iCell...New Bluetooth / cellphone cell monitor

parabellum said:
Sure, this way you don't need to stand up from the couch. :lol:

Well with the Solar BMS you do not even need to check the phone it will take care of charging, balancing and data logging. There is no alarm so you can sleep :) .

Testing with latest iPhone os and my lipo battery, devices didn't show up on either my BT devices pages or in the icell app. Really disappointed. so much promise, very under delivered. Just hope I can get my money back.

Managed to find the manual online. Wish I'd have read it first. Turns out only iPhone 4s and above supported. Probably something to do with low power consumption Bluetooth. Hope people are learning by my mistakes

Update need v4 Bluetooth, so I can update to 4s or above phone or buy iPod touch 5th gen or spend 17$ on arduino nano, hm-10 radio and Nokia LCD shield and build myself a dedicated Monitor. Will wait for iPhones to come down abit first and build the later.

This looks cool! You said it worked on your gf phone. Did you get a chance to test with that? How was it?

Nope the app loads on an iPhone 4 but the BT radios aren't good enough, my gf and I both have iphone 4's (not 4s') but she did her software update when it came out whereas I preferred iOS 6. To make this work you need iOS 7 and a 4s or higher. Even though the manual says it works on iOS 6, the manual lies. Anyway the hm-10 is a bt4 radio for arduino and my Uni project for my masters involved this so I'm hoping it's going to be fairly simple. but really it is a 17 dollar punt to nothing

Bought a 2nd hand 4s today so will be able cross fingers and toes to do a test soon. Will still go ahead with the arduino reader project and 4s will help by letting me know what data is being output by the sensor radios. Will post again when I have successfully read the signals

Great success, I can confirm this works a charm with 7.1 iOS and a 4s iPhone. Phase 2 will start as soon as my arduino, BT radio and Nokia LCD arrive from America.

Phase two is going to hopefully be a standalone device which will simultaneously read all cell and display on one screen at bar charts on a low power low cost arduino based device. Rationale I don't think handle bars is a great place for a 4s and not everyone should have to buy one to benefit from such a brilliant sensor board

Arrived and works perfectly on 5S IOS7icell.png
It's a wonderful device and simply genuis idea for RC Planes, Helis, Cars, Boats. It refuses to power up on 1S. 2S woke it up but vox announce called it low voltage. 3S-8S operates as expected.

However, I'm not so sure I'd call it a "CellLog 8S" replacement. The voice announce is intriguing so I'll take it out for more complete shake down and evaluation.

I just ordered one. I think if you add to your cart and wait a day, it will send you 10% discount. It did for me.

After further use and evaluation - refresh is somewhat slow so it can take several seconds to update. For deeply discharged cells it can be in critical territory a few seconds before showing on the display.

As I said before, it's brilliant and quite useful for running RC plane, heli, car, boat, etc., where you may need to read battery info from afar. For an eBike it's merely a nice luxury to go along with an iPhone mount and/or attempting to squeeze every Wh from a battery pack.

I do like iCell and works great but I don't consider it a must have item for eBike. If you like gadgets and have money to spare - go for it!

Got some of the parts for my stand alone device. Hm10 BT radio is surface mount so have ordered a breakout board for it designed by a chap who has an instruct able for it. Will work on the display (Nokia screen) till that arrives

Had some progress interfacing the 5110 Nokia screen. One mornings work and I got to take the piss out of a mate of mine. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397849137.446853.jpg
So have got some pcb break out boards on order for the surface mount hm 10 radio 6.8$ for 3 design by a dude from instructsables.

Anyway oshpark is American and will take forever to get to the UK. Boredom of waiting for shopping is killing me.

Sad to report ch 8 of my iCell device has begun reading 150-200mV higher than the true voltage measurement. Component must have drifted out of tolerance. Not worth dealing with a return to Turkey, argh....

EDIT - messed up the decimal point and it's actually off by 150-200mV.

parabellum said:
Ykick said:
Sad to report ch 8 of my iCell device has begun reading 15-20mV higher than the true voltage measurement. Component must have drifted out of tolerance. Not worth dealing with a return to Turkey, argh....
Not software calibrate-able?

I wished, here's the only settings I found:iCellSettings.jpg

While bulk charging saw 4.29V on #8 cell. Quick check with different meter, Cell Log, revealed roughly 200mV error on that channel.

Oops, edit to correct this is a 150-200mV error!

Are there other Bluetooth data loggers?

I've got a background in IOS development and always looking for new projects...

Bit interface to the cycle analyst would be cool :)

oh nice :)

ta!

Back