

Epson WorkForce ET-4500 EcoTank $400 or Epson WorkForce ET-4550 EcoTank $500
et4550_fla-oor-fn_396x264.jpg

Want to print mostly black and color 8.5x11 Would like to print photographs on expensive paper with excellent quality. Old printer printed big 13x19 paper. Without spending a real lot on the printer or the ink don't know if big paper is possible? Local blue print shop can print CAD drawings up to 5 foot wide.

Back