Internal resistance, Do I need to act now?

mxer

1 kW
I have a 6s 10AH multistar performing fantastic all cells within 2mv of each other, excellent performance for 6 months now..

I recently purchased a Smart ir Reader. My cell count are as follows.
1=065
2=05
3=05
4=05
5=06
6=011

Cell 1 looks a little odd, do I need to do anything?, if anything can be done?.

Like I said everything is perfect performance and balance wise.

first of all it what be useful to know WHAT device exactly you bought to know what those values really mean.
are those mOhm? why is there a ZERO in front of the values?
if one cell is 65mOhm and the others are 2mOhm then YES, then you have a problem. this cell will drain much faster and will get hot.
but tbh i doubt the values shown. 5mOhm is very good, and 65mOhm is WAY too high.

I pretty much test by use, but played with testing resistance once. Fwiw I don't think such a discrepency is 'real world' (possible connection/wiring issues), if the pack maintains balance for you. Maintaining balance is the big factor imo, and measuring IR will typically just show what the weakest links are. Those weakest links will sag lower on discharge and higher on charge, and if that presses their limits they'll degrade all that much more faster than the rest. If resting balance upon discharge and (nonbalanced) charge remains good I'd say the 5x IR reading of one cell isn't accurate or that you're not using enough 'C' for it to matter. Still something to watch though.

Cell one always works harder in any string. Whatever the numbers mean, its not much different than the others, except cell 6.

Now if the others were .05 and cell one was .6, that would mean cell one was hurtin.

You'll know by the puff when it gets really bad.

Obviously not a very reliable ir checker as the values are different today?. Unless I did something wrong before as it's a new toy, lol..

I feel better now, thanks.

My batteries are enclosed 12s so only main and balance tabs available for any evidence of I'll health, hence why I like to keep an eye on what's going on.

Back