Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

did you get some good drugs? so much going on.. YES!
welding new brake mount, the crown on serious power and posibilities of big frock off savc' controller.
Q.
-what rubber u gunna run on the phat rim on the crown?
-do you think the bigger motor is more efficient generally with bigger magnets etc?
-what can you say about your experiance with big fat rims on you comuter cos ive been thinking about it more recently and tryinging more trials style stuff on my "monster"...?
keep up the good work Jay :D
edit FT with the "there is no spoon"

full-throttle said:
That's the wrong adapter. It's either for Boxxer or Qr20. Rear Hayes adapters are 10.5mm thick with the bolts in the centre.
haha quite possibly, I found it in my box-o-goodies when I built the bike and it's been on there ever since.
After looking again in the day light I could probably get away with just spacing the swing arm out if the axle was longer, but it aint. There's only just enough axle to get the nut on with the torque arm.
This pic gives a better indication of what's going on. The disc has very minimal clearance from the swing arm itself so even an adapter 5mm thick ain't gonna cut it.

Crown motor looks pretty slick though 8)

dan974 said:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx84WdGcXCDAdVBwNnM4c0ZLRTA/edit
maybe I did not understand the problem very well but in case did you try a 180 or 160 post mount adapter , that way with a 5mm plate and 4screws ?
I'll play around some more before I go cutting the frame but yeah, as the above pic shows there's no much room for movement. The adapter can't go on that side of the mount as it's the mount that the screws thread into. I guess I could remove the wheel and bolt it through from the inside but the caliper is too far away from the disc.
This pic shows the caliper actually sitting where it needs to so that gives you an idea of how I need to mod the mount or the adapter.

After a proper test ride this arvo I definitely can't ride it hard off road with no rear brakes. I couldn't ride nearly as hard as the motor would allow as I couldn't brake with the front alone safely enough on the single track. A few times I felt the front start to wash out and had to run wide to keep it upright.

pendragon8000 said:
what rubber u gunna run on the phat rim on the crown?
Got a berm master on the back for now. I'm not sure if it's the tyre or the power of the motor but a few times today on the test ride I could feel the back breaking out under power

do you think the bigger motor is more efficient generally with bigger magnets etc?
Yeah definitely more efficient. Although my current battery is pretty tired so the voltage was sagging I noticed it doesnt sustain peak power for as long as the equivalent H4080 and certainly not as much as the faster wind batshit motor. I took it up some really steep terrain that is a strain for any motor and it was barely above ambient by the time I got to the top. The controller was warmer than the motor.
The new battery will be a better test for it but so far it seems like it can take quite a bit of punishment.

what can you say about your experience with big fat rims on you comuter cos ive been thinking about it more recently and trying more trials style stuff on my "monster"...?
If you cherish your spine and like avoiding trip to the dentist to replace filings then run fat tyres :lol:

Here's a few pics from this arvos ride.

View attachment 2

fighter-800-2.jpg

can't you use something like that and change the adapter in case maybe a front post mount ? :cry:
file.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/re/fr/shimano-mount-adaptor-rear-is-to-is-203mm/rp-prod13751
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/re/fr/hope-mount-adaptor-front-is-to-post-20mm/rp-prod13735
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/re/fr/shimano-mount-adaptor-rear-post-to-is-180mm/rp-prod17303
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/re/fr/shimano-mount-adaptor-rear-post-to-is-160mm/rp-prod13749

Hyena said:
Yep, moving the brake mount to the far outer edge of the swing arm rather than the inner edge will solve the problem. Luckily being crmo it'll be easy to weld. I wont go crazy with the power, probably stick with 100 amps for now as it's a nice round number. But yeah, if I do switch out controllers I will atleast have to take it for a test ride with it turned up to 11 :twisted:
The 350A is phase amps by the way not battery amps, but still silly for a bicycle. I have the TC80 laced up currently but have a TC65 here as well if I want to swap the guts over. The TC65 on 100v is actually my pick for overall performance and really shines but it just wasnt practical to fit the extra capacity in the fighter frame. These winds are directly comparable to my old H4080 and 65 and I missed the extra top end when running the 65 on 18S, though I've given the TC80 a bit more legs again with an extra 12v this time around. I'll see how it goes, if I'm not happy it's easy to swap the stators. And lets be honest, how long do I actually keep the same motor on this bike for anyway :p This will be the 4th different motor in 2 years :lol:

