Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Hi Mike,
Thanks, more and better videos are to follow shortly.

You are correct, that pack is NOT the 15S2P!
That's my old 12S2P 8ah. It was very small, I fit fitted 6S2P in 2 zippy boxes and then duct taped them together. They delivered their quoted capacity but sagged like a fat lady.

This is the current incarnation of the bike running 15S2P turnigys in a stainless steel box I made up. I've also added BMX style handlebars for more comfortable riding. The controller is on the handlebars, which makes the wiring for the front hub and wattsup meter easy.

ghettobatt.jpg

I haven't gotten around to making up mounts for it, largely because it'll go on another bike soon so it's currently ghetto tied onto this bike with an inner tube. It holds it firm though, even when taking a beating over rough stuff like this :)

bushbash.jpg
While I'm posting pictures

This is my new bike I'll use on a daily basis for riding to work.

bike-pie.jpg

I'll be running a magic pie high speed motor and probably a 12S2P turnigy pack.
I was going to use my current 15S2P but I'm not sure if I can fit it there and clear the front deraileur.
The packs just fit themselves but by the time I put them in a box they are a tad too big. I might be able to rework the box and have the wiring leaving the top of the box instead of the end thus recouping an inch which might just make it fit.

battery-newbike.jpg

Other works in progress (hopefully over the xmas holidays) are a custom cruiser (frame build by aussie jester)
This is a photoshop of how I'm planning it to turn out 8)

hyenacruiser1.jpg

Not sure what motor I'll use yet, I was thinking magic pie too but I might go with something beefier that I can up the current on.
I'd like it to be able to get up to around 60-70km/hr so I'm thinking maybe 18S2P lipo with a controller around 50a.
Batteries will go in the tank section with room for the controller and more batteries if needs be behind the seat post.
I think you said you were getting those sort of speeds from your 9C and modded infineon controller on 15S so with the extra few volts on board I should be able to do it.

I see you have a Cell bike, Hyena.

I love my bike, it's rock solid and hasn't missed a beat. Great spec for the $$$.

Yeah and with a name like Cell they're just begging to be electric powered :p For the money they're hard to beat - Al frame, deore gears and a decent front fork for a bit over $400. The only thing it doesnt have is disc brakes, but for a bit over $100 I can throw some juicy 5 hydro discs up front.

This is my first post on these forums, and I really like the setup! Nice job!

PS where did you get the power analyzer? Was it relatively cheap?

Man, AJ still does great work! Nice lowrider!
otherDoc

Dequinox, it's a wattsup meter. They're available from hobbycity.com, ebay and a few other places.

docnjoj said:
Man, AJ still does great work! Nice lowrider!
otherDoc
It's not built yet Doc, that's just a photoshop of the design I've come up with. It should be pretty sweet once the master starts doin his thing :)

Well, my red bike is no more.

I was on my way to work last week as usual, belting along and came up behind a guy in lycra. He was holding me up a bit but I sat behind him for a while then decided to go around - gave it full throttle went past then jumped over a large speed bump. As I landed I went to pedal and the chain locked then BOOM, my back tyre locks up and I'm fish tailing down the street at 50-60km/hr taking up most of the road. The guy went racing past a few seconds later and I must have looked like an epic douche like I did it on purpose. I'd welded up the handlebars, fork and a rack on the back but not the frame. Geez I dunno, when I buy a bike from kmart for $150 I expect it to last more than a year of jumping off gutters at 50km/hr and high speed offroad bashing :p

So anyway thats the end of that bike. I was going weld it up and reinforce where it broke but I'm going to start over with a sturdier frame

brokenframe.jpg

I thought I'd ressurect this thread with some updates.
I axed the magic pie from my bike pictured a few posts up and decided to stick with their better performing old motors.
This is my commuter bike so I wanted to keep it as minimal and neat as possible.
It's running my old 15S2P lipo pack I've used on previous bikes with a modified bmsbattery controller for around 2500w peak. 8" avid hydros up front and regen + vbrakes on the back. I've got got the matching 7" rear hydro disks to fit too but haven't gotten around to it yet and I don't know if I'll actually bother - the front does most of the braking and a few times I've had the back tyre start lock and skid because I'm braking so hard with the front it's lifting the weight off the back. The GM hub has been relaced into a wider X5 rim, I may redo it later into a black one so it matches the front. I'm quite pleased with my first attempt at lacing a wheel. It's slightly out of true but still usable with V brakes so not too shabby.

