I bought an $800 bike from R Martin a few years ago.

Lemonsong

1 µW
I bought an $800 bike from R Martin a few years ago. The bike was made in China. Within the first 90 miles the pedal just sheared off. I've never had that happen on any bike before. R Martin offered to replace the pedal and crank arm, but they wanted me to mail the parts to them before they would reimburse me. I had it fixed for an additional $200 at a local bike shop. Soon after, the battery died because the charger stopped putting out any voltage and it wouldn't charge. Again, R Martin wanted me to mail this 20 lb battery back to them and they would "fix" it for $75. Now R Martin says I should replace the battery and charger for another $400. I can't bring myself to spend that much money on fixing it. This bike now sits in my garage unused. It has been a $1000 lemon. I may just try to sell it without a working battery and just cut my losses.

This company sells junk and has terrible cutomer service.

(moderator edit: Moved both of your identical posts to a new thread all your own. Please create your own thread for questions like this, rather than invading someone else's threads. Please do not spam the forum with multiple identical posts.)

I bought an $800 bike from R Martin a few years ago. The bike was made in China. Within the first 90 miles the pedal just sheared off. I've never had that happen on any bike before. R Martin offered to replace the pedal and crank arm, but they wanted me to mail the parts to them before they would reimburse me. I had it fixed for an additional $200 at a local bike shop. Soon after, the battery died because the charger stopped putting out any voltage and it wouldn't charge. Again, R Martin wanted me to mail this 20 lb battery back to them and they would "fix" it for $75. Now R Martin says I should replace the battery and charger for another $400. I can't bring myself to spend that much money on fixing it. This bike now sits in my garage unused. It has been a $1000 lemon. I may just try to sell it without a working battery and just cut my losses.

if the charger died, why not just fix the charger to maintain the battery? where are you located? close to george in vermont?

then you guys could swap parts to make one bike run again.

we can help you fix the charger here. bike parts like pedals can be obtained from parts bikes too. cheaper.

lemon, i said on the other thread where you bashed them that we could help you get the charger working and then you can charge up the pack if hasn't sat unused for too long. that's what we do here.

in the end it is just a battery and a charger just get a generic batterry charger and splice into the connector of the bad charger. probly get a better charger anyway.

don't be absurd. this not like the junk you are tying to kluge together. he has a high end ebike that deserves to be repaired properly.

this is a lifepo4 pack that is worth $300, not your garbage can SLA that don't hold a charge.

he has every reason to be upset that he spent all this money and the thing breaks down, but that's what we do here, help people fix their equipment when it breaks and they are at a loss about how to fix it.

i am hoping he will open his charger and start his own thread with pictures so we can advise him on what to fix.

i expect it is the ICL, and i mail them out for about $2. i think i have helped fix about 12-15 chargers with them so far. all the vpower chargers had this problem so his may be the same and if not we can figure out what else it might be. no reason to waste more money buying more stuff when it just needs to be fixed.

Absurd, There is nothing absurd about making and configuring things to work for your own needs. I'm new to ebikes and was offering a simple solution since he was already not using his bike and gave up repairing it trying to cut his losses. An ebike is worth more to the next person showing that it works. And what ever high and mighty horse you just stepped off, a batterry charger is a batterry charger no mater if it was the one it was designed for it as long as volatage and amperage is correct and even that can be different to achieve a goal, things can be altered. Who ever said for him not to be upset, He has not had good luck with his kit. Hats off to anybody who gets the short end of a stick.

About the only thing I will aknowledge is your wanting to help him with suggestions and solutions .Definetly not your ability to make new guys feel welcomed.

And at the end of the day i can get parts to get mine up and running again reguardless if it isnt a special lifepo4 hense why Im building it my way.

sorry georgefromvt that if by some chance I offended you anywhere as near as I did dnmun. Just a simple no, fix it legit is the way to go would have been fine.

Lemonsong said:

I beg to differ. Are you sure the ebike was a RMartin (Tonaro) bike? I found their customer service very helpful and informative. My first RMartin 12a lasted 1200 miles without any issues. I could have put more effort into fixing it when it died but our summers are so short, prefer not to waste any bike time so purchased a RMartin 10. I trusted the brand enough to buy a second bike. I test rode the Liberty, EZee and other brands and prefer RMartin (Tonaro)s smooth ride and incredible torque. I also purchased and installed a DIY DD 750 Watt hub kit but still found the Rmartin smoother, quieter and better torque.
My new bike has 500 miles and still running smooth and quiet. If it lasts 1200, I'll be satisfied.
R Martin Bike July 26 2010 005.JPG
R10 Sept 2011 016.JPG

http://www.tonaro.cn/products.html

dnmun said:
don't be absurd. this not like the junk you are tying to kluge together. he has a high end ebike that deserves to be repaired properly.....
......i am hoping he will open his charger and start his own thread with pictures so we can advise him on what to fix..

I find those two statements contradictory !
A "repaired properly" would be a replacement charger , not an amateur repair.
..if it failed within the warranty period, the supplier should have fixed it

georgefromvt said:
If it lasts 1200, I'll be satisfied.
1200 mls is only 2-3 months commuting to some folk, and less than a years use to most i suspect. If a bike cannot last 3-5 years it is a very poor situation. :cry:

OK, OK, you win. I think we discussed RMartin AD Nauseam. I'M SATISFIED WITH MY BIKE! Yes 1200 MILES isn't much mileage but it's plenty for me. The bike easily gets my 210lb 51 y/o ass up steep Vermont hills so I'm satisfied with the bike. Moderator--How do we close a thread?????
R10 Sept 2011 038.JPG

Back