HT35 "parts needed" OFFICIAL HyDro

hydro-one

10 kW
Im thinking this thread could be for complaining of a technical nature.

I'll start!!

Due to the HT35 not having hall sensors as a factory option at the time, I had to cut my axle slot up with a di-grinder, so the wires (10g teflon, and 28g teflon hall wires), would pass undamaged. I guess i went abit far (i didnt think at the time)and now my axle is broken!!! (afr 6 months hard use, including doing a drop that broke 12 spoke, hiting a curb that broke 7 spokes, i could go on and on). So its broke, Im going to order 5 axles from max and keep them onhand for anyone that wants them can contact me via pm!! Unless farfle or someone knows a custom solution, i would be very interested in that......!!

Not really crystalyes fault, but still caused me ALOT of headaches/work . the axle isnt real strong to begin with!! and the design sucks! edit the first one with three wires had a hole in it out of the box, so it actually is thier fault edit and had loose nuts on the bolts that hold the two plates that form the center of the motor. they would have fallen off immediatly and probably ruined the stator. good thing i caught that one. plus the wheels sucked, i could on and on but ill let someone else pick it up!!!!!

DSC04074.JPG

I chopped up my axle with a grinder, and now it's broken. Now I'm complaining about the manufacturer. :lol:

I must say though, I'm not a huge fan of clyte. But the axle design and wire exit of ALL hubmotors sucks, except for Heinzmann.

Change the bearings for ones with 3/4" i/d so you can have a new axle made which is thicker, this will leave more meat with the same size channel for the wiring. Bearings of the same thickness and o/d are available off the shelf with a 3/4" id. Have the new spindle made in stainless or a good quality steel, end of problem.

Simon.

Thanks , I should just do that!!! What kind of metal should I use eg. should i go to the junkyard and find some old shaft and cut down? i know a tractor graveyard on on my routes.....in my motor should i press out the old shaft , then measure it to get the correct size for the press fit? then lathe down the old shaft i found?? what about threads,. I cAn sourse the bearing at local bearing supply , and mabye get the machine work done by a buddy. i bet he can cut threads at his fancy shop mabye ill get a handfull made.....

Sorry sometimes I feel the need to lash out at someone, , one too many chewed hall wires, walks of shame , dead against the wind....

but i still love my bike even with all the pains she gives me ......

thanks for the replys, dogman there were many other problems with this setup right out of the box, times that by three and it was a hell of a lot of work to set it all up properly so i have right to complain!! :D

Use "stressproof" steel for the axle. It's 100Ksi and likely more than you need. It machines well. If you can find it. Stainless is not necessarily the "best" steel for all applications. It excels when you need corrosion resistance and strength at temperature. Other "plain" steels outperform it at ambient temperatures for most applications.

Tench said:
Change the bearings for ones with 3/4" i/d so you can have a new axle made which is thicker, this will leave more meat with the same size channel for the wiring. Bearings of the same thickness and o/d are available off the shelf with a 3/4" id. Have the new spindle made in stainless or a good quality steel, end of problem.

Simon.

Simon, help me find the bearing you talk of. Here is what I have found: (The 6203 is stock) we need a bearing with a 40mm OD to fit the side covers.

6203RS bearings 40mm OD, 17mm ID, 12mm wide 1.575 OD 0.669 ID. 2154lbs dyn 1094axial

6004 42mm OD 20mm ID 12mm Wide 1.654 OD 0.787 ID 2109lbs dyn 1129lbs static

R12 0.7500 1.6250 0.4375 19.05mm ID, 41.27mm OD 11.11mm W 1369lbs
R14 0.8750 1.8750 0.5000 22.22mm ID, 47.62mm OD 12.70mm W 1623lbs

Definitely the right approach, improve their design with larger bearings that allow more room for the wires. As Heinzmann did on the wire side of the axle. But thier design had a huge bearing on the wire side. It allowed the use of normal 10mm round axles, and a much better torque arm with lots of flat space bearing the torque load.

Now why won't the manufacturers do this for us? on the larger motors.

bigmoose said:
Tench said:

Simon.

Simon, help me find the bearing you talk of. Here is what I have found: (The 6203 is stock) we need a bearing with a 40mm OD to fit the side covers.

