Hub motor BB drive

Did you attach the sprocket to the Bafang via the disc brake mounting holes or did you drill and tap your own?

I haven't checked on this thread in quite a while. This is a really great design!

There are a lot of places that are restricted to 750W, and the customers want to stay legal. If this is the case, its very valuable to give the 750W-limited motor some gears to help performance and also keep heat down. The improvement in performance should be significant (over using the geared hub in the actual hub of the rear wheel). If someone wanted even better performance, the geared hub from cell_man is a little bigger in diameter, and has a little more copper mass.

Mounting the motor there also leaves lots of room in for the batteries in most frames.

If someone loved a bike frame with an odd-shaped cross-section (I have seen triangular downtubes, plus oval) you can put wax on the tube and fill a round clamp with JB-Weld/Devcon and let it harden. Remove the round clamp and dremel the hardened epoxy in half with a thin cutting disc, and then you'd have a sturdy removable clamp.

I'd like to suggest that you can make the bracket that clamps to the BB...out of two separate mirrored pieces. BBs are made in several different widths. The bracket that holds the motor can be a one-piece with horizontal slots that bolt the two BB pieces together. Of course, you may decide that its stronger to make them one-piece and just in a couple different widths.

I also like that style of frame (low top-bar, strong, chain doesnt pass through the frame stays), looks like a fun project!

Edit: its about time Cyclone, Elation, and Ecospeed get some competition...

eLation have closed.

Back