I've neatened the stainless steel battery box I made a while back, it's no longer held on by inner tubes which is a huge leap forward although I have at this stage I've only replaced it with blue duct tape. Yes Aussie Jester, a travesty I know :p It's pretty neat but I'll probably replace it with stainless straps when I get around to it. I still have 2 wrists in casts so I can't do too much for the next month.

ebikecommuter.jpg

I've got a new MAC motor here I want to try too and that may end up finding its way onto this bike. I've gotta either drill the spoke holes on the hub or get some new spokes though, the 12ga ones I ordered don't quite fit. You can jam them through if you're dead square on but there's no room to get them in at any sort of angle, which I need to do for many of them.

I've got a keen apprentice to help me out though :)

rilieyrim.jpg

Yeah lipo is awesome. The size, weight, stupidly high C ratings - I wouldn't use anything else now.
That 15S pack gives me up around 60v for half the discharge too so it performs quite well.

In related news I laced the MAC tonight.
I only had to drill every flange hole for the outbound spokes. I wasn't expecting the alloy case to be so rediculously soft - it literally took 1 second with the battery drill to go right through. I also had to drill the DM24 rim for the 12ga nipples to fit though. Of course I noticed this after I'd laced half the spokes and went to tighten them up a little more. DOH!
I might paint the side covers black and leave the rest silver - largely out of boredom.

macdm24.jpg

Hyena said:
I might paint the side covers black and leave the rest silver - largely out of boredom.

Have you ever seen hammertone paint finish? ...I would suggest going for this finish but without using the paint Hyena, just using a ball peen hammer and alot of force you should be able to get a nice 'hammertone' finish :mrgreen:

KiM

p.s you put the my little pony stickers on right after you took the pic didn't you mate? didn't you? you did dindn't you? YOU DID ?! admit it!! ADMiiiiiiT!!!11 :lol:

AussieJester said:
Have you ever seen hammertone paint finish? ...I would suggest going for this finish
Great minds think alike, that's exactly what I put on it this morning.

but without using the paint Hyena, just using a ball peen hammer and alot of force you should be able to get a nice 'hammertone' finish :mrgreen:
Oh, disregard the above :p

No my little pony stickers, I don't have the patience that you do to sit down and cut them out :p

So my little camera I previously used to make my videos died for no particular reason, it just doesn't seem to record any more. After having issues mounting the camera so it recorded exactly where I wanted I found the perfect solution, some spy camera sunglasses 8)

Very cool in theory, unfortunately they're crap... They need resetting with a pin every few times you use them and you only get a decent picture 1 in 5 times you record. It'll either not record at all, record sound but a blank picture or record all in one colour (eg all blue or purple). Pity, I'd happily pay double the price if they worked properly.

I dont know if they're all like that, they worked fine for the first few uses then stopped working properly.
Here's a quick demo incase anyone after a small cheap recording solution wants to have a $20 lucky dip and hope for a good pair.

[youtube]FDJKkhJ39Bs[/youtube]

Hey you should put the LiPo in one of these. I've just ordered one from England for the kit you're sending me. If it will fit LiFePO4 then it will fit LiPo for sure.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&product_id=31

That's a big ass seatpack. It was actually cheaper than anything I could find for battery mounting in NZ, even after I paid for postage. Total cost $50NZD and should be a nice clean removable install.

I was actually just about to buy a pair of those video sunnies, thanks for the timely warning. :wink:

Iv'e already got the mp3 sunnies ($25) off ebay, they've got 2 gigs of memory for mp3's work 95% of the time ok and the're loud. Which is acceptable to me for the el-cheapo price. They are my ebike stereo (used with caution and never in heavy traffic area's).

Matt.

Yeah Stuart that's a good solution, and indeed a big ass bag! I could squeeze 18S5P of lipo into that!!