And yeah, regen only on the back for now. It pulls up pretty well for street riding but for trail riding as you say it's nice to be able to lock up the rear for "skid steering" etc

I'm tossing up whether to weld over the stock CA holes in the frame while I have it stripped, maybe remove the key switch as well and wire up a keyless ignition and immobiliser with a transmitter

With you, my Bomber is its 3rd motor in the last 20 months. The irony is neither my 5403 or 5404 are close to being worn out. I may sell them down the road. [quoteI took it up some really steep terrain that is a strain for any motor and it was barely above ambient by the time I got to the top. The controller was warmer than the motor. ][/quote] Interesting about the TC80 not getting very hot on your climb. Impressive. The Felt Bermaster is the SR241 equivalent in MTB tires. It doesn't work nearly as well as the SR241, but like the SR241 compared to MC tires, when comparing the Berm Master to other MTB or road bicycle tires, it does everything good and nothing great. I contacted Felt Bicycles and asked them if they could make the Bermaster with a 3 ply rating and slightly harder rubber compound. They never responded back :evil: .

what is your rear tyre ? I thought you get shinko 244/241 on it?
looks like that one :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Beach-Cruiser-Reifen-Felt-Berm-Master-schwarz-24x3-0-Neu-/181164896545?clk_rvr_id=583426729485&mfe=sidebar
berm-master.jpg

what is the width of the rim you're using plz ? 1.85" / 64 / 80 mm wide ?

are happy with it / wider stiffer than the halo contra ?

Not surprising felt didnt give you the time of day Rix. I dont think you can technically even get them here in Australia. I got this set from remf (thank mate!) who got them in from the US.
And yeah Dan it's a berm master. Rim is a 24" bicycle size and about 40mm wide ID at the bead. They're the same model of rim I'm running on my gold commuter minus the large trials style holes. I have a few spare if anyone needs one. They're double wall but but not nearly as strong as a MX wheel (but also much lighter)
It's a little wider than the contra, stiffness about the same.

New lipo for the replacement battery arrived today so I'll get started on building the new pack soon. I'm in the process of revamping my workshop so it may not happen for a while but it's badly in need of a clean up. The missus has me renovating our laundry and while out buying cupboards and benches I came across a stack of 3.6m bench tops in unpopular colours for $100. This was too good to pass up so I now have a nice new royal blue laminate workbench that runs most of the length of my workshop. I give it a week before it's a cluttered mess too :p

After a hard day and late night on the tools I was hot and tired so ducked out for a sneaky midnight ride in the night air to cool down. No one around for miles but me and the kangaroos. And possibly the odd Blair witch... :lol:
I don't know if it was just because I was tired but the ride was spookier than usual. I guess it was the headlight throwing long shadows over branches and what not but there were several spots where tree roots across the path looked like big snakes slithering across as the headlight caused the shadows to move and distort as I approached. A number of times I thought I caught movement out of the corner of my eye but was moving too quickly and a split second later all but directly in front of me was pitch black. Some was probably wild life, most was likely just shadows and not the enchanted forest closing in on me as it appeared :lol:

night-rider.jpg

Not trying to validate your spooky sensation, but there is something almost mystical about your photo and the way the light is iluminating the surroundings. Two words, fuqn neat. About your tire, Its funny because here in the States, we can get the Felt Bermasters all day long, but the Razorbacks seem seasonal.

Rick

Yah Jay, the second hides more in the distance. Shadows look increasingly and progressivly darker. Isnt this the same stretch of trail you had the handle bar clip a tree and crash video? Off subject, can you confrim the H40 dimensions from center of spoke hole to spoke hole diameter along with the diameter of the hole and width of the spoke flange? Long story short, maybe lacing up an 18 x1.4 to the H40 for my pops and need this info.

