• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Internally geared hub as a jackshaft

mechanix

100 W
This actually isn't for an electric bike, it's for my downhill bike. It keeps destroying derailleurs, and I've decided to use an internally-geared hub as a jackshaft to eliminate the need for a derailleur. I figured that this would be the best place to ask my questions because of the wealth of knowledge on this forum. :D Not very much power will be going through this hub, as it will be used to downhill mountain biking. My main criteria for choosing a hub is:

1. Narrow form factor
2. Lightweight
2. Compatible with a trigger shifter
3. 7 or more gears
3. Inexpensive

It will be going on a 2007 kona stinky with a floating brake, my bike is similar to this one:

2K7_STINKYDELUXE.jpg

This is what gave me the idea:

http://www.gizmag.com/zeroed-g1-mountain-bike/18570/

The shimano line of hubs are looking promising... Thanks in advance for the input!

Joel

Interesting article - I can see they get a few advantages at the expense of a fair bit of weight. At first glance I thought is was an insane idea!
Main advantage seems to be that by pivoting the rear suspension triangle high up they "eliminate pedal bob" - Very interesting!
Major changes to the kona to move the rear suspension pivot: - you really want it to pivot round the IGH axle to keep chain tight - should be doable though.

what about the Suntour Vboxx like they use on a Stealth Bomber?

DL manual of it: http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/customGates/scripts/download.php?filename=owners_manuals_2010/2010_OWNERS_MANUAL_VBOXX.pdf

Paul G

I'm building something like this, any sugestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0228 (1).JPG
    IMG_0228 (1).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,013
spinningmagnets said:
I've been interested in this for a while. Not interested enough to actually build something, but...I did save a pic.

Italjet5.png
That geometry also allows the use of belts without needing a frame break.

Back