Instant Start 18 fet Infineon Boards are here...

bigmoose said:
Mind the amps men... or in this case the mA... It's the mA's that kills not the volts directly. Your skins's contact resistance is key, as is the path thru the heart as Luke mentioned. Left hand thru right foot and you end up in a wooden box. I am thinking of gloving my left hand as I work on these guitar amps... When you work alone, if you go over the edge, you cannot bring yourself back. It's a one way trip. I've watched a 2 inch spark jump to my index finger on my right hand from an unexpected conductive vacuum line on an ion source floating at 150 KV... it blew me off the platform and into a rack of gas bottles... It is on my list of the 6 reasons why I should still not be walking the earth... :wink:

Yes, and that is key. My Uncle was working as a linesman in Massachusetts on live-lines and he had an accident. Nobody spotted anything for quite some time and he eventually died of heart failure in hospital. The moron apprentice who was supposed to be watching him was not. Probably texting his girl-friend or some such nonsense. It was brain-damage and oxygen deprivation that ultimately killed him, not the electrical shock per se. The only sign of shock was a faint red mark on his arm.

http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?3828-Worker-critical-after-shock-from-power-lines

OSHA never even came up with a proper investigation.

Anyways this happened before I became involved with electrical bikes and its why I requested help on the matter of the tab-welder because I was worried about large amperages etc. Now of course I understand the subject matter much much better, but I still take major precautions. My Uncle was an experienced Lineman.

methods said:
You dont need a giant 18 fet controller - you just need one that has 100V caps and 4110 fets.

Lyen started selling a line of controllers based on this thread. He has many flavors in the For Sale section. I think he also has a link in his signiture.
I am selling some 12 fet 40A controllers that work from 36V up to 88V with no mods to the regulator. They have 100V caps and 100V fets.
Look in the for sale section.

-methods
Hello Do you have any programable infineon controllers for sale? I f so, How Much? I need one for my wifes bike so she can keep up. Also, I am trying to figure out how and what program is best to use to adjust the settings if my infineon 18fet controller I purchased controller from another about a month ago. I am willing to pay for help. I have been trying every day for weeks to get a program installed.I have win7 64bit. I've downloaded, unziped extracted, installed reinstalled. Used administrator and turned off all anti virus software. Still no go. I got the farthest with XPD but was stopped by error when I applyed and pressed "the button" on USB adapter.
Will you help or direct me to information I can learn from. I just became a member today but I have been reading the sphere for over a year picking up on all I can. I have seen your name many times soHere I am. Ive read alot about keywin ,xpd and other sources to get this done to no avail. I have made it past port driver and selection. I have been riding electric for 10+yrs.
About a month ago,I decided I had the need for speed so jumped in head first. This program download /install thing is kicking my butt. Please, Please help me get the wind in my hair again. thanks Shuckswon1

shuckswon1 said:
Hello Do you have any programable infineon controllers for sale?

Try the for sale sub forum

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=31

you may have to go back a few pages. Lyen has a few threads there

shuckswon1 said:
Will you help or direct me to information I can learn from.

Use
http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search

rather than the built in site search put http://endless-sphere.com in the site or domain box and search the forum from there.

If you buy a controller fromLyen, then he will supply software, and help you if needed with the instalation. I cant help, I am a Win XP or Mac or linux bloke. never used Win7 yet

Thanks for info and direction NEILP
I see scanning all ES posts about programing inf 18 fets and it looks like I am at least 3 years behind the rest of you. Any body have any ideas what to read so I can KETSUP
The software problem was in my computer. Seems windows 7 is built without a couple of files that are needed to make the program install. I know because program stalled at same point on 2 different computers that both run in windows 7 . They have to be typed manually into drive and it works like a charm. A power greater
than my own opened my eyes to that bit of insight.
Thankyou Sir :shock:

Nice work, Methods. My distant past electronics training is coming back to me. As USB's appeared on the back of computers in those days, allow me a stupid question. Is the USB connection for programming? Data acquisition? Controlling (via CA) or all of the above. This level of eBike technology is outstanding. Here's a big "THANK YOU" to all you guys for doing, and sharing, what you do!

That was only about 300W, Keep tuned exploding fets coming soon :p
Sure Im going to kill another set sometime soon :?

Plenty of spares left Meth?
RS just stung me $30 for the 3 :?
Though that's next day in my letterbox style.

Only problem with exploding fets is exploding driver circuits :?
Anyone help with the smd boot cap values, no info anywhere :? expect theyd be the same for all 18 fet infineon boards.
I got one thats gone, but the in circuit tests of the other fet boot caps show same values,
but different dvm's and scales give the same values good, but anywhere between .5μf-50μf, depending on scale.
Think they are in the low μf's?

Which caps? If you have a pic, point them out in it and psot it, I'll look at one of mine; if they're marked I can read them off or if not I can see what my meters say in-circuit.

