I think I may have fried my mind.... help!

ERN

100 µW
HI, new here, been reading and reading and reading. The amount of information is CRAZY? I really enjoy reading of others adventures in ebiking so much that I decided to make my own. What I have amassed is as listed:

Flipsky FSESC4.2 50A esc (vesc clone) 4s-13s (60v max)
Turnigy Aerodrive 6364 190kv 65a 10s lipo
18650 2ah 30A 7.2 watt/hr

I think I have read myself into endless circles and would like some input.

I know this is probably very simple stuff, thank you for your patience.

With that I am converting mtn bike to ebike with friction drive brushless outrunner.

I am attempting to loosely follow an instructable by someone calling themself machinecrafted, I thought I had found the original idea on here but for the life of me can't find the post.

It is based on a swinging 63mm outrunner tied to a Vesc controller. To simplify control I substituted a wireless skate board throttle. And it works! That is the good news. It doesn't work well though.

Initially I had planned on running it at 10s (18650). I even ordered the batteries and successfully built the battery. It only became an issue when I decided that I would like to cycle it. I do have some experience building batteries, the batteries were new, top balanced and it has a bms but I could not charge it as my lipo charger only goes to 6s. When trying to find a 10s charger I found out that they liked them way more than I did.

Since the motor is rated for 60volts I decided to build three packs of 4s batteries and run them in series. These batteries I could charge and my charger would give me reliable/relative feedback. I thought things were going well. My batteries are 2ah/7.2 watt/hr with max d/c of 30 amp.

To start things off slow I decided my initial test would be one pack of 4s3p. Static test were good, motor had enough torque to grab the tire and the riding test with my 100 kilos on the back was a success and as expected had lack luster speed and almost no torque. Ride two began with two packs totaling 8s3p. Speed and torque was better but not by much. I have not run all three packs in series as of yet.

My question is how do the bms/esc/battery work together to get torque to the motor? The way I figure it I should be capable of 90 amps from the battery. My bms however is rated at 30 amps, does this form a bottleneck? I set my ESC to 50A.... how does that relate to the previous?

After not finding my answers here I googled a bunch and found some seriously terrifying information about running packs in series, of course this was an engineering forum but since the battery pack is basically sitting between my legs I all of a sudden developed anxiety, lol. Is it relatively safe to run lipo packs in series?

I know this is long but to reiterate I am looking for help with the following:

My question is how do the bms/esc/battery work together?
Should I get a shunt monitor to answer my questions?
Will running 4 4s3p packs in series be a serious problem?
What monitoring system is recommended?

If you got this far you are a trooper and I thank you!

Any feedback would be appreciated,

ERN

If you want to know what current is flowing then you can get the Bluetooth dongle for the FSESC and just read the info on your phone.

The BMS is more like a circuit breaker, you can go a little above it's rating for short bursts, if you pull too much current for too long it will cut power or "trip"

Another issue you will be running into is that the FSESC4.2 will get hot quite quickly, so you'll lose power due to the heat.

I always make battery packs in the configuration needed and then put a Bluetooth BMS on it like a JBD BMS or Ant BMS.
This way you can set conservative limits like max charge to 4.1v and max discharge to 3.3v.
You can still do this with Rc lipo, just make sure that the BMS balance wires are connected correctly so it can react to a fault condition properly.

Reactions: ERN
Before you get too far... what is it you want this system to do for you, under what riding conditions?

That will begin to narrow down what you actually need to do the job, and may change the advice given in response to your questions to get you a system taht does this job for you.

Thanks amberwolf!

Just general riding around. Where I am is very very flat, think Oklahoma but with bridges that ocean going barges go under. I typically ride my bike just for some generalized rest and relaxation but those bridges!

Dry weather only. I would like to be able to do 25mph or so....

i hope that answers the question.

If you want to know what current is flowing then you can get the Bluetooth dongle for the FSESC and just read the info on your phone.
Stupid me, I already have the blue tooth, was having issues with desk top vesc tool so got the dongle to program esc.....