6203RS bearings 40mm OD, 17mm ID, 12mm wide 1.575 OD 0.669 ID. 2154lbs dyn 1094axial

6004 42mm OD 20mm ID 12mm Wide 1.654 OD 0.787 ID 2109lbs dyn 1129lbs static

R12 0.7500 1.6250 0.4375 19.05mm ID, 41.27mm OD 11.11mm W 1369lbs
R14 0.8750 1.8750 0.5000 22.22mm ID, 47.62mm OD 12.70mm W 1623lbs

Moose, it is simply called a 6203 3/4 or 6203-2rs-3/4 with seals.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6203-2RS-3-4-Ball-Bearing-750-x-40mm-12mm-Sealed-inch-/130336245398

Tench, I thank you!! :D How in the heck did I miss that, I will never know. I have about every bearing catalog (that was issued 20 or so years ago :p ) and never, ever saw that combination. Winner!

Thanks for showing the ol' dog a new trick!

Your welcome! i took mine a bit further, i machined the side cover out to accept a seal with a 24mm i/d which allowed me to keep the spindle dia at 3/4" untill beyond where the wires exited and put a spacer over the spindle with a 24mm o/d to run in the seal and protect the wires.

Wow , one of the smartest big heads, and one of the highest skilled two wheel artist, on the board, getting into it!!!!! loved your mid mount guy!!!! loved your axle solution, and , geez everything else!!!! couldnt you get more power from it by going to a higher rpm, like1500??? I want to see that!!!! (hey didnt john from cr want to make one like that???)..........
Anyhow back to the problems at hand......

Ive got my methods 8x8 holding me up until i fix this, others might be in more of a hurry. Ive got five axles on order from max.. delivery date unknown .......Im getting a press,, (my boss wants to buy one, good timing ;)) . then once i get the old axle out i will take it to my machinist friend and get a 3/4" axle made up . he says $100. and thats a deal i think.......im sure i could do it if i had the tools,,,,,,,,,lathe? how the heck do you carve threads?? oh man there is so much to build, custom pinch bolt dropout plates, cnc stems, pedals,

In other newz i got a bullit frame, pic to follow :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This axle stuff isnt rocket science :D , thanks for the link to the bearings

mike

Gosh. Quite a few of these axles have gone by the wayside after some material was removed. I think they are not strong axles to start with. Crystalyte can't seem to get axles right anymore. The 53xx was kind of weak too.

Hope you can find a suitable replacement.

they suck! im waiting to see if farfle has a solution for us......otherwise i got 5 on order from max, will be around 40 each for anyone that wants one :)

So I had the same issue with my hs3540 in that just yesterday the axle broke in the very same spot.

After reading this thread I picked up a length of 1144 "stressproof" steel rod and took the motor to a local machine shop. they wanted $300 to fabricate the axle!!, looks like I either have to become friends with someone who has nice tools or simply hope the stock axle will not break again. :(

dfar said:
So I had the same issue with my hs3540 in that just yesterday the axle broke in the very same spot.

After reading this thread I picked up a length of 1144 "stressproof" steel rod and took the motor to a local machine shop. they wanted $300 to fabricate the axle!!, looks like I either have to become friends with someone who has nice tools or simply hope the stock axle will not break again. :(

Was the axle groove stock or deepened?

captain387 said:
Was the axle groove stock or deepened?

stock

Turns out when I tried to get the axle out with my pulley extractor it bent the stator and now the axle is off center. Also the machine shop using an arbor press could not remove the axle and told me they would need a hydrolic press.

I think it's time just to purchase another motor, seems a waste though since this has only seen 2-3 months worth of use.

the speed and torque of the motor was great, but this kinda turns me off crystalyte.

ohhh too bad !!!!! I think you must find the right size collar to press on the center, not the stator plates. That sucks although mabye max will give you a deal on a new motor. Where did you get the stressproof rod? mabye if i get really good with the grinder i could make one!!!!

Im about to buy 5 stock axles at considerable expense, mabye this is not the best route, mabye i should just make my own FTW. And make other people some as well. somehow :D :D

hydro-one said:
ohhh too bad !!!!! Where did you get the stressproof rod?

at my local metal sales shop, just happened they had a 6 foot piece of 1 1/4, 1144 stressproof rod waiting for me. Cost roughly $10/foot

I may still try and press out the axle and fabricate a new one, tolerances weren't that great with a new motor anyway, so maybe the machine shop guys were talking about the "stock" wobble the motor had. As I remember the new motor did have a slight wobble to it when I first purchased it.

When I placed the side covers on the motor they seem to spin without hitting the stator or wiring, so I might've jumped the gun.

new axles have arrived

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39502

Wow , just broke my third ht35 axle. They are just not that good :( . they break at the end of the slot cut for wires,near the dropout. I didnt even tighten this one to tight this time, still broke. I have huge thick torque plates.

I probably should have made a new one myself, oh well i still have two to go!! and my buddy is getting pro at pressing them for me!! :mrgreen: I guess i better get on a lathe and mill or sumthin

Back