Induction Cooktop

ZeroEm

1 MW
Any one here using this type of stove/cooker

Planning on getting one to try out, a portable one to test it before installing a in counter one.

Anyone have one or experienced using one?

I helped my dad install an Induction cooktop a couple years ago at their house. Works great once you learn how to use it. I am not over at their place enough to learn how to use it. Heated 2 liters of water from 56ºf (13.3ºC) to rolling boil in around 2 minutes. Use a magnet to test if your current cookware will work with the Induction cooktop.
Later floyd

We use stainless steel and cast iron, no non stick or anything like that. Wanting to clean up the air in the home a little more. keeping the new gas oven. Sounds like that work great once one gets used to using them.

We use stainless steel and cast iron, no non stick or anything like that. Wanting to clean up the air in the home a little more. keeping the new gas oven. Sounds like that work great once one gets used to using them.
Nothing better then cast iron for a non-stick surface. I use cast iron all the time.

a portable one to test it before installing a in counter one.

They will be fundamentally different since all the magick happens in the cook top controller. And every cook top will have a different controller. If you buy a cheap (or even not so cheap) portable one with poor regulation of power, you'll get the wrong impression that a counter one would suck also.

Smart to use both, in my opinion. Gas and induction have their strengths and weaknesses, and I like the flexibility to choose. Plus having a portable one means you will get the chance to retrain on what setting work with what cooking. For example, it works as a rice cooker: find the setting that simmers rice in the pot that you like, set it's internal 15-minute timer, and walk away, your rice will turn itself off. Or, i love it for deep frying. It regulates its own oil temperature, once you get it dialed in with the pot you use and the amount of oil you use.

Also works great in that if a pot boils over and you make a mess, super easy to clean up the glass. Since the glass itself isn't what's getting hot, then boiled over cream doesn't scorch to the cook surface and require chipping off.

I have a Winco standalone 1800w that I use in part to cook down maple syrup even, it works great if you get one that's good quality.

I strongly agree with all the pros listed by Harrisonpatm, above. Use a convention range at home, and it’s leagues better than the gas stovetops that I used to use and prefer. Boil times are incredibly short and the smooth glass surface makes cleanup a breeze. Plus, it’s electric! So we can power our cooking with our rooftop solar rather than using more natural gas.

if you cook on iron, keep an eye on iron levels in your blood. mine was sky high years ago and i don't use iron ever.
as i recall high ferritin can cause a heart attack.
after i cut out beef my ferritin came way down.
bare aluminum is said to be very bad too.
i only use SS.
i cook on electric but not induction. i did test my SS pots with a magnet and only one stuck. so no induction for me. not buying all new pots. also my stews like a little extra heat to taste delicious. not sure if induction would taste as good. must have it thicken on the bottom.
so who knows, if a stew cooks too long on induction, where does it dry out first?

I have had an induction cooktop for 2 years. Compared to a resistance cooktop, well there is no comparison. Induction is that much better. The speed of heating and control rival gas without any of the negatives. I was fortunate that the stainless steel cookware that I had all works with induction.

say you want to fry an egg, can you heat the empty pan so it sizzles?
how about pancakes? can you heat up the pan to about 400F so when you pour it in it gets browned?
can you bake a potato in a 1qt pan on top? (not in the oven) Not boiled, i know it boils good.
how about stir fry? will it fry?
can you name any restaurants where they only use induction?

Last edited:
say you want to fry an egg, can you heat the empty pan so it sizzles?
how about pancakes? can you heat up the pan to about 400F so when you pour it in it gets browned?
can you bake a potato in a 1qt pan on top? (not in the oven) Not boiled, i know it boils good.
how about stir fry? will it fry?
Yes to everything, more quickly than gas, more evenly too.
can you name any restaurants where they only use induction?
Not only, you will never find a restaurant that only uses one form of heat. I'm a chef, have worked in many different professional kitchens of various qualities. We pick which heat we use depending on what we are cooking. Induction is great for slowly bringing up milk to make yogurt, cooking in the basement prep kitchen that doesn't have gas, pastry stations removed from the hot line where you want precise temp control. The bartenders like induction so they don't have to bug the chef for sautee space to make their syrups and infusions. I worked in one place that had a standalone, massive, single induction plate on rollers that would hold a 50 gallon stock pot, it was awesome to use, so much nicer than gas in this application.

Also you can bring the cooking pan surface to raging hot temps, but the handles of the pot stay cook. Or the spatula you leave hanging out of the pot for stirring, the handle that hangs outside the pot doesn't melt or burn from flames licking it.

https://www.katom.com/084-MSP7000200.html Like this one.

Alinea in chicago, one of the best restaurants in the world, comes close to what you suggest, and uses induction extensively. Was integral to their design, all the way back in 2004.

thanks. it sounds much better now. :bigthumb:
Now i see why my neighbor put out 5 nice pots and pans next to the trash can. only 1 would work.
i like free stuff :cool:
EDIT last year my neighbor put an induction range at the curb, but not free, $100. looked nice was tempting. next time i see him, i'll ask what was the replacement and why. 🌫️

Last edited:
Also you can bring the cooking pan surface to raging hot temps, but the handles of the pot stay cook.

Interesting thing about it, i have a cheap standalone single burner induction cooktop and it won't let me heat up an empty cast iron pan to the point when fat residue can burn out. Something to do with a thermal protection, i guess there is a temperature sensor right underneath a glass surface.

But when you pour some sunflower oil to the bottom - no problems at all, you can heat it up to the desirable temperatures. Cast iron pans are perfect for frying potatoes!

if you cook on iron, keep an eye on iron levels in your blood. mine was sky high years ago and i don't use iron ever.
as i recall high ferritin can cause a heart attack.
That iron isn't bioavailable, and you'd have to be pickaxing your food to break off enough to put into your diet.
Interesting thing about it, i have a cheap standalone single burner induction cooktop and it won't let me heat up an empty cast iron pan to the point when fat residue can burn out. Something to do with a thermal protection, i guess there is a temperature sensor right underneath a glass surface.

But when you pour some sunflower oil to the bottom - no problems at all, you can heat it up to the desirable temperatures. Cast iron pans are perfect for frying potatoes!
I hope to make use of an induction oven soon. but for better or worse my 70s gas stove still trucks along. Ah well, waste not won't not.

I’ve had an induction stove for a couple years and my only complaint is the same complaint I have for my microwave and air-fryer (toaster): they all have annoying fans that stay on minutes after you’re finished with them. I’ve repeatedly threatened to open them and add heatsinks instead. white noise is worth avoiding if you can.

Last edited:
talked to my neighbor. he says he likes them :bigthumb:
the reason he sold 1 was because the controls were in back, and he wanted in front (like mine).

i've got an induction hob in my campervan, much easier to clean than a gas hob as totally flat, but you can't lift the pan off the hob to tilt to baste for instance without it complaining - that's my main gripe. Also nice that you can set the heat level as temperature, watt level or 1-10.

Back