Matt if you're not terribly fashion concious it's almost worth the $20 gamble to use them as a normal pair of sunnies!

Hyena said:
I found the perfect solution, some spy camera sunglasses.

Pity, I'd happily pay double the price if they worked properly.
Sounds like your plans for a trip to the beach were ruined :lol: :wink:

As I mentioned in another thread somewhere, the footage while riding would look something like

*footage of riding along*
*camera pans to the bum of a hot girl on the footpath*
*rapid motion blur*
*flashes of road, sky, road, sky, road, sky*
*camera comes to rest showing a side angle view of the road*

:lol:

No terribly exciting news to report, I've been in limbo for a while since selling my house and moving into temporary accommodation. But I've bought a sweet new place now and move in in a month so I'm looking forward to kitting out a decent workshop. Early on the list of things to do is fit a heap of solar panels too. Not that ebikes are expensive to charge but running them totally for nothing with free power from the sun is cool :)

In the new year I'll start work on my custom frame build. In the mean time I've been collecting parts.
I recently picked up some marzocchi bomber junior T forks and a suitable 20mm front wheel. The forks are a bit scratched up on the lowers but only around the stickers so fitting some new ones should take care of that. The wheel has 2 small dings in it but rolls fine for now and isn't an issue with disc brakes. I'll be running 24" sun double track rims front and rear on the new build. I also finally got around to fitting my 9" hayes stroker ace brakes (brake upgrade option on the zero x electric motos 8) ) They don't look that big on the 26" rims but should look pretty sweet on the smaller 24s.
View attachment 1

The forks are temporarily bolted up to my commuter / test bench bike. They're alot taller than the previous forks so they change the geometry a bit it feels fine to ride. I'll have to adjust the seat angle though, I nearly slid off the back when I gave it handful of throttle :lol:
I'm running 2.4" DMR moto RTs front and rear and quite like them. They're fairly quiet on the road and have a flattish centre profile for lowish rolling resistance but still have a bit of grip on the gravel and fire trails I like to ride on. I found the hookworms to a bit sketchy in these light offroad situations.

newforks.jpg

Note my uber neat and tidy piece of velcro'd on black vinyl to cover up the wiring mess and half the controller :p
Still temporarily running the 24" new style 9C. The rear brakes are connected as my bloody hydros don't quite clear the motor side case. I'm going to fiddle around with some adaptors when I get a chance and see if I can space the disc and caliper out a bit. If I don't have any luck I'll have to use mechanical calipers I suppose.

Hyena said:
I'll have to adjust the seat angle though, I nearly slid off the back when I gave it handful of throttle :lol:

Pay attention grasshopper :p
The seat angle was correct before fitting these forks (top bar was parallel to the road) - that shows how much taller the forks are.

More aquisitions :)

I've been hunting around for a cracked/bent/damaged full suspension frame I could cut up and customise for my next build and fellow Aussie ES member full throttle has come up with the goods. He very generously gave me his old sintesi bazooka frame + a stem and a few other bits and pieces. Thanks HEAPS mate :D

I was originally planning to cut out the top bar and replace it with a 105x50mm rectangular aluminium section to house the 18S2P lipo pack but I'm not sure I want to risk butchering the frame just yet. Full throttle was telling me this frame was $5000 back in the day :shock: I might make up a neat battery box instead, and see how I go for now. It has a small crack in the swing arm on one side but I think this will be easily repaired and I won't be riding it as hard as full throttle did (look at this current avatar for a pic of how he rode this bike :p )
This is not his actual bike, but it's the same frame

pbpic906095.jpg

This will be fitted up with the guts of the parts I currently have on my commuter bike a few posts up - marzocchi bomber forks, 9" hydros up front and 9C 9x7 24" rear

I'll also be using this frame to copy the geometry for my next big project - a totally custom frame dual suspension mountain bike that will house the lipo pack inside the frame. I'll be using cromo sheet metal with as many bends as possible to minimise the amount of welding. It'll be kind of like the stealth frames but my goal is to keep the frame looking as much like a mtb as possible. So like the fighter, but with anorexia. And leprosy :lol:
18S2P is EASY but I'm going to challenge myself with 24S2P.

Stay tuned kids :p

Back