IGH’s (Internally Geared Hub’s) - Sturmey Archer, Shimano, Enviolo, Kindernay, Rohloff

ccihon said:
This would also allow me to use a shift sensor on the cable.

All the relatively recent two-cable hubs have spooled cables, meaning they both move together. You can use a shift sensor with any of them.

Some ancient 5 speed Sturmey Archer and Sachs hubs use two cables to actuate different parts of the shift mechanism, so those wouldn't work.

ccihon said:
I do think the Alfine 8 is a single cable shifter, and there are third-party simple shifters, include bar-ends, which I prefer, that can shift the unit. This would also allow me to use a shift sensor on the cable. Price seems good too - reliability may be a bit of a question mark.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a build using an BBSHD w/ an Alfine 8 and a barend shifter. While I can't comment on the reliability just yet there are a few gotchas that might help anyone considering using one.

First, If you want to use a barend shifter you'll need an inline barrel adjuster. Second, the direction of the shifting (slackest is lowest or highest) varies between the different Alfine models. I have the SG-S7001-8 and luckily for me this matches the behavior of my barend/derailleur setup on my daily: slackest or least taut is the highest gear. Last, you'll probably need to buy the 'small parts kit' separately depending on the orientation of your drop outs. This will include the snap ring for the cog, the nuts and no-slip washers, and the cassette joint that does the shifting.

I really dig mine so far, but it's geared a little low for my tastes. Unfortunately with the BBSHD there isn't any room for a larger chainring without using BB spacers and screwing up my chainline. But one nice thing about these is the sprockets are very cheap(<$10) so I've got a few I plan on experimenting with. The Alfine can actually use the 3 splined sturmey-archer cogs too.

All that being said, I dig the setup, but I long for a 3 speed IGH that's strong and has an extra wide ratio. That would be the bee's knees.

I wrote up a blog post on the Enviolo Cargo CVT hub I am pairing with a BBS01 https://ebikelovers.com/2022/03/28/review-the-enviolo-continuously-variable-transmission-cvt-for-e-bikes/

Chalo said:
Grautuefel said:
On a more serious note, do the kindernays really leak? Or is chalo being pessamistic. Because I got frustrated constantly adjusting the cable brakes on mine I replaced them with shimano hydraulics and have never looked back. Essentially maintenance free and always have the right pressure and grab.

I see a lot more hydraulic brakes that don't work right than ones that do. I assume a hydraulic shifter would see less pressure less often than a brake, and might leak less for that reason. Still it seems like it offers extra complication and points of failure for no benefit whatsoever.

I know you know quite a lot about bikes but here we really have different opinions. My disc brakes have been “fit and forget” kind of performance and i’ve worked as a bike messenger. 80-100km a day, 200 days per year. Racing and commuting at 15000-20000km per year.

Cable brakes on the other hand.. they got filled with muck, pulled coarsely, rust, stretch, broke, whatever. Replacement each year. I’ve used everything.. campagnolos, shimanos, hopes, dia-compes, Avids. cantilevers, V-s, discs, clams. “Sealed” cables. Gore-tex lined.. bla bla.

I’ve had rim brakes and rims totally covered with ice from subzero water splashes. No brakes..

I’ve had the same with discs. Ice was cracked off at first hard pressure from the pad.

Do you accept daily cleaning and maintenance as an acceptable part of using cable brakes or do you live in a warm, dry climate? I don’t get how you can see more failure points in a disc brake.

I work at a community bike shop that operates on donations. I can tell you from large-sample observation that most bikes with cable brakes come in more or less operational, and most hydro brakes come in defunct. Make of this what you will. I can only say it agrees in principle with my experience of working in commercial bike shops (which I still do). Hydraulic brakes are way overrepresented among brakes that don't work at all.

Sure as hell ain't gonna wank up my shifting that way.

17mph18a said:
I wrote up a blog post on the Enviolo Cargo CVT hub I am pairing with a BBS01 https://ebikelovers.com/2022/03/28/review-the-enviolo-continuously-variable-transmission-cvt-for-e-bikes/

did you choose the cargo because the sportive did not come in 135mm?

17mph18a said:
maiz said:

The Cargo is rated to 100Nm so it suits my use as my BBS01 motor delivers approx 80Nm.

I see. the sportive is rated at 130? but apparently not available at 135mm

17mph18a said:
maiz said:

The Cargo is rated to 100Nm so it suits my use as my BBS01 motor delivers approx 80Nm.

First, you have to add your maximum pedal torque to the motor's torque.

Second, you have to divide by the primary (external chain) gear ratio.

If the sum of your pedal torque plus motor torque exceeds 100Nm at the hub, you may have to raise the chain drive ratio to get it back down under 100.

Back