Installing a tubeless motorcycle tire on your Moto Rim

teslanv

1 MW
As part of Kinaye's attempt to achieve ever higher top speeds and drag race times, we continue to experiment with various aspects of ebike performance.

In our latest iteration of our Vector Drag Race bike, we upgraded our motor to a QS 205H 3T Motor, and installed it in a 2.50" x 16" Motorcycle rim.

Our wheel builder, who is an avid cyclist continues to stress the importance of wheel weight and minimizing the "rotational inertia" of our wheels.
With a QS DD Hub and motorcycle rim, we are already way behind in this aspect. In fact, I've observed that some of the quickest and fastest ebikes continue to run bicycle rims and tires despite an increased risk of catastrophic failure at these high speeds.
Our Rider (Kingfish) refuses to accept such risk on the drag strip, so we design to motorcycle standards: thus the Motorcycle rim, and high-performance motorcycle tires.

Ultimately performance must be balanced with safety.

In this experiment, our goal was to be able to USE a high-performance motorcycle tire, AND to keep the wheel mass (rotational inertia) to a minimum. So I now share with you how to install a tubeless tire on a rim with spokes:

Step 1: Lace the motor in the wheel, and spend great care in truing both laterally AND radially, the wheel assembly. You will not be able to adjust the spoke tension after you have performed the necessary steps to make the rim "tubeless compatible".

[youtube]Qfq492nqCGo[/youtube]

Step 2: Drill the valve stem hole to accept a tubeless stem. (I picked up a couple tubeless Schrader valves from my local auto part store.)

Tubeless Valve Stem.jpg

Step 3: Wipe down the rim and Apply 3M 5200 Sealant liberally to all of the nipples and around the valve stem. (3M 5200 is a marine grade sealant, and is in my opinion, THE best sealant ever made. It sticks to almost everything, but be sure NOT to use alcohol in preparation. If need be, use 3M "general Purpose adhesive cleaner" prior to the 5200 Application.) Be sure to apply the sealant around the nipple and on top of the nipple, so the nipple is completely covered. I use nitrile gloves when doing this, as the 5200 will take days to wear off of your hands and skin.)

Sealant.jpg

Step 4: Let the 5200 Cure for 24 hours, then apply one wrap of Gorilla Tape over the nipples and 5200. This acts as a rim strip, and helps to seal the rim.

Gorilla Tape.jpg

Step 5: Mount the Tubeless Tire. - This will probably be the most difficult part of the process. Some tips include using Motorcycle Tire irons to get the tire onto the rim. (Available from Treatland here: http://www.treatland.tv/motion-pro-tire-iron-p/motion-pro-tire-iron.htm
Another tip is to use a solution of concentrated dish soap to lube up the tire and rim. If you've ever watched car tires being installed, it's the same idea. a little soap makes the tire slip on easier. The soap also helps to identify where any micro-leaks might be located, once you pressurize the tire. Also, it's a good idea to use a spray bottle with water and a little bit of soap, and spray the nipple penetrations with this soapy water solution after you have pressurized the tire. Any micro-leaks will quickly show themselves as bubbles emanating from the spoke holes of the rim. If you get any , I'm afraid the remedy is to remove the tire and reapply more 5200 sealant around the affected nipples. (I actually had to do this twice to get all the micro leaks to stop! :| )

Step 6: Inflate the tire. This handy trick using a ratchet strap will help to seat the tire bead onto the rim:
[youtube]D8MFXZr36hs[/youtube]

Step 7: Let the 3M 5200 Sealant cure for a couple days. Technically, it will take up to 7 days to fully cure, and my advice is to wait to run the tire until the 5200 has fully cured, but I think it helps to have the tire inflated and pressure applied to the sealant during the final days of the curing process.

Another advantage of going tubeless is that the wheel seems to be better balanced, compared to running with an inner tube. If needed, adding stick-on wheel weights may be necessary to get a good balance on your wheel.

Tubeless.jpg

And here is our fastest run with this Wheel set-up:
[youtube]R2rI9La023I[/youtube]

Without a safety bead, you still run the risk of significant safety issues. There are companies that make tubeless spoked rims. Smallest I've seen is 18" though.

Jitsie is one, and Morad is the other. They are made for the trials motorcycle realm. So they are aiming for lightweight as well. Much safer than a DIY version with a tube type rim.

Back