Idea for a cruiser

-Celeritas-

1 µW
Hi All,

I have been a long time lurker but don't think I have ever actually posted before. I'd like to build a bike one of these days but I am still not sure what direction I want to take. I am leaning more towards RC+full suspension now but one of the ideas I had a while back was to build a retro cruiser using the Felt MP.

It has a rear rack but I was thinking a custom battery box in the center frame would be better for weight distribution. A powerful rear hub or mid drive with a belt/sheave would probably work well with the vintage motorcycle style if it would fit.

Anyone else think this would be neat?

GcHuN.jpg

Attachments

• FeltMP.jpg
    FeltMP.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 228
No doubt about it, a cruiser is nice for a cruise. But I like FS for a longer ride.

I've got the Felt 1903, based on that same frame with a springer fork. Balloon tires make it a sweet ride to about 15mph. After that, not so good.

But it sure would look good!

the MP is based on an Aluminum frame, but they make a steel frame version that some of the other models use. With that frame, you could cut a hole in the tank and get 36V10Ah of Lipo and the controller inside.

you'll also discover they used a 110mm rear dropout, so you need a steel frame so you can spread it wide enough for a rear motor.

But I like the design.

That Felt would make a great looking ebike. The big question is how good are the roads in your area. If they're nice and smooth the cruiser should be fine. If they're bumpy, then FS will be more comfortable. The roads here are far from ideal, yet I've run a hardtail for nearly 3 years. You quickly learn every detail of your roads, and there's typically a good single track somewhere in there, and if you avoid the bumps and holes a hardtail has better handling on the street.

Drunkskunk said:
I've got the Felt 1903, based on that same frame with a springer fork. Balloon tires make it a sweet ride to about 15mph. After that, not so good.

But it sure would look good!

the MP is based on an Aluminum frame, but they make a steel frame version that some of the other models use. With that frame, you could cut a hole in the tank and get 36V10Ah of Lipo and the controller inside.

you'll also discover they used a 110mm rear dropout, so you need a steel frame so you can spread it wide enough for a rear motor.

But I like the design.

Is your 1903 modded or still a regular bike?

The specs on their website only list the MP as being Steel but the dropout width was one of my concerns with this design due to the lack of a cassette. It would also need real brakes regardless of the setup since it only has a coaster back there to start with.

The do list it as steel, maybe thats changed. the only one I've seen in person was Aluminum. They look even better up close! :D

My 1903 was unmodified. Right now it has no wheels, (stole them for another project, 50mm rims are great) but I plan to leave it stock. Its too nice the way it is. Actualy, after buying it to cut up to modify, I bought an antique cruiser to modify instead because the Felt felt too "right" stock.

Back