Thanks! that will save some money, and I can figure out what is happening.

Just general riding around. Where I am is very very flat, think Oklahoma but with bridges that ocean going barges go under. I typically ride my bike just for some generalized rest and relaxation but those bridges!

Dry weather only. I would like to be able to do 25mph or so....
What is the worst-case slope of the bridges, and how long is the slope? That, along with the speed you want to go up the slope, and the weight of the system, bike, and you, and anything you carry/tow/etc, will determine how much power you will need to do that. (there are online calculators and simulators, like those at ebikes.ca, kruezotter.de (sp?), etc for that).

The largest bridge is a 3 degree rise (which really doesn’t sound like much) for almost a mile. This was determined by the inclinometer inside my truck.
I think it is said to be 120 feet of clearance for the boats.

I weigh 200 pounds, bike maybe 40 pounds.

I’ll check those calculators out, thanks👍🏻

This page, assuming it's correct,
says that 3 degree slope over a mile is a 5.24 percent slope (slope percentage is the number you'll use in most calculators/etc), and that it's rise would be 0.05 of a mile, which is 264 feet.

If we assume the 3 degrees is really 3 percent, then it says tha'ts only 1.72 degrees, and only 158.4 feet of rise at the end of that mile.

If the total weight is about 240lbs, plus say 30lbs for the electrics (could be a lot less), for 270lbs total.

Using that info this is a very basic simulation to get power guesstimates for both slope versions
using the default motor, controller, and battery in the simulator.

You can try that out to start with, and for instance use the middrive option to simulate the RC motor driving the wheel via whatever method.

Ok so I got a couple days off and can ride the bike. With the Bluetooth dongle in and my phone cranked up it says I am only drawing 18 amps.

I have the Vesc set up for 35 amp max…. What could be limiting my amp draw?

The batteries are supposed to be 30 amp batteries, running 12s 3p so I should be able to get 90 out right?

Will that do?

Attachments

• 68374514-5A98-4A8C-AF44-56C4FFE3A479.png
    68374514-5A98-4A8C-AF44-56C4FFE3A479.png
    278.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 153CC3A7-9637-4451-B315-4EDCF9992BC6.png
    153CC3A7-9637-4451-B315-4EDCF9992BC6.png
    451.4 KB · Views: 7
Not at all unfortunately. On the start page is a floppy disk button called backup config.
If you could just upload the file here, that'd be nice.

Reactions: ERN
Not at all unfortunately. On the start page is a floppy disk button called backup config.
If you could just upload the file here, that'd be nice.
Cant find the files… any help? I am using the phone app on my iPhone. I will see what my computer says later.

You can download the VESC Tool for PC and connect it via USB or Bluetooth.
I can’t find it on the desk top version. See attached. What am I missing?

Attachments

• 05C0EFD3-0443-4F9B-A450-936172D71303.jpeg
    05C0EFD3-0443-4F9B-A450-936172D71303.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
On windows I have a toolbar in the top left.
I don't know anything about apple's OS unfortunately. Maybe you have to press some button in the keyboard for it to show up?

Attachments

• IMG_20230927_080717.jpg
    IMG_20230927_080717.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
If you can't get it to work then just go through the general and foc tabs and take pictures of the relevant settings.

Cant find the files… any help? I am using the phone app on my iPhone. I will see what my computer says later.
This may work. Log in here from Safari on iPhone and use the "Attach files" button below, look for a directory for VESC or whatever program you are using. Check inside that directory and if you find the file you are looking ...

or from your iPhone launch "Files", do a search or press "Browse" then "On My iPhone". Look for a directory for VESC or whatever program you are using. Check inside that directory and if you find the file you are looking for, press share (box with arrow pointing up) and choose how you want to send it off. I Airdrop it to my Mac.

Hope this helps, I am watching this thread to see how the controller stuff pans out.

Last edited:
Back