Rick

Rix said:
Yah Jay, the second hides more in the distance.
Interesting choice of words. It's not just the distance that hides things in that shot :wink:

Isnt this the same stretch of trail you had the handle bar clip a tree and crash video?
It's not, but only only half a mile from there so does look kinda similar
Re; the H40, sorry I dont have the measurements. But I'm fairly use it uses the same flange measurements as the 9C style motors if you're using the ebikes.ca spoke calc.
You're getting the H4080 I take it ? That'd go nicely in an 18" moto rim for your dad even on 12S but you'll want a bigger controller. Or are you thinking a whole new build ?

Hyena said:
Rix said:
Yah Jay, the second hides more in the distance.
Interesting choice of words. It's not just the distance that hides things in that shot :wink:

Isnt this the same stretch of trail you had the handle bar clip a tree and crash video?
It's not, but only only half a mile from there so does look kinda similar
Re; the H40, sorry I dont have the measurements. But I'm fairly use it uses the same flange measurements as the 9C style motors if you're using the ebikes.ca spoke calc.
You're getting the H4080 I take it ? That'd go nicely in an 18" moto rim for your dad even on 12S but you'll want a bigger controller. Or are you thinking a whole new build ?

Yes, a whole new build, my dads new bike build has almost as much travel as my bomber front and rear at 9 and 8 inches and loves it with the geared hub. Hes got the bug now and wants another one so he can infect my uncle with the bug. Looking at your pics of the 40 and 35 next to each other, they look like the same diameter, just the spoke flange is wider on the H40. If that's the case, next time you are out in your shop, can you measure the 40's spoke flange width and I will figure out what I need on the Ebikes.ca spoke calculator. I used that for my current bomber build and it was just about perfect. Only had to grind down 1/3 of the spokes and they were only long by a couple of mms.

Winkinatcha, I saw the Alien and got side tracked while typing something facetious; "Yah Jay, the second hides more in the distance" and "Isnt this the same stretch of trail you had the handle bar clip a tree and crash video?" And was going to follow up with "the Alien caused the crash" after the comment. A phone call from Pops while commenting and I forgot to finish before going off topic to hubmotors and rims. But yah, I think the video Jay has clipping the tree and crashing was caused by this guy in the pic. :shock:

Had the chance to ride Jay's fighter last week.
Can't believe how well it goes. Twist the throttle and your over 50km/h in no time.
His commuter also moves along nicely as well.

Was set on using a kit to convert my giant reign but now I don't think I can settle for any less than something like the hyena fighter.

Thanks for letting me have a ride Jay. It is appreciated.

If anyone has a bomber or fighter they want to sell let me know.
It will definately be recieving an upgrade from hyena if i can find one.

Cheers

lawsie said:
Had the chance to ride Jay's fighter last week.
Can't believe how well it goes. Twist the throttle and your over 50km/h in no time.
His commuter also moves along nicely as well.
Was set on using a kit to convert my giant reign but now I don't think I can settle for any less than something like the hyena fighter.
Thanks for letting me have a ride Jay. It is appreciated.
If anyone has a bomber or fighter they want to sell let me know.
It will definately be recieving an upgrade from hyena if i can find one.

Cheers

It funny because around 2.5 years ago, I decided I was going to by a Stealth Bike. Couldn't decide between the Bomber and Fighter, and as usual, money was tight. Then when Hyena post the vid about being diagnosed with cancer back in July 2011, he got the Fighter and started modding it. That got me to pull the trigger, sell my dirt bikes, and go into some debt to get a Bomber. Best thing I did. So like you, Jay influenced me to buy a Stealth, with BTW, is the absolute best production ebike on the planet. Yah, if you get the bike and follow the mad scientist's advise, you will definitely improve on OEM design. Jay should change is motto to "Hyena Ebikes and Mods, Making fast bikes Faster!"
Rick

lawsie said:
now I don't think I can settle for any less than something like the hyena fighter
That's my bad. The dude comes for his first test ride on an electric bike, I throw him the keys the the fastest stealth fighter on the planet :lol:

Thanks Rix, I'm happy to be promoting the electric revolution one way or the other. And it works out like a bit of a pyramid scheme with each person then recruiting someone else once they see how cool fast ebikes are!

