Hub Motor Questions

CuriousMind

1 µW
Hello everyone,

I want to build my first DIY ebike, so i begann gathering some knowledge, searching for information concerning different parts.
I wonderd, if there is a Database or some kind of Comparisson between different rear hub motors, in regards to power, price, quallity, if they favor max speed or acceleration etc.

Thanks
Felix

Welcome to the forum

No.
it would be out dated before anyone finished typing it. Ebikes evolve faster than anyone can keep up, and there are probably more varieties of ebike motor brands available than there are restaurant chains in the U.S.

However, this tool is a great starting point: http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html
It allows you to see how various motors will perform under different conditions, voltages, loads, inclines, etc.

Best we can usually do, is have you tell us what you want. Your weight, including trailer or cargo, steepness of hills, how fast you want to cruise, how fast you want to get to cruise, and most importantly,,, got any money?

If you want motorcycle like performance, its either going to cost you, or be dangerous to ride a 100 buck bike 50 mph.

What we'd steer you to varies a great deal, from a guy who wants it super light, and just helping him pedal, to a motorcycle with pedals.

Fortunately the middle of the spectrum is fairly cheap and easy,, 1000w 48v kit, and a lithium battery. 25-30 mph depending on the motor rpm, and its fast enough for most, while slow enough to not really need a thousand dollar front fork.

All the knowledge is here in the forum. Just tell us what you want to achieve and we'll tell you why you can't have it.

See Need Advice in sig. Sorry, not familiar with the Location N-R-W. What country is that?

NRW means North Rhine-Westphalia, it's a part of Germany.

Thanks for the help so far, did't expect to get so mutch replys in such short time. I guess I'll open a full on "I seach for this and that thread".

Is it possible to post links to parts you allredy own or want to acquire anyway ?

So put or add Germany in your location. I'm pretty sure everyone has heard of it. You can post links to anything relevant.

You know about the laws in Germany? Max 250w motor and no throttles.

You can't really make a database of motor powers because the power is regulated by the controller, not the motor. All you could have is the size, weight and kV, though some motors come in many kV versions. You could include the motor's power rating, but many of them have 250w written on them to comply with the 250w limit, but that has no relationship to how much power they can handle or produce.

There's no comprehensive database. But there is the ebikes.ca motor simulator, which can help you pick.

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

The rest is up to your own research on manufacturers sites to get the specs you need. Or follow motor specific threads on the forum here and the info will be buried in there somewhere, i'm sure :lol:

Back