This is a different board but the cap would be the same, presumably, not very scientific.Fet gate cap.png

There might be something wrong with my meters, but I can't read any capacitance across any of the caps in or near those positions. :(

Thanks for trying, the thought counts.
Ive been in and out of ES looked for several hours.
Got a lot more knowledge from guys posting previously, but no specifics.

Probably lift a leg of another, cos all those parallel circuits through resistors and junction aren't helping
:?
I'll post the result, when Im done
Cheers

I lifted one next door to broke one, high side duhhh, hoping the same, look alike, in circuit measuring similar values on all scales.
Consistently measured between 6 & 8nf, so looks like high chance of 6.8nf.
Found an old cap with 6.2nf and it measured 6nf on the same fluke, so definitely in the ball park.
Nowhere near what i measured in circuit, been a long time since i worked in electronics pre smd.
Should have known even smd of that value would look different.

Got old MOB's lying around, see if i can find and salvage some of the same.

Lyen started selling a line of controllers based on this thread. He has many flavors in the For Sale section. I think he also has a link in his signiture.
I am selling some 12 fet 40A controllers that work from 36V up to 88V with no mods to the regulator. They have 100V caps and 100V fets.

-methods
This was a very significant R&D project on designing mods and fully testing the 18 FET infineon based controller. Not reading all 900+ posts but enough to get the sense this controller was able to send ALOT of power to the most hungry motors.

As this project completed a couple years ago, it would great to get some feedback on how much performance and refinements are seen in the current lineup of Lyen modded controllers?

windtrader said:

-methods
This was a very significant R&D project on designing mods and fully testing the 18 FET infineon based controller. Not reading all 900+ posts but enough to get the sense this controller was able to send ALOT of power to the most hungry motors.

As this project completed a couple years ago, it would great to get some feedback on how much performance and refinements are seen in the current lineup of Lyen modded controllers?

PFFT. I don't think Lyen even read this thread. From what I have seen he is just selling as many as he can to make quick money. I was able to put over 15,000 watts into a X5304 for a short time with this controller. This is what started it all for me!! :)

Arlo1 said:
windtrader said:

-methods

PFFT. I don't think Lyen even read this thread. From what I have seen he is just selling as many as he can to make quick money. I was able to put over 15,000 watts into a X5304 for a short time with this controller. This is what started it all for me!! :)

As much as there are some better options on the market.. i still run my irfb4110 24 fet eb3 & eb2 series controller...

I have one on my x602 motorcycle class hub.. it sees peaks of 17-18kw on acceleration out of my 24s4p turnigy 20c lipos .. and my pack sees maybe 4-5v voltage drop because of my awsome wiring job..

i've seen it get fairly warm under harsh city driving.. but it is thermally protected.. i think at 80degress when i built it.. and its never hit the cutoff..

i used matched fets from zombies at the time for this specific controller.. and its never blown.. I've built 3 other eb3 series 24fet irfb4110 controller.. 2 for my 2wd bike.. one for my brushless boat motor.. none have blown.. i've run my boat one pertty hot but again never hitting the temp cutoff..

a true controller test is consistant load on the water.. pulling around 5kw constant at around 110 phase 50 amp battery current for few minutes is enough to warm the controller without cooling.. i really would like to try a sine wave controller to see the differences.. but thats when i have funds avaliable to test..

-steveo

The 18FET IRFB4110 controller is a great match for the 45mm MXUS motors.
Does 60 mph on the 3T and 80A battery & 180A phase, 100V LiPo.

teslanv said:
The 18FET IRFB4110 controller is a great match for the 45mm MXUS motors.
Does 60 mph on the 3T and 80A battery & 180A phase, 100V LiPo.
That is significant validation this controller can endure a hefty surge of power as in your run at the track.

If not stock and modded, what has been upgraded?

What voltage-amp combinations can it deliver continuous for long life and durability?

Your ad page does not state sine-wave, assume it is not. How much noisier and less smooth would you say it is over a sine wave unit?

windtrader said:
That is significant validation this controller can endure a hefty surge of power as in your run at the track.

If not stock and modded, what has been upgraded?

What voltage-amp combinations can it deliver continuous for long life and durability?

Your ad page does not state sine-wave, assume it is not. How much noisier and less smooth would you say it is over a sine wave unit?

Upgrades include 10AWG Phase Wires, 8AWG Battery Wires, R12 Mod for Regen up to 100V.

Recommended Volts: 20S (84V) and lower for continuous operation
Recommended Current: 60A Battery and lower for continuous operation

It is not sine wave. The motor growls a bit, especially at low RPM/High Current.

A controller? Sure. There's a bunch of development threads you can follow for how to design and build one, from little es8-sized stuff up to drag-race-car-level power. But it is not easy or cheap (you'll probably blow up a lot of parts in development, and you'll need various bits of test equipment that will not be that cheap); if you are trying to save money, building one yourself won't do that. ;)

Back