As for the slogan, how about: "Hyena electric bikes, laughing at the competition since 2009" :lol:

Ken, watch this space, it wouldn't be the first time someone wanted to buy it :)

As for the slogan, how about: "Hyena electric bikes, laughing at the competition since 2009"

Yah Jay, that works even better, and since I had the privelage of meeting and hanging out with you the Yosemite ride, I can say your slogan fits you better than the one I suggested. :mrgreen:

Rick

This pic gives a better indication of what's going on. The disc has very minimal clearance from the swing arm itself so even an adapter 5mm thick ain't gonna cut it.

How much clearance is there between the disk and swing arm brake post Jay?

Perhaps a machined Z bracket mounted from the out side with taped treads to support furniture bolts may do the trick?

Furniture bolts have a very low head profile (thin disk type) with a sunken Allen key fastener which may fit within the disk and mounting post clearance.

Hey cut cat,
There's bugger all clearance between the disc and the swing arm, but as you said with a flat profile bolt it'd fit and this is what I'm leaning towards doing now rather than cutting and rewelding the frame. I've also ordered a thinner brake adapter to try too. I'll still have to make an adapter but it won't have to be as thick and maybe I can get away with bolting 2 plates of thick Al sheet or bar together to fashion a adapter/bracket rather than having to actually have one machined.

Oh and welcome to ES. Do we know each other from elsewhere ? If not thanks for breaking cover in my lil thread :)

In other news I had a bit of an epic fail on a ride yesterday. Belting along a rough track I saw a nasty patch of rock I couldn't avoid at the last second. I yanked the front up but the bum hit hard and I knew instantly it was bad news. It didn't pop on the spot to my surprise but 30 seconds later powering into a loose gravel corner the tail broke out easier than I'd have though then the dreaded feel of a suddenly completely flat tyre. No salvation from a patch with the big pinch flat / tear (not that I had a pump with me :oops: ) so I found out the hard way I was 1.5 hrs walk from home. The upside is I used the down time to shoot a vlog style commentary of my return walk of shame and the tyre change in the bush with minimal gear so I'll have that up shortly for anyone who's interested.

That's why you want the MC tire on the rear. It could still flat under those kinds of circumstance, but much less likely to do so over the bicycle tire. Glad you didn't crash and break another bone :D

Rick

Yeah Rix a moto rim and tyre would have been much better in this situation. I guess I was trying to offset the weight of the crown motor with a lighter rim and tyre combo but that didn't last long. For most riding it'd probably be fine but this track was particularly rocky and technical. I was zig zagging the whole time aiming for the smaller of the rocky patches to plow over. Of course I could have slowed down but that reduces the fun :p It is a little sketchy though with no rear brake currently. Riding hard offroad with only the front brake and regen to rely on is asking for trouble!

Here's the vid. As I said in the clip it was bloody hot, a stark contrast to those of you in the northern hemisphere with the cold weather and snow!

[youtube]8PHqHEAlII4[/youtube]
(youtube compression murdered the picture quality of this vid :roll: It looks sharp and clear at my end but the uploaded version is terrible. I guess it can't handle all the fine detail of the bush while moving)

Got to carry some tape with you. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jE8EFrbZ8

Second person in two days who I have heard of doing the long walk home through the bush

I'm gonna put a tool kit together today, I keep meaning to,

but i tell myself "she'll be right"every time I go out

Until I get puncture, always at the worst time and place and have to push the heavy bike or ring the Mrs to bring the recovery vehicle

I have chosen to just sacrifice the tyre and ride it flat before, bit dangerous. Especially when it's the front. Lol doesn't do the rim much good either

Nice little booney stomp hike there Jay. At least it was pretty. Yah, no wonder you marked the path with "S", your bike was quite aways off the path, well hidden for sure. Well looks like you got it changed and the nice ding in your rim didn't limit you from riding it out. MC wheel next??

Rick

Back