• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

iCell...New Bluetooth / cellphone cell monitor

So flytron makers of the icell are moving to Kent, UK. I've made email contact with them and they seem open to ideas for catering for the ebike fraternity. Will report back when I know more. Oh and they currently have a 20% off moving sale before they relocate from turkey.

No news on android as yet, but I figure this has more to do with BLE being nascent tech that is new Bluetooth standard. As I understand it 4.3 android (jellybean) supports the BLE and has an API. You have to be sure you have an android device with the correct Bluetooth low energy radio. but no app as yet. Ill see what I can do about that since Id like one for my nexus 10.

whereswally606 said:
No news on android as yet, but I figure this has more to do with BLE being nascent tech that is new Bluetooth standard. As I understand it 4.3 android (jellybean) supports the BLE and has an API. You have to be sure you have an android device with the correct Bluetooth low energy radio. but no app as yet. Ill see what I can do about that since Id like one for my nexus 10.

Only high end phones have it currently. Samsung has plenty of them. But BLE will be available with most devices going forward.

I tested it today. The iCell is slightly off for most of cells and one is really off compared to my cell logger. The cell logger was reading all at 3.77.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400013488.326529.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400013346.728836.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400013346.728836.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,044
drew12345 said:
I tested it today. The iCell is slightly off for most of cells and one is really off compared to my cell logger. The cell logger was reading all at 3.77.

It seems inevitable to integrate software calibration in the app for every individual module.
Can you try to shift the battery 1-2-3 positions in negative direction, so you get 5-4-3 cell measurement and compare result of respective cells also the overall behavior. If module does not go of whack when more or less cells are connected.

Same with mine. One of the voltages is off by .05. If you read this thread they said there will be a app update to calibrate it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2108670&page=2

Post on DIY Drones blog about the device.

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blog/show?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A1568189

Comments on there from the device developer suggests that it's using a resistive divider network. which means uneven cell drain and maybe different levels of accuracy for each cell (less for those higher up the stack).

This approach (wireless modules) has so much potential. If it just had a better front end such as differential amps for each cell. BLE development is much more straight forward than regular Bluetooth and with the right app you can just aggregate the data from multiple units to one view of a high voltage battery ... ie no need for a module that does 12s or 18s or any special isolation, just attach a few of them and the radio provides your isolation :)

Be interesting if anyone has some macro photos of both sides of this thing to get a better idea of the circuit.

Dean

Individual cell calibration would be a nice update. Now I get "cell problem detected land as soon as possible" due to the 200mV error on my ch 8.

Thanks for the RC group link - good to see the developer posting tidbits.

I'm designing my own 12-24S bluetooth cell monitor based on an Intersil chip that will integrate with my Android app for the CA (see separate post).It won't be Bluetooth 4 LE though due to the lack of device support.

It's a longer term project though and probably won't get finished for a few months yet.

Sigmacom said:
I'm designing my own 12-24S bluetooth cell monitor based on an Intersil chip that will integrate with my Android app for the CA (see separate post).It won't be Bluetooth 4 LE though due to the lack of device support.

It's a longer term project though and probably won't get finished for a few months yet.
That is cool. here is the link http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59893

Back